Wobbly snow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #16
Major Player

The snow is practically constant so it shouldn't be thermal or autofocus related. Autofocus does not seam to hunt, it actually has tons of depth of field.

I think it's a combination of OIS, rolling shutter and high frame rate. OIS is IMHO not fast enough and some of the frames catch OIS in motion which makes the rolling shutter problem appear. Same as shaking the camera vertically without OIS. Just a theory:)
John Papadopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

If we're having a straw poll on this, my vote is that its a thermal effect - you can see rails that must lead to a door, where quite probably one would expect to find an overhead heater bellowing a heat curtain (as found in many public buildings in cold lattitudes).

Colin, you mention you were outside, perhaps the door nearby was opened during the shot? Can you recall any nearby heat sources other than yourself - or maybe you removed gloves exposing toasty hands ...? ;0)

It's definitely something that deserves some more testing!

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #18
Trustee

It's isolated and looks thermal to me.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #19
Regular Crew

A good way to test the rolling shutter theory would be to setup a CCD camera alongside shooting at 60fps (eg, an HD250) to see if the same effect is present.

Colin, do you have access to any other CCD cameras on campus that you could do a quick comparison with?

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #20
Trustee

I'm not following anyone who thinks this is a rolling shutter artifact, please explain.

I've shot rain, moving water, why would snow be any different.

This isn't the first time I've (and many) have seen this type of thermal wave distortion.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
It's isolated and looks thermal to me.
Isolated being the key word here. It can't be rolling shutter because of this very fact.
It sure as hell looks like a thermal to me.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds