Back Pack suitable for the EX-3... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
Ted, I spoke to Continental Airline - I travel to Beijing 3 times per year with them from Newark.

They calculate a carry-on at being 51 inches total size - LxWxH.
I don't fly Continental very often, so I decided to go to each of the airlines that fly to the cities I frequent. Hopefully, this will be of some help:

These airlines limit carry-ons based on total size - L+W+H

55" limit - AirTran (Wow!)
51" limit - Continental, US Air
50" limit - Virgin
45" limit - American, Delta, Northwest

These airlines limit carry-ons based on actual dimensions

26x18x12 (56) - Jet Blue (certain planes) - (Wow!!)
24x16x10 (50) - Jet Blue (certain planes), Southwest
22x14x9 (45) - United
22x13x10 (45) - Spirit

So, this bag is within or very close to the restrictions on these airlines:
AirTran, Continental, US Air, Virgin, Jet Blue

And it is a little larger (by seven inches) than the restrictions on these airlines:
American, Delta, Northwest, United, and Spirit

Bear in mind what Jon said when speaking to Continental; being a little over the limit won't necessarily exclude your luggage from carry-on. I'd feel pretty confident with the first five airlines, and a little nervous with the second five.

I suppose, if it came down to it and there was not enough room, I could remove the camera and hand over the bag for them to check after I'd boarded. Of course, I'd really rather not check anything in that bag.

Hope this information helps someone... I'm probably going to cross my fingers and buy the 502.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Excellent information Ted.

Also bear in mind the trend for them to charge for carry-ons. This gives them an extra incentive plus carry-ons are less expensive long-term for them (handling-lost luggage etc), so the airline wants to to be on your side with check-ins.
With the 502 bag, I would not carry on a 2nd small hand-size bah or laptop - that just may push them over the top (or limit!).

The EX-3 is taller than I expected - ie, the viewfinder sticks out but also slightly up, so it's more exposed than I imagined. I must have 7 or 8 bags/cases here in my studio and the Ex-3 was fine in only two - one was a rolling cases (check-in only) and the other was a tight squeeze in a portabrace shoulder carry bag, but left no space for anything else and little protection near the viewfinder.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #18
Major Player

Charging for carry-ons? I've not heard this before. Or did you mean charging for checked baggage?
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Charging for carry-ons? I've not heard this before.
Check here for a comprehensive overview: Airline Carry-On Baggage Chart. The chart is also available on Rick Seaney's Farecompare.com site. Rick provides valuable travel information for free and it is my fav site for getting the best booking deals.

George/

P.S. Never meant to imply that the chart was my work.

Last edited by George Kroonder; August 4th, 2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Made clear that this is just a reference. Corrected a typo.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Check here for a comprehensive overview: Airline Carry-On Baggage Chart.

George/
George, that's just cheating to post someone else's work.

(Don't I feel silly trying to build it myself!)

Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #21
Major Player

The BP-502 looks like the choice for me as well. The trolly system is included which is nice.
Ted, can you give us a report when you receive the BP-502? Thanks, Larry
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
The BP-502 looks like the choice for me as well. The trolly system is included which is nice.
Ted, can you give us a report when you receive the BP-502? Thanks, Larry
Larry, the BP-502 doesn't come with the dolly, but the BP-502-T package (which may not be available currently) does come with it.
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #23
Major Player

B&H states it comes free with this link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

Maybe I should call them first.
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
B&H states it comes free with this link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

Maybe I should call them first.
Awesome! I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing it out, as I'm preparing to buy right now.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #25
Major Player

The 502 is not sold with the dolly wheels - not even Kata have this option from their site - However, B & H offer them at an inclusive price of $299.95.

Bear in Mind that without the wheels the 502 is $269 at some places - this is what I paid, as I already own the Kata dolly wheels.

The wheels cost $50, so it's still a good deal from B & H if you want the wheels.

One thing about this backpack - like most Kata Bags - you need an instruction book!! I am not kidding, I have asked them but they do not supply any information. This is a serious bag with tons of options, straps, extra stuff, that you need to know where it all goes!
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
The 502 is not sold with the dolly wheels - not even Kata have this option from their site - However, B & H offer them at an inclusive price of $299.95.

Bear in Mind that without the wheels the 502 is $269 at some places - this is what I paid, as I already own the Kata dolly wheels.

The wheels cost $50, so it's still a good deal from B & H if you want the wheels.

One thing about this backpack - like most Kata Bags - you need an instruction book!! I am not kidding, I have asked them but they do not supply any information. This is a serious bag with tons of options, straps, extra stuff, that you need to know where it all goes!
Adorama used to have the BP-502-T package:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...d&sku=KABP502T

but it is no longer available.

Tapeworks Texas quoted me $249 for the bag - I suppose the wheels will probably bring it to an even $300.

Jon, did I hear you correctly? Did you say that you were putting together an instructional video for the EX3 and the Kata BP-502? Hey, that's swell! :-)

If you do have a moment, I'd be intersted in a photo of how you've laid things out - might give people a starting point.
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #27
Major Player

I have not packed for a trip yet, so the bag is roughly packed lightly.

I have the main divider bent to one side to allow for the EX-3 side grip control.
I have charger, two microphones, shock mount on one side (left). On the right I have batteries, Kata rain slik, two Lav wireless mics, Expresscards etc.
I did place a small divider at the front - next to the camera hood, to hold the cam in place vertical length-wise. These extra pockets and the camera are accessible through the dome-flap, so you do not expose the entire insides when you need the camera - howver the EX-3 is a little large to drag through this hole!

As you see the interior pockets can be covered with a lid to stop all the stuff from being thrown around. This works as I swung the bag like a cat to check!
Attached Thumbnails
Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-img_1441.jpg   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-img_1442.jpg  

Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-img_1443.jpg  
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #28
Major Player

Hey Jon,
Is this bag working out for you? I am only worried about size requirements with carry-on luggage. Do you feel it will be able to be carried on with all major airlines? I will be flying to Africa in the winter with Royal Air Morac. I'll have to check their size requirements. If only Sony adopted Canon's XL series idea to have the ability to detach the viewfinder. That was a really solid design which allowed me to detach the viewfinder when I transported it in a smaller backpack like my Lowell Pro Photo Trekker. At the time I used a Lowell Pro Photo Trekker which I still own. I really like the size of this bag. I transported two XH-A1's in it and it has never failed. I also used it to transport an XL2 back in the day when I traveled to Argentina. The first camera I used with this bag was a Canon L1 (Hi8). I bought it in 1997! Here is a pic of the EX3 in the same bag. I feel it needs more height clearance as I don't want to rub off or stress the viewfinder.
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #29
Major Player

Pics of the Photo Trekker.

Forgot to attach the photos of my current bag. Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-img_1225.jpg   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-img_1226.jpg  

Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...-img_1227.jpg  
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Hi,
Can someone confirm pls. that the laptop compartment of the BP-502 would fit a 17" as well

Thnks,
Atti

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds