Setting white balance on EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Setting white balance on EX3

Even after reading the manual, I still don't understand how to set WB manually and by advancing the color temp. Any quick tips on how to manually set the white balance on the EX3? Maybe there is a YouTube video on this. Thanks, Larry
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

workaround

I don't know, but I have some colored papersheets to set the temp, call it manually adjustment. For example I use a light blue sheet to handle winter shots.
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
Even after reading the manual, I still don't understand how to set WB manually and by advancing the color temp. Any quick tips on how to manually set the white balance on the EX3? Maybe there is a YouTube video on this. Thanks, Larry
Manual WB: Toggle the WHITE BAL switch to A (which is what I use to store the temp WB). Place a white sheet or use a white area (wall etc) to zoom into fully in the viewfinder. Set up your exposure (ND filters, iris etc). Press the small WHT BAL button located under the lens mount to the left side of the cam.
That's it. The setting is stored in A and will show in the viewfinder on the lower left corner with a temperature number - ie, W:A 5200K.
I use a soft white card for my WB and then adjust temp afterward. So if I balance and it 4800k and I feel this is still too cool, I will tweak this up to 5000 -warmer, by using my picture profiles.
Also make sure you do not have viewfinder direct menu set to 'all' as WB cannot be changed in this mode.
Hope this helps.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I do essentially the same as Jon, but instead of white balancing on a white card, I frequently will use a warm card so that I don't need to tweak it afterwards.

www.warmcards.com

You can get "too" warm pretty quickly, though. I usually just go with the 1/2 Warm one and content look natural, healthy, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds