new ex1 firmware out - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #136
Trustee

Hmm...
That sounds like a familiar list! LOL
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #137
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Hmm...
That sounds like a familiar list! LOL
1 and 2 were indeed problems with cameras that came off the production line early on. By June, I was told by Sony that all those issues had been identified and rectified in the assembly line. That includes the flange back issues with ND on. Obviously, for those who got early cameras, a trip to the service center should fix those problems.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #138
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I sent my EX1 in to service center in LA, two weeks ago. My emails to LA Service result in a reply by the next day, however, the info provided is simply "the engineer has your camera and is working on it". When I've asked when they expect to have it returned, I'm told "stop asking us, we'll let you know when it's ready".

All in all, I'm not happy with Sony Corp.
I hear you Bill! San Jose is completely disorganized. after a week and a half, when I called about the status of mine, they said it was done and scheduled for shipment. when I asked for the tracking #, they gave me the tracking # for my shipment of the camera from me to them! they then said it would ship the next day, so after calling them for the next 3-4 days get to get a tracking #, they then said it was with the engineer and hadn't shipped yet. several days later it just showed up on my doorstep (of course I was out at the time and came home to find my $7k camera just sitting on my porch). hence my reluctance to send my EX1 to the service center again anytime soon...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #139
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Steve...
1-battery drain issue
2-labels wearing off of the switches
3-firmware update to 1.11

Just got an email saying my EX1 was ready and is being returned today, 9-15-08
Bill, were you concerned about the backfocus issue?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #140
Regular Crew

Sony has failed to understand the real market demands

Hi there,

This is just to let you know how the firmware war is doing in the Nordic

On the 4th September I've ordered a camera pick up for the EX1 because of the firmware 1.11

The Silver Support for Europe made the arrangement which includes the following (free):
1. the transport box where the camera needs to be packed arrives
2. the following day or the time you specified the currier picks the packed camera
3. the repair centre in France does the magic
4. the currier hands you over your updated - fixed camera
All these should happen within 7 business days

The problem in our case kicked off when we reached point no. 2
because I asked Sony to arrange the pick up with a four days delay to the box's arrival.
We planned that the camera can be spared from the 15th but needed back with the updated firmware from the 22nd Sept.

AND THE COLD SHOWER:
Although it was set it has never been picked up on the 15.9
Numerous calls to Sony Prime and UPS Finland brought no solution, they were pointing at each other while the clock was ticking.

Today as a result of a desperate phone call after an email which actually remained unanswered from Prime Support brought in a handy solution:
Prime Support has appointed an authorized Sony dealer in the capital area of Finland to carry out the firmware update for us, so there's no longer needed to send the unit to France. This should have been offered from the first minute after Sony announced the new firmware.
( Sony however still refused to authorize the update by us - users )

This issue shows clearly how wrongly Sony assessed the market's need and lost obviously money and costumer satisfaction on some totally useless support service.
The EX1 was truly welcomed and purchased by a lot of small businesses, where one week turnover (for a half an hour procedure) is simply an unacceptable condition.

What say you SONY???

Last edited by Attila Cser; September 17th, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Attila Cser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #141

Got my EX1 back, today. New firmware, new rear panel and battery drain issue fixed. The paperwork I got back from Sony Service confirmed all the problems i reported(backfocus issue, battery drain overnite, silkscreen labels wearing off)

Haven't had time to check the backfocus yet, but, the image seems sharper and focusing seems snappier.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM   #142
New Boot

Got my EX1 back from the LA service center today. Brought it in asking for the new firmware, the battery drain fix, a remote control that never worked, and a general cleaning/checkup. Got it back a week later.

The tech notes indicate that they:

- replaced the lens(!)
- firmware update
- new power supply circuit boards
- new rear cabinet panel
- new remote
- new mic holder and screws

My unit serial number is in the lower 400's and came with firmware 1.02. Other than the new menu options, don't notice a change in image quality. Never noticed any vignetting before the repairs. The new rear panel looks a little Franken-bolted, but otherwise seems solid.

All said, I'm glad I took it in while the warranty was still valid. Hopefully future firmware updates will be free and user-installable.
Taran Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM   #143
Trustee

Replaced the lens....???
Why, did you mention there was a problem?... hmmmm
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM   #144
Major Player

Welcome to the club. I'm on my second lens.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM   #145
Major Player

Did you sense a change in the feeling of the new lense ? Maybe it's less "loose" than the original one for the zoom ?
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #146
New Boot

I didn't notice any lens issues before the repairs, and the only lens item I asked the tech to look at was backfocus adjustment. The Sony engineer called and told me he was replacing the lens, but we had some language barriers that made it hard for me to understand why it needed to be replaced. I'll be shooting some tests this weekend to see if the new lens makes a visible difference. It doesn't feel any firmer.
Taran Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #147
Major Player

Actually, I was wrong earlier. I'm on my third lens! The original lens had some crud inside it so they replaced it along with the ND filter set. That replacement lens stopped focusing to infinity (manual or auto) so it went back again. The third lens has been fine and I never noticed any mechanical differences between them in terms of focus feel.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #148
Major Player

Outrageous Sony LA Repair Center

Sent in my Ex1 for 1.11 firmware update. I expected to pay $100 plus shipping. Boy was I surprised. Got a fax saying 100 + 20 handling + 23.50 shipping + 19.40 insurance. (I sent it to them FedEx 2 day with $8000 insurance for $7.19 total.) For a grand total of 172.20

It said if I did nothing within 5 days, they'd ship it back and charge me one hour ($130) plus shipping, tax and insurance TOTAL $182.20

If I "decline" the estimate, it's even better. TWO HOURS diagnostic (apparently it takes a long time to do nothing to the camera) for a total of $302.90!

This is absurd. I may have to Twitter this one.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #149
Sony Electronics

new ex1 firmware out

In the US, there is no charge for the firmware itself, but there is a charge for labor by the service depot (charges are less than the normal hourly rate) plus inbound shipping if required. Version 1.11 requires multiple installs in a predetermined sequence. If the upgrade is not performed correctly the camera may become inoperative... Therefore, in spite of any rumors, Sony did not envisioned user upgrade.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics
Juan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #150
Trustee

Thank you Juan for courageously representing Sony's postion.

I'm sincerely outraged for Ronn. If Sony needs to charge for labor, why not state the labor amount rather than conceal it inside inflated bogus charges for shipping, handling and insurance? It's not ethical.

I also disagree with the characterization of the upgrade procedure. I performed it myself. It was not beyond my skills as a user. The upgrade process was successful following the straightforward instructions. Why not put a disclaimer on it, that the owner would have to pay the repair charges if the process went wrong?

It would be a much more environmentally green approach to repair the few cameras that got bricked by their owners, than wasting time, fuel and energy to transport these cameras needlessly.

The policy motives are not logical, nor consistent with concerns for the customer or the environment.

The EX1 is a good camera. The corporate policy makes me want to break from Sony. When or if Canon responds to the marketplace, the way things stand now I probably will.

/rant_off
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds