new ex1 firmware out - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #151
Inner Circle

I'd add that many of us live near Sony PRO Authorized service centers. Any trained tech should be able to do this.

The cost of shipping, insurance and, maybe even more importantly for some of us, downtime, makes this very expensive.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #152
Major Player

See attached fax. Please, Sony person, explain this.
Attached Thumbnails
new ex1 firmware out-sony.jpg  
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #153
Trustee

Ronn,
That's standard language I suspect they have some discretion to apply or not.
What about the quote for shipping, handling and insurance, or the other 2 pages of the fax? Yours is not really a repair, it's a firmware upgrade, so diagnostics presumably would not have been necessary if you were to decline the upgrade.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #154
Trustee

Your numbers are off a little bit as well...

$100.00

$170.09

And what is the return shipping mode? Perhaps Sony is quoting overnite?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #155
Major Player

sony is not making firmware user-upgradeable because it might brick the camera if not done correctly? isnt that usually how firmware works in most devices? yeah if you pull power while the update is running it will make the device inoperable... people generally understand that risk. and some people would still send it in. why cant sony just be more clear and give us the firmware update and tell us how to do it and say do it at your own risk, at worst someone bricks their camera and has to pay sony for the repair. that way more business for sony if people are overconfident and at least we the users have options.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #156
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
at worst someone bricks their camera and has to pay sony for the repair. that way more business for sony if people are overconfident and at least we the users have options.

Yes, this is the only disclaimer Sony will need.
I can't imagine why they would want the burden to update all these cameras.

Self firmware upgrades are offered for end users all the time.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #157
New Boot

These are interesting threads.

I'm in the UK and very soon I have to buy a new camcorder. The EX1 on the face of it has excellent optics - a new benchmark in theory. However, the range of issues you people have suffered does not inspire much confidence in a purchase.

This camcorder is a lot of money to me so I have to think long and hard about my choices. Does anyone know if I could just drive up to the South Wales factory that posters have found and buy direct? If so, surely this would ensure that all of the problems have been ironed out?

I feel frustrated just reading through all of your posts and I sympathise with all of you. It almost seems like the manufacturer has used you as guinea pigs instead of paying for a truly thorough testing process.

The Sony Z7 has also suffered from some of these issues it seems, so does it follow that the imminent Z5 (similar & same family) should in theory work straight out of the box - yes?!

Regards

Paul
Paul Miley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #158
Major Player

Don't get scared off by the sum of everybodys problems in this forum. I've had the camera since december with the very first firmware. It has been working like a charm for me. Sure - I've had to learn a few workarounds and software support was not that great until this summer. But now that the camera is upgraded to 1.11 it is better than ever. A great reliable camera - in my opinion!
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #159
New Boot

Thankyou for the endorsement Ola. It is nice to know that someone is using the EX1 hassle free.

However, it is the 'sum of everybodys problems' that hangs over my decision-making like a black cloud. To have so many issues (and if you look through the long list - everything from replacement circuit boards to lens changes for the third time) causes deep concern.

It can't be the case that millions of these units have been sold like consumer cams. Therefore the problems seems disproportionate for this model.

Nothing in the Panasonic range seems to grab my attention (I've bought a number of Panasonic and Sony cams in the past) and if I can buy a fully working EX1 then theoretically it should outperform the forthcoming Z5 image-wise (though it doesn't have the safety of a dual recording facility within that price bracket).

I can afford to dither up until about Christmas time before I am forced to make a final decision!

Thanks

Paul
Paul Miley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #160
Major Player

Hi paul, I have owned the EX1 from the day it came out and never had one issue with it. Works pefectly.
Cheers
Steve
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #161
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Don't get scared off by the sum of everybodys problems in this forum. I've had the camera since december with the very first firmware. It has been working like a charm for me. Sure - I've had to learn a few workarounds and software support was not that great until this summer. But now that the camera is upgraded to 1.11 it is better than ever. A great reliable camera - in my opinion!
Yes, Same for me. I love this camera. Really, the only issue, that would lead me to change the EX1 for a EX3, is the lack of remote control interface. I mean, you can only control zoom and start/stop. The EX3 provide focus, aperture... everything in fact :)

So, I just got my camera back from prime support. My EX1 was one of the first delivered to France, december 2007.
Firmware is upgraded to 1.11. Backfocus problem is gone.
Even if they said the battery drain issue was fixed, it is still here. Battery is used in one day.
They also "lost" the metal piece covering the screw of the light shoe.
I also have a metalic noise when I move the camera... Did they lost the metal piece inside the camera, in the XLR space ?

I really think I will have to send the camera back :)
I will have to call them again today.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #162
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Miley View Post
it is the 'sum of everybodys problems' that hangs over my decision-making like a black cloud
The nature of forums is that people go there with their problems. That systemic bias should not deter you.

Some users' experience is bad, esp. with support issues; just make sure if that would apply to you. Customer support has not gotten high marks all around in the US or even in the EU (but we're really used to that).

Ronns' case seems egregious to me, but Juan Martinez' involvement in this thread is really a good thing and hopefully this will be resolved to some degree of satisfaction.

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; October 9th, 2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Small edit.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #163
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
The nature of forums is that people go there with their problems. That systemic bias should not deter you.
That's exactly right. A common analogy is to point out how nobody calls the police to report a good day without trouble... it's sort of like that.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #164
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
That's exactly right. A common analogy is to point out how nobody calls the police to report a good day without trouble... it's sort of like that.
Chris, well put.

Paul, don't give up. Many who complain (sometimes me ;)) would not give up their EX1 for something else.
The image quality is excellent.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #165
Major Player

Paul, I have an EX1 that has been back to Sony Pencoed for firmware upgrade and was turned around in 2 days with great service from the staff. The EX1 is a superb camera giving spectacular results. I think that now Sony UK is treating us with more understanding we can have confidence in the EX1/3 products. I will certainly be investing in future EX products.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds