new ex1 firmware out - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #16
Trustee

that is poor
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
free with silver support in eu
Hooray!

I'm still pootling along with 1.03, so I get erratic up/down movement when I'm using the menus under pressure, the shot transition is horribly out of sync and there's some other voodoo that crops up but not enough to remember (apart from the paint around my ND switch).

Having successfully nailed jelly to the wall with back focus, would love to have Sony oil and grease its silicon chips, but not if it re-introduces a bunch of problems.

Just seeking reassurance - this one's watertight?
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #18
Trustee

Who knows. Is anything ever water tight. I am getting mine sent in this week to be done. May as well even though I have no current plans for the 32gb cards or the hard drive. It will just bring them into line with the ex3
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Who knows. Is anything ever water tight.
After all, these are just computers with a bit of glass in front. And one-point-oh-dear isn't very comfortable.

Just as wary of software with an '0' in its name as one would be of oysters gathered when there's not an R in the month.
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Yes, Matt. I agree totally. But I am always impressed with the overall stability of these computers even at the 1.0x stage.

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; August 25th, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
After all, these are just computers with a bit of glass in front.
like this illustration, a complete new way of looking at my cam!

rgds, eva

Last edited by Eva Sturm; August 25th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Eva Sturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #22
Wrangler

Sorry guys, we've removed that link. The documents contained Sony Confidential information. DVINFO does not allow posting links to files not intended for the general public.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Not sure what the big secret is all about....but if you google "Sony EX1 1.11 firmware" you will find a link to a publicly available page on the SONY website where you can download the firmware and instructions on how to update your EX1.
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I would think most folks would want to download the firm ware update just to get at the items that are fixed from reading the readme file alone....

looks to be a good update...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kendal View Post
Not sure what the big secret is all about....but if you google "Sony EX1 1.11 firmware" you will find a link to a publicly available page on the SONY website where you can download the firmware and instructions on how to update your EX1.
The website in question is located in Sony Korea. And the 'big secret' is the fact that those files are not supposed to be available. I've already spoken to someone here in the US about it. Someone in Korea messed up.

Do you feel entitled to obtain a company's proprietary and confidential information because someone left the door unlocked? If I find videos and other intellectual property on your website can I have them for free even though you would normally charge for such material?

As always, there's a difference between what you can do and what you should do.

Sony America is aware of the user's desire to have the firmware at no charge. I believe they are working toward that end but the camera will still need to go in for the procedure.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #26
Major Player

The information below I have copied from another forum because I think it is relevant to a number of questions that have been raised here:

Subject: RE: Does the PMW EX1 shoot 1080P or 1080PsF?
From: "Martinez, Juan (Park Ridge)" <Juan.A.Martinez@am.sony.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:03:00 +0100
X-Message-Number: 3

Hello, this is Juan Martinez, I work for Sony.

Regarding the EX1 update firmware: Look for an official announcement in the next two or three weeks. In a nutshell, the new firmware enables the use of 32GB cards and PHU60K HDD recorder. Other enhancements are:
23.98PsF "progressive segmented frame", EE output via HDSDI, several additional shutter speeds, REC indication on the LCD/ EVF even if data display is set to OFF, Chinese language menus, enrichment of the "clip menu" and other minor changes. All of these are market driven. EX3 and all EX1 shipped by Sony on the send half of August have the latest firmware. Early EX1 require a firmware update to acquire the functionality described above.

I would like to elaborate on some points. EX cameras record true native progressive at 23.98, 25, 30, 50, & 60p. When the camera is in the progressive mode the imagers always run at 1920 x 1080p. So, when shooting at 720p at 50 or 60 fps the EX's imager and DSP front-end run at full raster 1920 x 1080 50p or 60p. The 1280x720 signal is derived from the 1920x1080p signal by an advanced filtering algorithm similar to what is in our $100K+ cameras. Oversampling has two major benefits over using a camera with native 1280x720 imagers:
1- Less aliasing (strong aliasing sets in at over 600TVLPH on 2/3-inch native 1280x720 imagers)
2- Better MTF.

EX progressive signal recordings are always stored to the SxS cards in its native progressive frame rate and resolution. Therefore, the data ingested by the NLE will also be native progressive

We added PsF to the EX3 and EX1 HDSDI EE output due to user requests.
This feature enables capturing the EX's clean, live camera10-bit 4:2:2 progressive signal directly by NLE. The NLE's capture utility recognizes the PsF payload as a true signal and stores it as such. PsF frees the user from having to apply reverse telecine such as Adobe After-Effects or Cinema Tools in post to remove pull down.

Please note that the PHU60K has an USB 2.0 interface, therefore, over or
under cranking is not possible. SxS cards have a PCI Express 2.5GB
interface type and transfer at 800Mbps. We looked into certifying non SxS cards for EX but the results were very poor; ranging from not meeting their own specs to taking a long while to do so....

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager Technology
Sony Electronics Inc.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Did anybody try to update with the file from the korean site?
I have an important job with the camera tomorrow so I don't risk it.
Will try tomorrow afternoon
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
As always, there's a difference between what you can do and what you should do.

Sony America is aware of the user's desire to have the firmware at no charge. I believe they are working toward that end but the camera will still need to go in for the procedure.

There is some evidence of this on the Abel CineTech EX1/3 pages. There you will find "Software Downloads" in the Resources pane. Follow through and you arrive at an official Sony US site with firmware updates available for download but us mere mortals. The "XDCAM: Downloads" header reveals firmware updates for the F300 and 700 series Camcorders.

So clearly user firmware updates on Sony XDCAM are in the public domain, downloadable from a credible Sony US web site. Obviously, the infrastructure is in place. We can only hope that Sony will feel inspired enough to add the downloadable firmware updates for XDCAM EX1/3 Camcorders ... in response to customer needs.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
There is some evidence of this on the Abel CineTech EX1/3 pages. There you will find "Software Downloads" in the Resources pane. Follow through and you arrive at an official Sony US site with firmware updates available for download but us mere mortals. The "XDCAM: Downloads" header reveals firmware updates for the F300 and 700 series Camcorders.

So clearly user firmware updates on Sony XDCAM are in the public domain, downloadable from a credible Sony US web site. Obviously, the infrastructure is in place. We can only hope that Sony will feel inspired enough to add the downloadable firmware updates for XDCAM EX1/3 Camcorders ... in response to customer needs.
Yeah... While of course Greg is right about the difference between what one can, and what one should do, I've a gut feeling that Sony has planned to start charging for EX1 fw updates (at least for those adding "new" functionalities, like the HDD handling) from the very beginning, and never allowed the users to do it themselves for this very reason. Not a very decent attitude, considering it's free for those lucky ones who are buying their EX1's now, after we have made our free beta testing...

Whether this entitles us to use their own "confidential" data somebody left accessible by mistake, is therefore a question of a more ethical than technical kind. Most certainly though a forum like this should not openly contain links to this stuff, if it's not intended for public access. Let everyone make his own decision :)
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #30
Major Player

But doesn't the silver support include firmware upgrades? My camera is in for upgrade and some other fixes right now. Surely they are not going to charge for it?!
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds