new ex1 firmware out - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #121
Major Player

I think they are probably saying if you brick your camera while trying to upgrade yourself it will not be covered under warranty as you are not suppose to upgrade yourself... Once it has been upgraded to 1.11 there is no way to tell you who actually upgraded it... it may store the date info for when it was updated but not that Jo Blow decided to do this himself and it was not actually done by Sony themselves...
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #122
Major Player

"probably"? im just not sure i want to risk my warranty over it. we dont know for sure if they can tell, right? when it talked to the guy at sony i couldnt tell i he knew i had 1.05 based on my registration info that i gave him or if he just assumed it since i was calling about the upgrade. im not that concerned with bricking my camera since there are a few reports of success and no reports of bricking and it doesnt sound like a complicated process at all. someone on this forum was saying it didnt work the first time but worked the second time so seems like even if you dont do it correctly youll likely just have to try again and it wont leave your camera bricked. of course if you pull the cord in the middle of updating that might be a different issue.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #123
Trustee

"I think" that someone who said it did not work the first time forgot to power cycle the camera between versions 1.10 and 1.11... and did so the second time.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #124
Trustee

Does 'minor bug fixes' include audio tweaks?

I'm waiting for a 'window of opportunity' to get my EX1 sorted before November, but still passionately interested to hear from anyone at 1.11 regarding the Audio level controls.

At 1.03, there appears to be a length of knicker elastic connecting the audio level wheels to the actual level circuits. Twiddle a knob, wait a few seconds, and eventually the audio circuit responds.

You don't ride the levels, you waterski behind them. Or so it seems.

Has this been improved?

... Before I gas on to some poor Sony rep at IBC...
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
Once it has been upgraded to 1.11 there is no way to tell you who actually upgraded it...
...on the camera. But Sony seems to log history on its camera's (the service bulletin for the update mentions all camera's that already have been upgraded). So if it's not on their system, they didn't perform it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
it may store the date info for when it was updated but not that Jo Blow decided to do this himself and it was not actually done by Sony themselves...
I doubt it would be an issue unless things went wrong during the upgrade (FW upgrades are very reliable however) or on related work that should have been carried out, but wasn't (who knows?).

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #126
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Has this been improved?
It's a bit of Janglish, but here's the list of improvements and Bugs (v1.1) for the EX1:

[Addition of New Functions and Improvement of Functions]
1) SxS 32GB, PHU-60K is supported.
2) The 24Psf signal output is supported in the Camera Mode.
3) Chinese menu is supported.
4) Clip Number Reset function is changed to the Clip Number Set so that arbitrary number can be
entered.
5) The Clip > Update function is added in the MENU so that the management data inside the
media can be restored manually.
6) Number of the shutter speed choices is increased.
7) It is improved that the REC mark can be displayed even during LCD Display OFF.
8) Audio distortion is decreased. (TRIM level is changed to the 6 dB step when operated from the
menu.)
9) It is improved that the picture does not swing during the REC Review mode.

[Bug Correction]
1) The trouble is corrected that an error occurs when switchover of the media slots takes place
during continuous recording with the i.LINK connected.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #127
Trustee

#6 - More shutter speed choices.

If Sony's position is to force me to send in the camera for easy firmware fixes like this, my response will be to see what the next generation from Canon brings, and postpone consideration of all Sony accessories like high capacity storage drives and media until that time.

Edit:

And actually, there already are far more choices of shutter speed within the existing firmware, by choosing the "ECS" shutter mode. You can choose any shutter speed you want in 1 unit increments (or less) from the range of 1/60.02 to 1/2018.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #128
Trustee

I hear you Tom.
The number ONE reason for me to upgrade is the possibility of using 32GB memory cards.
This is great for event work.
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #129
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
#6 - More shutter speed choices.

If Sony's position is to force me to send in the camera for easy firmware fixes like this, my response will be to see what the next generation from Canon brings, and postpone consideration of all Sony accessories like high capacity storage drives and media until that time.

Edit:

And actually, there already are far more choices of shutter speed within the existing firmware, by choosing the "ECS" shutter mode. You can choose any shutter speed you want in 1 unit increments (or less) from the range of 1/60.02 to 1/2018.

Hey Tom, thanks a lot for this tip! I was wondering how I'd get a proper PAL 1/50 shutter speed and this may be the answer. ECS doesn't do anything except affect shutter speed, correct? It doesn't mess with the signal any other way...I am hoping... Because this will also allow for proper doubled frame rates for slow motion effects as well.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #130
Tourist

Is this upgrade also solve the battery problem?
Rick Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #131
Trustee

No, you have to send it in and have a board replaced or two.
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #132
Major Player

My recent experience with Sony service:

Just got the 1.1.x upgrade. Hand carried it to Sony in San Jose. Strange experience, the Sony service center is housed in their regional warehouse, and you really can't get to a counter or anything and there are no signs or any indication it's Sony building. You have to knock on an unmarked loading dock door, and somebody lets you in, then you wait while somebody from the service part of the building comes to get your camera. Nice enough people who attended to me, but just seemed, well, kind of unprofessional at least for a walk in. In the huge warehouse by the loading doors were stacks and stacks of EX3s (among other things), waiting to be shipped out.

I asked for warranty repairs on the backfocus, the battery drain, and the newest firmware upgrade. I got the person who took my camera and made me fill out paperwork to sign their name that the camera was in perfect condition and just the items mentioned needed to be upgraded (the horror story of somebody else who had their EX1 dropped or something scared me).

There was a kind of unprofessional form I filled out with the serial number, what I needed done, etc. No carbon copied service forms, like you might get at an auto repair place, or anything. They made me a copy of the form.

A couple days later they called me to tell me the 1.1 firmware was going to cost $100. I asked if that was set in stone or if I had other issues if they'd just upgrade it for free. The service manager called me back and said they had received a memo from Sony corporate they needed to charge and they couldn't change that policy, so I agreed to pay for it, so I had to fill out a fax with my credit card number and fax it to them.

I picked it up a couple days later. It took from Monday until Friday to make these repairs. Other than the battery drain issue, which seems to be repaired, the focus and the firmware update isn't really noticeable to me. I haven't shot with it much other than to test that the backfocus was ok, not really better or worse than when I brought it in.

So I guess I'm really glad they didn't destroy my camera, but all in all... not the most professional warranty service experience I've had, especially for a camera that costs as much as a car (ok, a really cheap used car...). But I got the camera back in one piece and the darn battery issue seems to be fixed. I don't have to remember to pop the battery off the camera after each use.

I'm getting the Expresscard adapter thingy, might be fun to try that storage option out.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #133

I sent my EX1 in to service center in LA, two weeks ago. My emails to LA Service result in a reply by the next day, however, the info provided is simply "the engineer has your camera and is working on it". When I've asked when they expect to have it returned, I'm told "stop asking us, we'll let you know when it's ready".

All in all, I'm not happy with Sony Corp.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #134
Trustee

Bill,
What did you send your camera in for?
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #135

Steve...
1-battery drain issue
2-labels wearing off of the switches
3-firmware update to 1.11

Just got an email saying my EX1 was ready and is being returned today, 9-15-08

Last edited by Bill Ravens; September 15th, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds