Mac Mini for playing back EX1 material on Full HD LCD TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mac Mini for playing back EX1 material on Full HD LCD TV

I need to have a 10 min institutional film shot on EX1 playing back continually on a full HD LCD TV (HDMI) at a conference.

Right now I'm considering getting a Sony Playstation 3 or BluRay player and getting Adobe Encore + BluRay burner to author a BluRay DVD (We're set up with FCP).

Alternatively has anybody tried playing back HD material from a Mac Mini (DVI to HDMI cable)

Thanks
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't ever used a Mac Mini, but in theory that's an easier solution. I've gone the Blu-ray route on a Mac, and it's a pain. A relatively recent Macbook or MBpro would also work using the TV as a second monitor. That would save you having to lug keyboard and mouse.

Also, if 720/24p would work, you could use an Apple TV. My stuff shown on a 1080p set looks great that way.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #3
New Boot

We've done some testing with our cheap on-location storage laptop, equipped with some Intel graphics chipset and 1.5 Ghz Core2duo processor, running WIndows XP, with much success.

We've exported a high bitrate MPEG2 file using some pretty standard Compressor settings, and used VLC player.

It was 1080i25 MPEG with 20 Mbps bit rate (or something about that), VLC player set to deintarlace. We haven't observed any stuttering or hick ups.

Laptop unfortunately was not equipped with DVI, only VGA.

Same goes for Macbook.

So I would assume you should be able to play such MPEG on Mac Mini.

P.S. Vista laptop and windows media player - there were some problems there, especially in the beginning of the video.
Adam Plywaczewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #4
New Boot

You could certainly use your Macbook Pro playing out an I frame codec like DVCPro HD to an HD monitor via DVI. I do it all the time with a G4 Powerbook. Most probably you can play the native XDCAM files on your MBP.
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm primarily looking for some form of HD via HDMI playout system that would not involve leaving my laptop running at the convention centre all day.

So far I think that the Apple TV suggested by Rob is my best option even if it means reducing my resolution to 720p (no Encore, no blu-ray burner, no PS3).
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima View Post
I need to have a 10 min institutional film shot on EX1 playing back continually on a full HD LCD TV (HDMI) at a conference.

Right now I'm considering getting a Sony Playstation 3 or BluRay player and getting Adobe Encore + BluRay burner to author a BluRay DVD (We're set up with FCP).

Alternatively has anybody tried playing back HD material from a Mac Mini (DVI to HDMI cable)

Thanks
Maybe easier to use a media streamer like the TviX. It is cheaper and easier to use than a Mac Mini. It plays H.264.

/Sverker
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

yes... the appletv is a fantastic tool.... you can wirelessly grab any appletv encoded vid in the itunes library from your mac... no burning.... no cables ( from mac to atv ) heck... the screensaver mode with your stills is a great feature as well. I've lent mine to clients for tradeshow loops to projectors and big lcd/plasmas and it worked without a hitch!

For $250 it's a bargain!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #8
Major Player

I haven't tried, but I'm not sure there's a way to loop a video on Apple TV if you need that for the conference. Of course, you could create a QT with the video looped a bunch of times. You can loop in QT player if you want to reconsider the Mac Mini idea.

One other option: if you can get your hands on a HD-DVD player (format Blu-ray beat), then you could make a looping HD-DVD on a regular DVD-R using DVDSP. Creating Hi-Def DVDs Using 4.7GB Type 5 DVDs
Rob Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds