Composite Out Resolution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Composite Out Resolution

What would be the minimum resolution monitor I could use for the
Composite feed from an EX3 for a decent picture?
I just need to show the producer the framings for different shots
nothing fancy!
Mark Twittey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Any composite monitor will work, res doesn't matter as long as it's composite. But the composite out really doesn't look very good. But if it was me, the producer should be looking an HD monitor and you should be using the bad monitor for framing and go to the good monitor when you need a critical look. Otherwise the producer will be distracted by the bad picture. Unless he's the type how wouldn't know the difference between a bad picture and a whole in a wall. Then sure use the better monitor for yourself.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #3
New Boot

I looked at a large number of consumer monitors recently and found that the Samsung LN22A450 ($450+/-) was the best consumer monitor with both HDMI and component inputs. It's not a pro monitor by any stretch, but if you can't spend the $2500+ for a Panny or similar pro monitor, the 22" Samsung looks pretty good. It also works well as a computer monitor with the HDMI input, so does double duty. Many of the monitors I looked at did one or the other, but this one was the only one that did both reasonably well.
John Fante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I actually had a client from out of town bring one of those with him on an ex shoot, (I had my Panasonic in the car but didn't want to pay for it) but he whip this thing out from a computer bag and it wasn't half bad. As long as your looking straight on, its OK but only straight on and not outside.-unless covered very well. Resolution is not too bad either.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys
Mark Twittey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds