Alternatives to using a laptop in the field? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Alternatives to using a laptop in the field?

Sorry if there’s a better place to post on this site, but are there any options to a laptop computer if I want to offload my SxS cards to a device in the field?
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Trustee

I doubt that there's many EX1/3 users that offload in the field any more, most of use are using the cheap sdhc cards, at £25 for a 16gb card it's easier to buy a handfull of them and offload at home without the pressure of offloading in the field, and without the need to lug a laptop around.

Paul.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
New Boot

I've used one of these for years for DSLR backup.
HyperDrive - The World's Fastest Memory Card Backup Device
Woops, I see you said SXS cards.... Sorry.
George Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Major Player

This device is attractive. Records 4:2:2 via HD-SDI. http://www.convergent-design.com/CD_...s_FlashXDR.htm
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
This device is attractive. Records 4:2:2 via HD-SDI. Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV

The device is attractive but the price isn't :-(
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
.......... using the cheap sdhc cards, at £25 for a 16gb card it's easier to buy a handfull of them and offload at home without the pressure of offloading in the field, and without the need to lug a laptop around.
You said it. And without the risk of the laptop getting stolen, or the risk of finding you omitted to transfer some clips before formatting the card. The material can even stay on the cards as backup until you're well into the edit.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Trustee

Here's an alternative to a laptop: NextoDI

Also, some of the $300 netbooks are now coming with Express Card slots: Netbooks get serious: three ExpressCard-packing portables for the road warrior

Even better yet, with a hack, you can install the latest Mac OS on them:
http://cultofmac.com/get-a-slick-mac...of-course/2703
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Although the NextoDI says it will back up an SxS card "without an interrupt of filming", the instructions are that data from the cards must be downloaded via the USB cable. Using media mode does interrupt filming. Different with SDHC cards.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post

Even better yet, with a hack, you can install the latest Mac OS on them:
Get a Slick Mac NetBook For Less Than $600 (Not Strictly Legal, Of Course) | Cult of Mac
According to the article though, audio is disabled.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Major Player

I attended a Sony EX awareness presentation a couple of weeks ago. Amongst the topics discussed was the downloading of cards. There was a strong hint from the Sony EX product manager that a download device maybe on the way.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #11
Major Player

At DV Expo last Dec, Sony had a hard-drive based device for SxS download sitting under glass. Price being thrown around was about $2K. I have not heard a thing about it since. I would shoot to SDHC cards and consider a NextoDI to offload the cards. I've reviewed it and have been using one for a few months. Very solid device.

Or, the SDHC cards themselves are so inexpensive that for the price of the Nexto you could buy a ton of SDHC cards, label them and just offload the cards to the computer at some later point.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds