Ewa Marine VEX1 Underwater Housing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Ewa Marine VEX1 Underwater Housing

Hi folks

Anyone have or use the Ewa Marine VEX1?

ewa-marine*:*VEX1*

For occasional use underwater it looks very cost effective, so long as the quality is reasonable and it doesn't leak and wreck the camera. Any feedback from anyone who has used one?

Cheers, Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've used it on the surface and just under. No problems. It was great. I sold my EX1 however for an EX3 and still have the housing. Interested in buying used? Email me.
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Major Player

I have one but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It seems like a lot of money for what it is in terms of material, but for what it does to protect your camera I guess it's the least expensive ready-made alternative. It seems like it'll do the job and I'm looking forward to getting mine out there in use. I got it for kayaking and some just-under-the-surface shots for backpacking while crossing rivers, etc. I'm also excited to trying it on my jib at the beach and having water crashing over my camera. You can't mount it with screws, so I'll have to get creative with bungie cords for jib and kayak.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Major Player

where can you buy one and how much are they? the site didn't seem to have that info.

ETA: looks like B&H carries them for just under $900, but you also get a $50 B&H gift card with your purchase. Nice!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...using_for.html

Expensive, but they look cool. Any word on whether you can use the LCD with these or just the viewfinder?
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Used VEX1

Hi Trevor - I'm going to post mine in the classifieds here for $650 + shipping. I put my camera in it 3 times and used it in the water twice. I've sold my EX1 for an EX3, so it doesn't fit. It's EVF only - no LCD.

Cheers,
Zac
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Trustee

We've got a number of EWA Marine housings and they'e great as splash housings or for the very shallow dunk under the water where the seals don't go under. I'd worry a bit about the EXs overheating though even if just left on for a period of time in such a housing.

On the other hand we've also got an Amphibico housing for a HC7/9. That gives you full camera control and rear LCD viewfinder. Not suggesting that a HC9 is going to keep a serious bubble shooter happy however for the odd underwater shot it intercuts quite well with the above water shots from the EX and one does sleep better at night not worrying about an expensive camera getting waterlogged. We can confirm that any water in a camera means a new camera :(
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
Any word on whether you can use the LCD with these or just the viewfinder?
Yes, my EWA housing has a place for the LCD screen to be flipped out in the viewing position. As for overheating in the housing, I would definitely turn on the camera for the shots you need and turn it off in between. I would guess the surrounding cool water would help dissipate the heat as well. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to get some experience with it and provide some feedback.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Does anyone know of a place that rents these?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds