DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX-1/EX-3 raw footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/465667-ex-1-ex-3-raw-footage.html)

Alex Sava October 13th, 2009 03:09 PM

EX-1/EX-3 raw footage?

Can anyone please upload some raw footage shot with an EX-1 or EX-3? Doesn't matter what it is, just full HD cause I'm just planning on buying an EX-3 (unless my budget won't allow me, then I'll settle for the EX-1) and am wondering if my PC can handle raw 1080p XDCAM stuff...

I tried searching for a similar thread but I didn't find anything... If I missed something, apologies in advance.

Jon Sands October 13th, 2009 03:26 PM

what nle are you using? putting together a zip now

Jon Sands October 13th, 2009 04:24 PM

here ya go, 1080p mxf's, should work in any nle

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/Airport%20Footage.zip

Craig Seeman October 13th, 2009 04:28 PM

There's this from Doug Jensen who hangs around these parts now and then.
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Brian Barkley October 13th, 2009 05:20 PM

If you're wanting to see a variety of shots, this is a short excerpt of a 2 hour documentary that I am currently working on. It will show you the poorest of locations . . . empty hotel banquet rooms with just a plain white wall behind the talent. This is an example of the very worst of locations . . . The EX-3 certainly helped make the locations tolerable to the eye.

Tom Daigon October 13th, 2009 08:49 PM

Here are some more examples of fine footage created by Brian ;-)
www.NewLibertyVideos.com

Jon Sands October 13th, 2009 10:07 PM

did anyone bother reading his full post? he wanted the raw xdcam ex files, to test if his system can handle editing it

Barry J. Anwender October 13th, 2009 11:17 PM

or is it possible the request is for RAW HD-SDI footage off the EX? If this is the case, then and ftp server would be required to make a full HD sample clip available for download. An full HD-SDI frame grab into Photoshop comes out to a 16.7MB file size. Please clarify what your expecting by using the term RAW. Cheers!

Adam Stanislav October 13th, 2009 11:27 PM

Jon,

I ordered an EX3 yesterday, so I downloaded your samples, too, to see what to expect. I noticed in two of them that they change their brightness about two seconds after they start.

Is this the standard behavior of the EX3?

Jon Sands October 13th, 2009 11:30 PM

not at all, that was me adjusting the iris for correct exposure during recording

Jon Sands October 13th, 2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender (Post 1431957)
or is it possible the request is for RAW HD-SDI footage off the EX? If this is the case, then and ftp server would be required to make a full HD sample clip available for download. An full HD-SDI frame grab into Photoshop comes out to a 16.7MB file size. Please clarify what your expecting by using the term RAW. Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sava (Post 1431732)
1080p XDCAM

clearly xdcam

Alister Chapman October 14th, 2009 12:32 AM

There are a number of XDCAM EX MP4's available for download from the UK Sony site:

Sony : Download XDCAM EX Sample Footage : United Kingdom

Alex Sava October 14th, 2009 03:42 AM

Thanks for the answers guys, but as Jon pointed out, I needed this footage to test my PC, I know what the EX-1/EX-3 can do image wise, hence why I'm planning on buying one, I was just curious as to how my computer would "react" to the raw footage it produces.

Thanks Jon, I've downloaded your files and played around in Premiere. Seems to work fine, which is a relief. I use both Premiere and After Effects CS4 so as long as I can work with it without any hassle on those two programs, I'm a happy guy.

As for my definition of "raw footage," I don't know, I guess whatever comes off the camera at full resolution? I am not much of a DoP so my technical terms are very limited, as I'm more focused on writing and directing and letting my small team handle all the camera work, unfortunately I have to be the one investing in equipment and then doing the post-production work, so that is why I have to do all the research involved, but once the letters and digits start to appear in debates, I am, for lack of a better term, severely limited.

Adam Stanislav October 14th, 2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Sands (Post 1431965)
not at all, that was me adjusting the iris for correct exposure during recording

Thank you, Jon!

Alex Sava October 14th, 2009 07:36 AM

By the way, I can probably make a FTP account on my server if some of you have more footage to offer, like Barry was suggesting. And maybe more people can benefit from it and not just me...