Sony's shoulder brace launched at SATIS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 28th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Trustee

Sony's shoulder brace launched at SATIS

Just watching Rick Young's roundup of SATIS news about the EX1R. It's about 06:32 into the video.

Okay, so it's a bit fiddly with lots of things to pull out and push in, but wondering how this works out when pitched against other offerings, especially the 'El Cheapo' and its variants, and those exquisitely milled aluminium artworks.

What I especially note is that the Sony offering clamps into a standard Sony plate, with a reassuring 'clunk' according to the video.

I am forever switching between tripod and handheld, and have experienced 'tripod plate wobblies' and that awful knowledge that the connection between camera and tripod head is on a par with your average bean-bag and chewing gum combo.

So, today's meditation is: Brace or Tiger Claw?
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Major Player

The video doesn't say much for Miller tripods. Those cameras were wobbling all over the place.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Wrangler

That does look kind of interesting. Not so crazy about the way it looks on the tripod though.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
other offerings, especially the 'El Cheapo' and its variants, and those exquisitely milled aluminium artworks.
I'm sorry, this is the second time today I see someone referring to "El Cheapo". Is that a brand name or is it some insider joke that new forum members are not supposed to understand?

Can you let me in on this secret? Especially since my new EX3 is scheduled to finally arrive in two days and I will need to decide what kind of shoulder brace to buy for it (for the record, I am 193 cm (6'4") tall and walk with a cane, so this may not be an easy thing to figure out for me).
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Adam,

I believe "El Cheapo" is a Phil Bloomism. You should be able to find his review for this shoulder brace on his website. I don't know who makes it or what it's called. CVP once stocked it but I think Phil bought his from e-bay under a different monica - I may be wrong.

"El Cheapo" seems to have stuck.
Paul Kousoulides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Looks to be essentially the support system of the El Cheapo with the added advantage that it collapses flat. Anyone know the price? Or have a link?
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kousoulides View Post
I believe "El Cheapo" is a Phil Bloomism.
So, that's where I saw it earlier today... On his web site. Unfortunately, his advice to go with the El Cheapo is completely worthless when he does not mention what he means by that. :( Oh well...
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #8
Trustee

The term 'El Cheapo' is, in UK English of a certain dialect, a way of hinting that the product or service is absolutely the lowest cost whilst remaining actually able to deliver the promised service or product. In terms of the aforementioned camera support, it looks a bit amateur and cheaply produced, but functions a lot better than appearances would expect so has a nod of respect from the pros. English can be infuriating like that.

I believe the original El Cheapo was from an Indian supplier called CineCity - with a huge eBay presence. Since then, again in my perception, a UK distributor has been engaged which increases the purchase cost a little but gives the impression of a little more security.

But the idea of having such a unit collapse down and fit on top of a tripod (in other words, the one you already own and trust) using the standard Sony mount is appealing.

I only hope it can be retrofitted to the EX1 I already own. Spent a few days somewhere hot and sunny and the wedge plate betwixed EX1 and head was reduced to the level of chewing gum. Even the producer commented on my bravery on trusting the head to hold by beloved camera safe. He had a point.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #9
Trustee

Sony shoulder brace

Wouldn't mind having a look at the Sony shoulder brace they demonstrated here.
I need something for my EX3.

MacVideo - Camera Technology - Features - World Debut: Sony PMW-EX1R; PMW-350; SxS-1 cards; MEAD-MS01 Memory Stick adapter
Anthony McErlean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
I only hope it can be retrofitted to the EX1 I already own
In the linked video, the guy says the shoulder brace can be used with any camera, and mentions the HVR-Z series.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Wouldn't mind having a look at the Sony shoulder brace they demonstrated here.
I need something for my EX3.

MacVideo - Camera Technology - Features - World Debut: Sony PMW-EX1R; PMW-350; SxS-1 cards; MEAD-MS01 Memory Stick adapter
Just wondering about this Sony shoulder brace, did anyone try to find out more about it.
I didn't have any luck yet.
Anthony McErlean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Major Player

I've bought the El-Cheapo for my EX1. I've already got 4 DV-Tec supports, but the damn EX1 won't work properly on any of them.

Anyway the El-Cheapo works fine, I put a Manfrotto quick release on it, but had to drill the slide hole a little larger at one end to get the large sized Manfrotto bolt in. I took out the two sliding trapped nuts which where already fitted. When I tightened the Manfrotto bolts down onto the plate the mounting plate on the El-Cheapo cracked.

I put the supplied sliding nuts back in to help keep the Manfrotto QR plate from crushing it any further.

If you get this setup it's something to watch out for, and think about first.

But I still recommend it. The included strap is added security to wrap around your back and onto the body mount itself.
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #13
Major Player

The Sony shoulder brace/tripod plate will apparently retail for around £500.
Here is the El Cheapo.http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/home...r-support.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds