My Problem With My XDCAM - Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 18th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Major Player

My Problem With My XDCAM - Help!

When I first got my EX3 things were fine. It was happy just to be held and have it's buttons pushed.

Then it started asking for sensible things, like another battery, some more memory cards, a reinforcing base plate, and an IR filter. But as time went by it asked for more things like a new fluid head with tripod, a zoom controller, and better audio. After giving it all the things it asked for, it wants more expensive things like a Nanoflash. Now it's saying it would be nice to have a big brother with 2/3 inch chips!

I tried wrapping the camera in tin foil to block it from messing with my mind but that doesn't seem to be working.

I have noticed one thing, it doesn't seem to be able to effect my wife. She does not seem to want to buy anything for it and actually, she doesn't even feel the need to hold it.

Do you think a Sony technician could make some adjustments to reduce the camera's psychic output power level?

I have to go, the UPS man is at the front door with a delivery...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Give the EX-3 to your wife and take up cooking, at least you can re-use the tin foil...
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I feel your pain; I am just starting to outfit my EX1R and hoping not to make too many expensive mistakes.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Major Player

There must be a government bailout program for this problem. There seems to be one for everything else.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Kevin - I am in the same situation but have an EX-1 - seems like this mind control system works for the whole EX line - maybe a new firmware upgrade could control problem :)
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm not getting this at all. You've made the decision not to got to work for someone else, but rather to be in business for yourself. All small businesses that I know of require capital investment of tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment. Not only that, but they are no guarantees that you business will be a success.

In 2009, I've not only purchased my EX-3, but expensive lighting gear including a cuculoris kit, audio gear including a Schoeps boom mic (CS4) which is one of the most expensive mics on the market, several thousand dollars in memory cards . . . and new Adobe Premiere CS4 HD non-linear editing . . . I've spent upwards of $50,000.00 in 2009 alone, but I am not compaining. This equipment is 1st class in its price category and I love what it does for me. A cameraman friend of mine in Los Angeles has almost $150,000.00 in his camera package alone.

We are spending mere peanuts compared to many video professionals. I do not understand the wining about the small cost of the additional equipment that goes along with having a good package. Why are you in this business?
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
Do you think a Sony technician could make some adjustments to reduce the camera's psychic output power level?
I think you'll find that this is simply a byproduct of generating an awesomeness field that's actually designed to influence clients positively.
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I don't think Kevin is complaining. I think he's making a satorial comment on what many of us go thru when we get a new camera. Other new things are needed or at least wanted or is it desired, whatever the case I personally saw some nice humor in his post, no complaining.
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Don- that is exactly how I took it and why I chimed in - it is just what happens - and those of us who are not pro's and are just obsessed hobbyists (like myself), well........ This is all in fun and not meant to be a serious thread.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Sponsor: Westside AV

I think the definition of a Pro is someone who works really hard to support his camera/lighting/audio/studio/editing suite.

I know I do. As soon as I think I am getting ahead something happens or a job comes along that requires another investment, just to stay competitive. That is how I explain it to my CEO/wife anyhow.

Olof
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Kevin, get rid of the wife. She jeopardizing your relationship with your camera. No marriage is worth that. That's the sacrifice most of us have made here.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #12
Trustee

I just got my EX3 a couple of months ago and have done 3 significant shoots with it. Each time I've identified another add on that I "must" figure out how to acquire. Now, after seeing what a beautiful picture the stock 35Mbps codec can deliver, I've somehow convinced myself that I "need" to have the ability to go one step higher and get a NanoFlash :).

Olof, if you've got tips on how to pitch to the boss (wife) I'd sure like to hear them. I think I'm just about at the end of my rope with her. The next request is probably going to land me sleeping in the shed in the backyard. I think I need to enter the gearhead addiction 12 step program.

:)

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Too bad there is no way to purchase a really expensive sense of humor:]
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #14
Major Player

rule of thumb, buy camera, have 50% more money avilable for "accessories" for the same.
aka 150% listed price.
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Tell me about it. I won a 2nd EX1, and that was quite the blessing. But then it talked to my first EX1 and is now demanding all the gear I purchased for it as well! They gang up on me and brow beat me about ARRI lights, and tripods, and media. God the media! And they say "Oooh Chad, how can you tell what you're editing without a professional calibrated HD monitor?" or "We want wide angle adapters - Pleeeeeeeze!"

Cameras...... They are so cute though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds