Cannot proceed when trying to change WB or Gain switches. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cannot proceed when trying to change WB or Gain switches.

Why i have this warning?
I am trying to change the gain from the switches, or the switch at the wb and i have the warning "cannot proceed" and of course nothing happened.

Thanks
Giannis Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi - had the same problem here - reset to factory settings helped...
Only had this problem once and that was after installing newest firmware on my EX3.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Vortex Media

This issue pops up at least once a month here.

The problem is that you have changed the DIRECT MENU setting to "ALL". Return the setting to "PART" and everything will be back to normal. The DIRECT MENU menu is in the OTHERS section.

I wish Sony would just remove this menu entirely from the camera because there's no reason anyone should ever want to change it and it just causes problems.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks for the help.
And something else.
How i can have auto white?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Auto-white is called ATW and you shouldn't use it.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok ATW, but where is it?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Major Player

like said you get one (direct menu) or the other (switches) but cant have both.

here we are going with using the direct menu itself (on ALL) and ignoring the switches.
I figure if we can control the Spotlight/Backlight, AE, the Shutter, the WB, and gain in one location it should be easier for the camera person to get used to using the Direct menu only, as opposed to having to know both the switches and the direct menu, to do all functions.
then they can see all the changes without taking thier eyes off the video.

anybody see any future problem with that?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis Pass View Post
Ok ATW, but where is it?
the ATW is "shared" item with Preset B, go into the Menu , get in the CAMERA sub-menu, and find WHITE SWITCH item, in there you can change preset B to either preset B (MEM) or ATW.

ATW- Auto Trace White
AWB - Auto White Balance
MEM- Meaning memory storage location for a manuel set white balance
Preset A&B - usually used for 2 Manually set white balances that you set for the job your on at the time, and switch between them as needed.

never trust the ATW , unless you know what it is setting to everytime, and what it is setting to is Actualy "white". :-)

the picture "PROFILES" also hold a single preset item, so i was thinking (oh oh) you have 3 available presets quick. the profiles preset, A preset and B preset.

Then if you clone a perfect profile, then set the profile for (say) a perfect outdoor picture and all its issues and problems, and a few different indoor profiles. IF you dont mess up the profile itself (clones slightly adjusted) , you could also switch Named profiles instantally in the Direct menu, and have every color under the sun ready to go at a wave of your hand.

like?? Sun, Sundown , IN-Flor, In-INCAN, In-Sodium, In-Mercury , or some such thing.
then Select the PRESET that your going to USE , because if it isnt selected you wont see your changes, and roll in a temp and color adjust for that location. adjusting the Profile for that specific lighting type. next time you go back there, its set.

Last edited by Marty Welk; March 22nd, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Doug,
Thanks,
That one has got me a few times. And yes it was when I changed the All/part setting.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds