Ex1r reliable Auto focus or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex1r reliable Auto focus or not?

Hello, i am a wedding videographer using ex1r.
i need your opinion.
What are you most use?
Manual or auto focus?
is auto focus reliable on ex1r?
Thanks
Giannis Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Trustee

I would never trust auto-focus for something I was being paid for.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Spot on, auto focus can realy drop you in the s**t. EX cams are most unforgiving. Manual everything to get it right
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Major Player

The EX1 is not known for its autofocus ability so I would not expect much from the EX1r. I have used an EX1 for over 2 years and never even looked at the auto focus, auto iris or auto anything and the pictures I get are spectacular.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Major Player

I have owned an EX1 which I have replaced with an EX1R.

It is my unscientific, subjective opinion that the EX1R auto focus and push to focus button are much faster and more accurate than the EX1 I had.

I am not a fan of switching to auto focus and just pointing the camera at things while the servos whir, but on my EX1R these are usable tools in moments you might want or need them.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Don't use Af on my EX1. Manual focus and peaking is the answer.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

While I don't use the Autofocus often, I have used it for limited things. But I wouldn't use it for a paid gig. On the other hand, I've been VERY impressed with the auto-iris and find myself using it a lot more than I thought I might.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis Pass View Post
is auto focus reliable on ex1r?
I have to say, with my editor hat on, working with a wide range of footage, that I can spot Autofocus from the rushes. In general, there's usually something that's tack-sharp and accurately tracked - trouble is, it tends to be the background rather than the subject.

With my operator hat on, I drive in Full Manual exclusively. It was one of the prime reasons I went for the EX1. Especially with the bigger sensor and shallower DoF.

All forms of Autofocus seem to hunt, and whilst the 'push-auto' is a lifesaver on difficult to focus cameras like the Z1, it is no good on the EX as it tends to pull things out then nudge them back in.

Try to get good using aids like peaking (in red) and expanded focus, in Full Manual mode before you get involved with Auto Focus. And you specifically want to avoid it at all costs when using certain types of Wide Angle adaptor. HTH.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Major Player

and One push auto is ONCE too, from what i can tell.
my old SD cams when you HELD the One Touch they would stay in auto until releace.
my testing here shows that when you push the one touch on the Ex1r it focuses ONE time then stops cold. you have to push it again to get it to start again, making ONE SHOT neer useless, for things like walk twards , and walk aways , and live zoom focus and all.

and it does "rack" or "Rock" a bit to see if that is the closest focus it can get , its like a little camera person instead of a computer is doing the focus :-)
and i thought it was SLOW way slower than the old SD stuff.

reliable? sure it will screw up a live production every time, cant get more reliable than that :-)
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The Other Side of The Story

As a pro for the past 30 years, I would never ever use auto focus...UNTIL I got the EX1.
I've had a few great shots ruined because the subject and/or camera was moving and the focus (me) didn't catch up. HD is very unforgiving and the slightest soft focus is glaring. Now I find myself switching to auto-focus if my subject is moving quickly or the camera is moving around in a hand held shot. Fortunately, I've found the EX1 Auto-Focus does a superb job in keep the subject sharp without perceptible hunting. It's a much better alternative than getting back in the edit suite and finding my really cool shot is unuseable because the focus is a bit soft.
Frank Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

More on the other side

I'm always a little amazed when the response to the question "how well does it work?" is "You shouldn't use it." The button is on the camera. It should work whether I use it or not. My take is autofocus does not work all that well, at least on the EX1. I had the occasion to videotape a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge last summer. Bright sun so the screen was not a good option. On foot alone staying constantly ahead of the participants. Interview, run like a bandit. Interview, run like a bandit. All interview shot very close to the camera so the shallow depth of field is really working against me. Rear eyepiece is next to worthless for critical focus. So the auto focus better work.....OK but not as good as I needed.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Major Player

The autofocus on the EX1 isn't as good as that of the Z1 for sure. Personally I only use it when forced to in awkward positions where reaching for the focus ring might literally mean falling off a ladder or dropping the camera etc!

It's a handy function but day to day I don't touch it.
Old April 6th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just received my Ex1r last week so I haven't tested auto-focus it in a real world situation yet, but so far it seems to work well when pulled medium or wide. It tends to seek more when zoomed in tight or under low light conditions.

I'm shooting a wedding on the 17th so I'll be able to give a full report then. I've been shooting weddings for over 10 years and I can say that auto-focus does come in handy during certain run-and-gun situations when focal length or subjects are changing rapidly.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds