EX1R firmware upgrade from 1.0 to 1.10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1R firmware upgrade from 1.0 to 1.10

I just received a new Ex1R yesterday and it shipped with firmware 1.0. So after some research I decided to upgrade to ver. 1.10

The upgrade went fine... I downloaded the file, copied it to an SXS card and performed the upgrade in-camera.

However, I just noticed a disclaimer by Sony saying users should not upgrade to 1.10 unless they have 1.04 or later!! I wish I had seen this before the upgrade.

Am I screwed now? So far the camera seems to be operating just fine. Should I contact a Sony service center?
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wallace View Post
I just noticed a disclaimer by Sony saying users should not upgrade to 1.10 unless they have 1.04 or later!! I wish I had seen this before the upgrade.

Am I screwed now? So far the camera seems to be operating just fine. Should I contact a Sony service center?
You are fine. The disclaimer refers to the EX1. There is only ver. 1.0 and 1.10 for the EX1R.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks George... I must have mis-read the disclaimer. Now excuse me while I let out an enormous WHEW!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:37 AM   #4
Trustee

So the EX1R has it's own firmware? I only ask since you said yours shipped with V1.0 and the EX1 is already at V1.20. I thought it would be just the same firmware as the EX1 since they are basically the same camera.
Didn't know it had it's own firmware.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

is complicated to install new software to EX1R? Now I bought myself and want to install it EX1R oftul 1.10
Have you seen an improvement over the old version?
Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
So the EX1R has it's own firmware? I only ask since you said yours shipped with V1.0 and the EX1 is already at V1.20. I thought it would be just the same firmware as the EX1 since they are basically the same camera.
Yes apparently it does., which makes things very confusing. I was really surprised to see the Ex1R ship with version 1.0. The most currently version is 1.10
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
is complicated to install new software to EX1R? Now I bought myself and want to install it EX1R oftul 1.10
Have you seen an improvement over the old version?
Thanks
The easiest way to do it, is download the firmware update from Sony's site, copy it to an SXS card, and run the update in-camera as opposed to hooking up the camera to a computer.

It worked flawlessly for me.

The major improvement in version 1.10 is that SDHC card adapters are supposed to be more reliable.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
The cameras are less the same than you would imagine. Just the physical differences in the cameras would require different firmware. The menus are not identical and the EX1R has some buttons that are different.

EX1 PP .suf files won't load on an EX1R.

Many of the EX1R default settings are quite a bit different from the default on the EX1, even though they show the same number (usually 0) in the numeric reading in menus.

An example - my Real Color PP matrix setting for the EX1R doesn't share any numbers with my Real Color setting for the EX1, though both cameras have a default setting of 0 for all matrix numbers. The setup process used the same chart, lighting and scopes.

Another example - I used about -30 detail on the EX1 to reduce the enhancement outlines to my taste. On the EX1R, -5 has about the same effect.

Sony engineers tweaked more than they told us about in the EX1R press releases, mostly in good ways.
George Strother is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds