Looking for advice on a BackPack for EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for advice on a BackPack for EX1

Hi

I am looking for best packpack I can buy to carry on planes as hand luggage(accompanied luggage). with pockets and padding for safety. Thanks
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Vortex Media

I've had the forerunner to this Cinebags backpack since I got my EX1 almost three years ago.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683337-REG/CineBags_CB_23_CB_23_HD_Backpack.html
The fit is a little tight, but it was worked very well and I'd definately buy it again. In fact, I was hiking in Yosemite National Park last week with my EX1 and hardly noticed the camera was on my back. I'm still amazed that the EX1 with all the accessories weighs several pounds less than my other backpack that is loaded with a Nikon SLR and lenses. That thing is heavy!
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I just bought this back pack for my sony NX5 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683336-REG/CineBags_CB_25A_CB_25A_Revolution_Backpack.html I used it for a three day shoot,and it worked great. I think it will fit your EX1. Lots of pockets for equipment. I love it.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Dan, I like the color of yours better than the one I have. I guess if I was going to buy one right now, the CB25-A would be the one.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Kata

I've owned CIneBags products in the past, and will never own them again. The construction was shoddy, the materials they use are nowhere near what I consider "professional" and their customer service is nonexistent.

Look at Kata's camcorder backpacks. I don't think I've ever met a shooter who wasn't happy with their Kata gear. It's all I use for my video gear, and Think Tank for my photo/DSLR stuff.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Vortex Media

Although I have never used Kata backpacks, I do own other Kata products and I'd rank the quality of my CineBags backpack and other CineBags products I own (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325428-REG/CineBags_CB_01_CB_01_Production_Bag_Black.html) way above any of the Kata products I use. I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of the CineBags products and I have put a lot of miles on them. The Kata stuff is okay, but In my opinion it has a "prosumer" feel to it, and is not as durable as CineBags or Porta-Brace.
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #7
New Boot

My Kata backpack is a TANK!
I would not run it over with a car mind you but it is truly rugged.
Sadly they don't make one big enough for my EX3.
Greg Charest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The Kata BP-502 is recommended for the EX3 according to their web site.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
I think it will fit your EX1. Lots of pockets for equipment. I love it.
Do you have by any chance a picture of the backpack with your equipment in it. On CineBags Website there is no gallery anymore and the Facebook site is a joke.
I am looking for a backpack which I can use for EX1 + 2 BP-U60 Batteries + Sennheiser MKH416 + Wireless Receiver&Transmitter + MacBook Pro 17.
And all that of course has to fit as handluggage on the plane....
CineBags 25 seems to be ideal but I would love to see how it looks inside.
Thanks a lot,
Jürgen
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #10
New Boot

I use the Kata HB-207 for my EX1, and I've taken it on many flights. I always worry that I'll run into a situation where they won't let me on the plane with it, but (so far) it has always worked out.

It goes through security fine and barely fits into overhead bins.

It will carry all the gear you're talking about.

Here's the link:

Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

It's robust. It's not a Pelican case, but it's very robust.
Israel Hyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Juergen,

I don't have the EX1 but have the NX5. It said it fits the EX1 on B&H web site. Here is some pictures with NX5, wireless and receiver extra shotgun mic, swit light and battery headphones . The top view of over sized
pouch with a HV30 with wide angle lens. Hope this helps.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice on a BackPack for EX1-dsc_0177.jpg   Looking for advice on a BackPack for EX1-dsc_0178.jpg  

Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:46 AM   #12
Regular Crew

this is the backpack I use and it seems to work well.

Petrol | PCBP-1 Papoose Mini DV Hiker Professional | PCBP-1
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:51 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

thanks a lot for the two photos - that is great. I know that you have the NX5 - but in size it is similar to the EX1R I would guess. It is tightly packed on your photos, but it seems, there is another small compartment where you have stocked your little camcorder.

I had a look at the Petrol bag Eugene recommended, but it is not specific about the size of the Laptop which fits in. I have the '17 MacBook Pro and the CineBags CB-25A says, it will fit that size.

So I guess, I will go with the CB-25A if there is nothing else. KATA seems to be to big for airlines as hand luggage.

Thanks a lot,
Jürgen
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I have a petrol pcb-1 in the mail coming to me, delivery tomorrow i guess.
I also own a ex-1 and 17" MBP so i'll check it out for you tomorrow. Petrol claims a 17" laptop will fit.
Daan Bras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:37 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Daan,

that would be very, very nice of you. I appreciate that.
Would you mind to post a photo? I saw the pictures on Petrol's site, it looks nice. The only advantage of the CineBags in my impression - it has additional small bags at the side to put in some Western Digital Passport harddisks for example.
But keep me updated, thanks a lot.
Best regards,
Jürgen
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds