Media error with Sony SxS card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Media error with Sony SxS card

I have a corrupt clip, shot on an EX1 with v1.11 on a Sony branded 8gb SxS card. I don't think I restarted recording with the red access light on, but it's possible. When played back in-camera, I get a media restore error, without the option of repairing it. Cycling power doesn't help.

With Clip Browser, I wasn't able to copy over the clip before (I had CRC on and got a CRC error- didn't check at the time with it off). Now, a couple days later, it copies over with CRC on or off. XDCAM Transfer refuses to convert the clip, giving me the error message: "Import error: condition failure- unexpected error." In the Clip Browser viewer, it plays back properly until a certain frame, where the video freezes (audio continues). A second or two later, the clip resumes playing properly.

Luckily, this turns out to not be a critical clip for the production. This could have been disastrous if it had occurred shortly earlier, during one of the interviews. As it is, my client has been unnerved by the process, and it certainly does me no favors professionally. I'm taking this card out of production until I get it figured out or replaced. Is this a known issue with officially supported, Sony branded SxS cards? I thought I was paying top dollar for these cards in order to avoid the risks associated with SDHC cards.
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Did you try pulling the card out of the camera and back in and seeing if media restore gave you the option to restore? It may not if it's the clip rather than the metadata is damaged.

See if you can copy the mp4 of that clip from the SxS card to hard drive by hand. Then use File Import into ClipBrowser 2.6 and see if the clip plays. That'll confirm whether the damage is to the clip or just the metadata that controls it.

Personally I'm not convinced that SxS as media is that much better than a top rated SDHC card. This is not the first time I've heard of such issues.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Removing and reinserting the card doesn't help. I tried copying the mp4 over, got an error message that it couldn't complete the operation, but the file does appear on my desktop. It won't import into Clip Browser 2.6.
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ugh. If ClipBrowser File/Import doesn't work then it doesn't see it as a valid mp4.
These people are experts at recovering XDCAM EX files.
Aero Quartet: Video gets Personal on your Mac
You may need to send them the SxS card and while they're good they are expensive.

Alternately you should contact Sony since this kind of fail shouldn't happen. I've heard Sony may attempt file rescue when there's an issue with an SxS card so you may want to contact them first. I'm concerned that Sony will pronounce they can't do it and just replace the card whereas aeroquartet might be able to save the file.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help, Craig. I went through a few different Sony offices, and eventually landed at Sony Media Services. Scott Trua was very helpful, he was surprised to hear about the CRC exception, and he's going to run a diagnostic on the card. He mentioned that their office is shutting down in a few weeks, so if people have SxS (or tape) related issues, it's best to take care of them right away as service will probably be disrupted while they transition to a new facility.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Trustee

Andy, do you think this might have been caused be starting to record while the light was red or is there a problem with the card itself.

Glad to hear its a clip you can do without, if this happened during a wedding !!!!

Just as I was about to buy another SxS card.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Andy, do you think this might have been caused be starting to record while the light was red or is there a problem with the card itself.
That should not be an issue with SxS cards which are so much faster and reliable than SDHC (tongue planted in cheek).

Problem could be the card.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post

Problem could be the card.
Don't like the sound of that then Craig.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Now that I look back on the clips, with time of day timecode, I can rule that out. There's 15 seconds between the end of the previous clip and the beginning of the problem clip, and more than a minute between the end of it and the beginning of the next one.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Schocken View Post
Now that I look back on the clips, with time of day timecode, I can rule that out. There's 15 seconds between the end of the previous clip and the beginning of the problem clip, and more than a minute between the end of it and the beginning of the next one.
OK Andy thanks.
Wonder what would have happened if you didn't hit stop, just kept on recording. The problem clip would have lasted longer and then probably have some important material in it you would have needed.

Perhaps its just as well you stooped recording when you did.

Did any error message appear on camera when you were recording?
Were you only aware of the problem clip in playback, after all recording was finished?
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

No error message while shooting. Only noticed the problem when I tried to dump the card at the end of the day.
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #12
Trustee

Any news about the SxS card Andy?
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds