DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   scene settings for pmw 320? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/486833-scene-settings-pmw-320-a.html)

Rodney Minott October 30th, 2010 09:50 PM

scene settings for pmw 320?

Does anyone have any good scene settings for the pmw 320?

Ronnie Martin November 5th, 2010 03:02 PM

Hello Rodney; I have searched for several days now and not found any good info on scene files for the 320.

We just took delivery this week and now have three EX cameras for our company. EX-1R, EX-3 and the 320.

We need information not only on the scene files but how to match the cameras. What I am looking for is examples of picture profiles and corresponding scene files that would help match the cameras.

Thanks

Ronnie Martin

Rodney Minott November 6th, 2010 10:36 AM

thanks

Thanks, Ronnie. I'm still looking too.

Ronnie Martin November 6th, 2010 08:27 PM

Since I am camera matching challenged, what I am looking for is some standard scene files that I can download and then match the corresponding standard picture profiles for the Ex-1R and the Ex-3. More than likely they just do not exist. However, surely there are scene files with descriptive names... neutral.. lush....or something like that.

The 320, like the Ex1R and the Ex-3, are pretty neutral out of the box. The 320 seems a bit softer than the ex-3 . In order to start basically matching the three cameras we need some where to start and that seems to me to be a standard set of scene files. There are so many settings to choose from in all three cameras that I have no idea where to begin. On Monday I plan to call Sony in NJ about a shoe kit order for the 320 and I will ask about it then....

Thanks

Ronnie

Rodney Minott November 7th, 2010 01:01 AM

Please share what you find out from Sony on Monday. Thanks.

Tim Polster November 7th, 2010 08:30 AM

Ronnie,

I would suggest calling a local broadcast rental house and ask if you can "rent out" their camera tech for an hour. Ask if you can take your three cameras to their location and sit down with the tech and match them up.

This is worth it as you will learn as well as have your cameras matched which will often be the settings you use for the life of the cameras.

Ronnie Martin November 7th, 2010 03:23 PM

Great Idea ... However, more than likely the nearest "rental house" that would have a 320 is probably in Atlanta, Memphis or maybe New Orleans all which are 200-400 miles from me. I really don't know anyone in my area that has any of the XDCAM cameras yet. I keep hoping that someone like Doug Jenson from Vortex media will come out with an instructional DVD for this camera and the 350. I spoke with Doug on another forum and he said that he was not working on one at the present. Have you seen any instructional DVDs for the 320/350.???

Thanks

Ronnie

Tim Polster November 7th, 2010 05:25 PM

Do you have a broadcast monitor? If not maybe you can get with a tech who does and you guys could learn the cameras together. I do this with all of my cameras. Setup a scene along with a color chart and adjust. It might not always be perfect, but it is my image. Plus you get to learn what makes an image good, bad or great in your eyes.

Miguel Reis November 10th, 2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodney Minott (Post 1583765)
Does anyone have any good scene settings for the pmw 320?

After 1 month of daily use, I think I'm getting close to a perfect image with my PMW-320.

Of course that depends of the target of your work. In my case TV news.

I prefer not to use color charts, but instead use the real situations and then, after watch the footage in a good monitor, make the small adjustments.

The problem Rodney is that actualy I only work in SD, and I don't know if SD settings can help you...

Rodney Minott November 12th, 2010 12:06 AM

The problem Rodney is that actualy I only work in SD, and I don't know if SD settings can help you...

Thanks, Miguel. I work in HD.

Ronnie Martin November 12th, 2010 06:00 AM

Hello Guys..... I work in both. My acquisition format is always HD. Many of my projects still are SD DVD. We always output each project with a BD-R along with saving the entire project to external hard drive.
Just recently acquired a Drobo back up device and with our current projects are using the Drobo because of the redundancy and safety of the raid.

In the next few days I should have some more time to get into the specifics of the 320 before putting it into service.

Ronnie

Anthony McErlean March 13th, 2011 10:23 AM

Re: scene settings for pmw 320?

Has there any more development in Scene Files for the PMW320.
Can you use the 350 Scene Files posted by Alister?

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie Martin March 13th, 2011 03:48 PM

I am still at a loss for matching the 320 to the ex-3,ex-1R. At this point I am about to go back to the default settings and try again. I did try to match the Doug 1 PP but in doing so I over did it.

Still looking for scene files specific to the 320.

Ronnie

Alister Chapman March 13th, 2011 07:34 PM

The 350 and 320 are very similar cameras and have the same processing sections, so my PMW-350 scene files are a good fit with the 320, although not completely identical due to the different sensor.

The matrix settings work well on both as do the gamma settings. Detail setting are quite different however. I would leave the detail settings on the 320 at default if you are unsure.

Charts are a great way to get several cameras to match. If you use a ChrmaDuMond chart and vector scope you should be able to set up each camera to give the most faithful reproduction of the colors even if you can't get all the cameras you want to match in the same place at the same time.

Ronnie Martin March 13th, 2011 08:13 PM

Thanks so much Allister. Here do I get a ChrmaDuMond chart? I did a search of the Internet and did not come up with one.

Thanks

Ronnie