ex1 beginner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ex1 beginner

Hey i Just brought a ex1

I need some advice on the workflow.

Can you capture full 1080p through firewire and 720p 60fps?

if not what component lead do you need?

firstly what is the first process? is it xdcam browser then transfer then final cut pro

any help would be appreciated thanks

Ollie
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

ClipBrowser to copy from SxS to Hard Drive.
XDCAM Transfer to wrap to .mov for FCP.

You could use USB from camera but I think it's better to use Sony's SxS card reader or if you have MacBook Pro with Express port use that after installing the SxS driver.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Walton View Post
Can you capture full 1080p through firewire and 720p 60fps?
Ollie,

With XDCAM there is no capturing the way you used to do it with tape, so the type of footage you have recorded doesn't make any difference at all. You are just transferring files from one device to another.

As Craig says, file transfer can be done via USB from the camera, a USB SxS card reader, or an ExpressCard slot in a MacBook Pro.

You might find the resources on this page helpful.
Sony | Micro Site HD File-Based Workflow

If XDCAM is new to you, then you may also find some useful information in this online video:
http://www.vortexmedia.com/DVD_WHATS...T_XDCAMEX.html

I also cover the entire workflow and complete camera operation and setup in Vortex Media's EX1R training DVD:
http://www.vortexmedia.com/DVD_EX1.html
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Trustee

Ollie- If you are new to the EX1, Doug Jensen's DVDs and Handbook are absolutely priceless.
These tools will give you complete, organized, and well presented instruction on all aspects of the camera- including how to get the footage from the camera to the editing system.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

G'day Ollie,

like you, I am very new to the EX1R camera. I purchased Doug Jensen's DVDs and Field Guide and read them in conjunction with familiarising myself with the camera. In particular, the Picture Profile that Doug recommends as a general purpose outdoor setting, has been invaluable.

There are numerous other Picture Profiles contained in a "sticky" thread in this forum and I've tried many of them. There is no doubt that they each have there merits, but I keep coming back to Doug's.

Doug also has some excellent suggestions to aid your workflow. Like the others here, I commend Doug's training material to you.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Take some time to read the manual: you'll be surprised how many questions it will anwser about basic operation ;-). (And how many it can raise as well.... I must admit not all is explained in the manual, but transfering files should be mentioned.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds