32GB SxS Pro vs. (for almost the same price) 64GB SxS-1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gosley View Post
An interesting thing, being able to run 3 - 5 days of ENG shooting (non repeatable events) onto one card and reluctance to backup to a computer..

I run 3 x 8GB and 1 x 16GB SxS Pro cards and I back up to a computer at every given opportunity, in fact I am soon to buy a macbook pro 15" with an SxS socket built in specifically for in-field backup.

Not sure how I'd cope with all a weeks shoots on a single card if that card went iffy for whatever reason. I tend to finish a shoot and transfer immediately. I am tempted by the cheaper card options, but have not yet had the courage to try them. Not had any problems so far with the SxS Pro sticks iether.
Dave, where do you get a macbook pro 15" with an SxS socket built in? Is it brand new?
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:18 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: 32GB SxS Pro vs. (for almost the same price) 64GB SxS-1

From a source I know and trust well on Apple kit, the 15" macbook pro has had an SxS slot for years, until 12 months ago when they took it out. However all is not lost - apparently the 17" still does have one, so I will be purchasing a 12 months plus old macbook pro 15 or a newer 17" - not sure yet but I really like the idea of slapping prem pro on it so I can edit before getting back to the studio..
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
Yes, Nexto looks like a perfect solution. It isn't large and he fact that you can quickly review footage removes a lot of anxiety.
Steve, the Nexto DI units are a dream to use. The NVS2500 (500GB) stores approximately 20 hours of XDCam EX footage. And if you want to remove even more anxiety, you can simultaneously backup to both the Nexto and another hard drive at the same time. Though in my experience the Nexto device has rejected every Windows and Mac drive I've attached to it — until I format it fresh with the Nexto (FAT32, I believe).
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #19
Trustee

Going back to the original thread we use three 64Gb cards for our 3-EX1R wedding shoots.

Unless the shoot is remarkably long, we don't need to use the second card (32Gb in each camera). Not having to worry about changing tapes/CF cards (as we did when we used MRC1s) is great.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #20
Major Player

phillip, the 64gb cards are 950.00 now, not sure if theyre the ones that dont have the 5 year limit or not. have you had any issues with them? i was only able to get 2 16gb cards when i got my ex1r a few months ago. but i need more storage in that i shoot alot of weddings as well and 2 16s dont cut it. id be better off going for the 64 at this price rather than 2 32s at 750 each
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds