EX1 where to find older firmware before 1.26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Tourist

EX1 where to find older firmware before 1.26

Hi colleagues!

I just messed up the firmware update on my EX1 to version 1.26. Stupid mistake as I was sure it is completed after the two horizontal bars in the update software showed 100 percent.
I can't start the camcorder anymore but there is hope as the update software still can establish communication with the EX1, telling me that the software version is already 1.26. The only option I have is to "Exit". Before I send the camera to Sony I would like to try the installation of a previous firmware like v1.2 or v1.25. Maybe the updater will accept it as the version number is different. The problem: can't find a version before 1.26 on the Sony servers. Anybody knows a download site for a pre 1.26 version?
Or any other ideas how to bring the EX1 to life again? I hope I don't have to ask Sony for a EPROM flush...

Thanks and regards, Roland
Roland Blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EX1 where to find older firmware before 1.26

This says 1.25 but Sony USA often is seriously mislabeled.
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM EX

This seems to be 1.20 at EU
http://support.pro.sony.eu/software/...&model=PMW-EX1

I haven't heard of anyone who's revived a camera after a fail. I hear local Sony authorized repair is about $3000 USA (replace the board) or Japan flashes it for about $300 USA but turnaround is several weeks.

I'm still at 1.11 and won't change it until I can have Sony do it at authorized service. Even the small risk is too much,

Wishing you the best of luck with this. Please do report back.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Tourist

Dear Craig

Thanks a lot. Fortunately, the EX1 recovered by itself after I gave it another try. Have no idea how it worked as I was unable to restart for an hour. However, I was sure that the software transferred and made it to the EPROM. I would say I was very lucky!

Regards from Switzerland,

Roland
Roland Blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Wow. Great news.

It may be that it made it but boot was very slow.
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Major Player

My upgrade try to 1.26 at home failed, so I sent it to Sony Coquitlam in BC.
They had it up and running in under 2 hours and cost only $100 +/-
Also reset FB.
Unreal service...
Old October 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Are they a Sony service center or an independent?
Sony claims they have to replace the entire board and that only Japan has the tools to do otherwise.
Old October 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Inner Circle

what 1.26 gives over 1.20
I thought that over 1.20 was reserver either to US or EX1r
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Trustee

The EX1 files are not available on the US website. The link that SAYS it will download the files actually goes to a (broken) PDF file. As Mr. Seeman says, Sony's US website is generally a mess.

I just upgraded my EX1 to 1.26 from files I found at the sony.biz website suggested by Mr. Vincic.
Sony Support Centre
There are older versions of the firmware listed on the "Software/Drivers" tab.

I installed the upgrade utility on my Sony laptop computer and connected my EX1 to the (concealed) upgrade USB port. The first attempt aborted immediately, lowering my expectations of success. The sequence of powering up the camera and connecting the USB is rather ambiguous in the instructions and I probably got it wrong.

But the second time I tried, it went through all the steps properly. Watching the progress bar was sometimes scary. Sometimes it goes along in regular steps, but at times it waits for a long time, and right at the end there were several scary delays (like one right at 99.9%) But then it went to 100% although there was still some delay before it appeared to be complete.

I held my breath as the camera "re-booted" but everything came back fine including a new menu item that reports the firmware version number. So far so good. Now I have to test my various SDHC cards to see if there is any difference in whether the camera likes them or spits them out.

I've nearly given up on using SDHC cards altogether. You can't seem to buy reliable ones anymore. My only cards that are reasonably reliable are the ones I bought a couple years ago. I bought a B-stock camera from my local dealer and it didn't come with an SxS card.

But I'm mostly doing multi-camera, live-switch productions recently, and recording in the EX1 isn't as much a priority, although it would be nice to get "iso" recordings. OTOH my NX5 cameras have always been reliable recording to SDHC. Of course, the NX5 was designed for SDHC recording.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Major Player

While I generally agree regarding the older SDHC cards (I still use mine), I have had nothing but success with the Patriot LX Class 10 memory cards in my EX1 with firmware 1.26.

Newegg.com - Patriot LX 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF16GSDHC10

Newegg.com - Patriot LX 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC10

As a bonus, they are cheap and often come with rebates. Patriot Memory has paid all their rebates in a timely fashion without any scams.

I am using the Sonnet adapters

PROVANTAGE: SD-SXS-E34 SDHC Memory Card Adapter for SXS Camera Slot & EXPRESS34 Slot By Sonnet Technologies (Overview)

as well as the old Kensington Adapters. They both work with the Patriot cards without error.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Trustee

Can anyone please post the 1.26 link for EX1?
US site link is broken and UK site for unknown reason gives me an error;
many thanks!
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Major Player

You can find it at the Sony Professional UK site:

Sony Support Centre

Search using the model number

Choose Software / Drivers

You will find it in the list for download.

You will have to sign up if you haven't already.

That is where I got firmware 1.20 a year or two ago.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds