EX1R bad audio hum whenever EVF is switched on at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 10th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
New Boot

EX1R bad audio hum whenever EVF is switched on

Hi folks- my EX1R has developed an audio fault that is somehow connected to the EVF.
Whenever the EVF is switched on, either by selecting it to be on all the time, or by closing the LCD panel a very bad audio buzz starts up- mainly on audio channel 1 but also fainter on channel 2.

I have no idea how to even start fixing this problem so hopefully someone out there will be able to help.

Thanks in advance

Mal
Mal Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: EX1R bad audio hum whenever EVF is switched on

Sounds like electromechanic interference. Is there an image stabiliser on the EX1? These things make some noise too. If it really is the viewfinder, it will probably have to be fixed by Sony, I'm afraid. Unless one of these big ferrite cores would help?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I wonder if it's actually the LCD that's the problem. I hear a hum (more like a whine) whenever my LCD is flipped to face the talent. It happens exactly when the image flips. Your problem could be when the LCD switched off. Mine's been that way since it was brand new.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Major Player

I think Mal was referring to the EVF, the viewfinder, not the flip-out LCD monitor.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That's my point. Is it when the EVF turns on or when the LCD turns off? It's the same moment. In my case, the noise occurs when the LCD is flipped to a certain position. In his it could be when the LCD is slid into the handle. It's all a related mechanical/electrical system.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Major Player

I think we're pretty much in agreement that the camera should go to Sony for repairs, with your current workaround being to keep the EVF off.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys. I've had problems before with flex cables on other Sony cameras so this might be a similar problem.
I'll take it apart & have a look. Does anyone have a link to the service manual for the EX1R please?

Thanks in advance

Mal
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi guys - ok I took the top off the camera's handle to poke around & have a look.

I had thought that my problem may be caused by a faulty flex cable connecting the LCD to the camera as these small cables get twisted around all the time & have failed me in several cameras before.

I've discovered that if I disconnect the EVF by unplugging its connecting cable from the pcb in the handle then the audio buzz problem goes away - no matter how the LCD is positioned. Plug the EVF back in a hey presto the problem is back.

So it appears the problem lies with the EVF. Curiously the EVF appears to work perfectly - if you weren't listening to the audio you'd never know anything was wrong.

So for now I have disconnected the EVF until I can come up with a solution. I don't really want to purchase a new EVF only to find out that the problem was somewhere else so Im a bit stuck.

I'm in the middle of a big job using the camera every day so I'll only take the camera into Sony as a last resort.

Thanks in advance,

Mal
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Trustee

If you're hearing what I'm hearing, I took mine into a shop last year. For laughs, we tried other brand new EX1Rs in the show room, plus two others in for minor repairs.

They all did it.
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I can confirm this on my EX1R too. For me, it's ONLY through the headphone port. I tested it by turning up my trim on my XLRs and increasing my volume knobs to raise the noise floor to where it's actually audible. I then recorded a few seconds turning the EVF on and off and the hum was not present on the recording with the noise floor turned up. It would be blaring if you can hear it above the raised noise floor.

Go into Media mode, it will do the same thing through headphones even when there is no audio feed from the audio block.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Update:

That observation was with no XLR plugged in. Once a microphone has been plugged in for both ports, the hum is present when the EVF is on.

I guess if you need an EVF, you need to get a Hoodman if you want clean audio.
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Try listening for it with your cams powered by AC not battery.

A similar earthing problem occurred with the Pansonic GS400 circa 2004. Can't remember what we did about it tho.

Cheers.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #13
Inner Circle

No, this still happens using the BC-U1's DC out.

To give everyone the idea: It sounds like a power-line transformer when it's listened to through headphones and the XLR inputs. It's due to the new LCoS viewfinder.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; April 14th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #14
Major Player

When you opened it, do the cables have interference traps (ferrite cores) on them? Maybe they slid down out of the way or maybe you could add them yourself if it isn't under the warranty.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds