1 time backfocus screw-up on EX1R, should I be concerned? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

1 time backfocus screw-up on EX1R, should I be concerned?

So, I put my EX1R back into my bag for a bit and I just got it out and booted it up again, to find the backfocus was completely lost...

Weird thing is, when I shut it off and rebooted it after a few failed attempts at doing an auto backfocus, it corrected itself. I did a backfocus just in case on a siemens star I put on my computer monitor.

IDK if this common, but on manual zooms, the servo always tries to catch up to snap zooms, especially at infinity. It always loses focus on autofocus on snap zooms. Is this bad backfocus? or something completely different?

It's closing in on a month that I've owned the machine, and this is the first time I've encountered a major problem with the machine.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 1 time backfocus screw-up on EX1R, should I be concerned?

This will probably come as a disappointment to you but I had worked with couple of EX1r's and all of them exhibited this (back) focus issues. Two of them were so bad that it was very frustrating.

On the other hand, my own EX1 NEVER EVER had this issue.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

And servicing isn't a cure? Does this mean I need to prepare for backfocus issues all the time?

I am under a 1 year warranty, so I'm considering servicing the camera.
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

My EX1r has had no backfocus issues in 17 months of ownership.

I would recommend sending it in for service.
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
And servicing isn't a cure? Does this mean I need to prepare for backfocus issues all the time?

I am under a 1 year warranty, so I'm considering servicing the camera.
I don't know, neither one of the R cameras were mine, but I can tell you that the two I had most issues with were from a national broadcaster and they were used daily in ENG.

I would definitely had them checked if they were mine.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Inner Circle

So, snap zooming from wide to telephoto on infinity focus shouldn't rapidly go out of focus and back again? I know the EX1R is a servo focus, but it certainly can't be that bad...

If I were to make a wild-a** guess, it would be the current solar storm that coincidentally caused it to screw up backfocus.
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Its not bad at all. I use manual zoom on my camera a lot and it holds focus across the range just fine. If yours doesn't then it sounds like it needs a trip in for service.
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Leaving the macro switched on can lead to results that might make people believe their back focus is failing.
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Flicked the macro switch off, and it's still having trouble following focus when snap zooming from wide to telephoto on infinity focus. This definitely means service.
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Just got back from the service center. The problem I described on the third line of my original post exists on all the EX1Rs they had on hand and possibly every EX1R in existance. So it's a non-issue, it's just it was made that way.

Still, it shouldn't lose backfocus upon booting up. That problem is a wait and see if it does it again.

To see the other problem in action, do this test with your EX1R right now:

Focus on something at infinity focus fully zoomed in, then disengage the zoom servo. Snap zoom it as fast as possible, and you will see the issue. The servo is just too slow and snap zooms don't stay in focus.
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #11
Major Player

Once focus is perfect in full tele position, it should stay that way when zoomed out, no matter the zoom speed. If not, it means that the autofocus system is no good, whicj it usually isn't. That's why I never, ever use autofocus. In fact, there even is no such thing on my PMW320 with it's professional video lens.(Or any other decent camera, for that matter...)
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Inner Circle

When the snap zoom reaches it's destination, it's in focus, but during the rapid snap zoom, the servo can't keep up.

All things related to snap zooming aside, currently, the camera retains focus. I only had a fluke backfocus loss upon bootup once. My conspiracy theory is the solar storm, but it may well be a firmware bug too if it recovers upon booting up again.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds