EX3 nanoflash vs samurai? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: EX3 nanoflash vs samurai?

I will be giving the Samurai a try with a friend on a test shoot.

Makes sense to use SSD over HDD.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; March 8th, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I strongly recommend you use SSD's in the Samurai and not hard drives. HDD or OK if your on a tripod most of the time, although loud music and other vibration sources can cause them to fail. But HDD's are not as robust as SSD's. Drop one and you risk loosing everything on it.
I totally agree with Alister, SSD's is the best for samurai, I just gotten my own recently and I have been doing some stress test on the unit to know how hard it can withstand shake and sudden jolt and I discovered on several occassions that it stopped working and I had to do hard restart of the unit. but I must confess i did this on old HDD lying around in my studio. At the moment I am thinking of getting SSD for peace of mind. I think HDD might be good in a situation where you might do dual recording for extra security of footage not necessarily extra advantage that comes with recording uncompressed. I also think that the introduction of Avid DnxHD codec(8 and 10 bits) will be a real game changer for Samurai vs Nano.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #48
New Boot

Anyone know a way of finding a used nanoflash at a good price?
Hal Protter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Protter View Post
Anyone know a way of finding a used nanoflash at a good price?
What is considered a good price for a slightly used nanoFlash (including SDI & HDMI cable, usb CF reader, AC power)? I've probably only recorded 40-50 hours total on my nanoFlash aside from several hours of testing with greenscreen and a FS100. However, if I decide to start using a FS100 in more work, I will keep my nanoFlash because I really like the combo.

I have been thinking about selling mine, but I don't think I would get enough money for it to make it worthwhile. (I'm keeping my 64GB Transcend 600x and 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards since I use them with my Canon 5D & 7D)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Hal here is the link to my ad on DVinfo classified.

Will also send you an email as we discussed on the phone yesterday.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...sh-extras.html
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
When you say 1/2 price does that include matching CF cards to Hard drives?
even SSDs are cheaper than CF cards, and we're talking about spinning or hybrid drives, they are way less expensive than compact flash.
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Thanks I checked and compared the pricing.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #53
Trustee

In terms of reliability, nothing is better than the SxS cards which are designed for one purpose, and one purpose only - to record a constant stream of data.

Anyone who has been a Pro still photog knows that CF cards are not very reliable, which is why Sandisk would include recovery software with their expensive cards up until the last couple years (probably to cut costs).

Consumer SSDs are not designed to write a constant stream of data which is why many do not work reliably for video recording. However, the Enterprise SSDs which use SLC memory are designed for constant writing but cost 3-4 times as much as consumer SSDs with MLC chips.

There is a reason why Arri chose SxS cards for its internal recording and not CF cards or SSDs. Also, look at C-D's Gemini and their custom made SSDs and Red with their custom designed SSDs.

For the utmost reliability, you can't beat a memory device that is custom built for a single purpose.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Good point Steve,

I have recorded over 30 TB with my SxS and not one dropped frame on 6 different cameras. But with CF cards and high quality ones I have had a 30% failure with cards. One of the may reasons to always dual record unless it is SXS cards.
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Anyone who has been a Pro still photog knows that CF cards are not very reliable, which is why Sandisk would include recovery software with their expensive cards up until the last couple years (probably to cut costs)
I tend to disagree with this: I've been a professional press and concert photographer, using digital camera's since the very beginning in the year 2000 (Nikon 1D), and on a total of more than 100,000 clicks, I have had only one instance where a CF-card let me down. Unfortunately it was the shoot of the start of the Tour de France in Antwerp, so that was a disaster. But otherwise, I have never had any problems, although some of my shoots were in rather difficult circumstances. 100 pix lost on a total of approx. 100,000... I would call that very reliable anytime.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #56
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
I tend to disagree with this: I've been a professional press and concert photographer, using digital camera's since the very beginning in the year 2000 (Nikon 1D), and on a total of more than 100,000 clicks, I have had only one instance where a CF-card let me down. Unfortunately it was the shoot of the start of the Tour de France in Antwerp, so that was a disaster. But otherwise, I have never had any problems, although some of my shoots were in rather difficult circumstances. 100 pix lost on a total of approx. 100,000... I would call that very reliable anytime.
You can't base reliability off of your own experience and neither can I. I know a few wedding photographers who use only 4GB cards due to the problems they have experienced and do not want to risk losing more than 4GB of data at a time. For high end video, there are many people who use 2 recording systems because all forms of electronic recording fail - its not a matter of 'IF', its a matter of 'WHEN'. This is one of the main reasons why I use my nanoFlash.

Its very telling when CF manufacturers include recovery software with their products. Now, to save money, they tell their users to download the recovery software from their website rather than include mini CDs with the CF cards.
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #57
Major Player

I have based this opinion not only on my experience, but on that of numerous colleagues and friends, press photographers who also describe the CF-cards they use in their hi-end Canon's and Nikon's as 'very reliable'. Trust me, just as me they earn(ed) their living with these cards and the industry wouldn't tolerate major and frequent failures. Moreover: I would hardly compare a wedding photographer who shoots once a week (if he's lucky) to newspaper guys who shoot every day. Even the cheaper Transcend cards (without recovery software) have never let me down. The only card that ever failed was a Lexar.

That said, SD-cards are a completely different matter: they were designed for amateur use and I wouldn't trust these at all for any professional job: too flimsy.
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
That said, SD-cards are a completely different matter: they were designed for amateur use and I wouldn't trust these at all for any professional job: too flimsy.
You really need to go and look at some of the websites that stress test SD cards for fun some time before making sweeping statements. Just even a cursory search on Youtube shows some very extreme testing. In the sample below while the Sandisk fails at the first hurdle (which granted was firing a bullet at it which shouldn't concern most of us), the Panasonic survives the bullet, being driven over and being baked.

The Most Brutal SD Card Torture Test Ever - YouTube
There were also some very interesting tests I saw last year regarding ATP cards and radiation and magnetism. The cards survived to a level that if the data was erased, frankly your footage would be the last thing you would be worrying about.

"Flimsy" is something that breaks in your hand easily, not something that breaks because it has a bullet fired at it!
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #59
Major Player

SD-cards, compared to CF-cards, are very flimsy. Try to break a CF card in two and do the same with an SD card, you'll see what I mean. In my shirt- or back-pocket, an SD-card wouldn't live long. Moreover, SD cards have exposed contacts which makes them even more vulnerable. It's not a coincidence that all pro still camera's use CF-cards for more than a decade now. Only very rarely they also have an SD-slot, for backup, like some Canon 1D's. I do not know one of my friends and colleagues press photographers who would trust an SD card in his camera's. But that's in real everyday life, not a single test.
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #60
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
"Flimsy" is something that breaks in your hand easily, not something that breaks because it has a bullet fired at it!
"Flimsy" is exactly how I would describe SD cards. In fact, three weeks ago I had a 32GB SDHC card from a major manufacturer literally fall apart. I was using my finger tip (not fingernail) to insert it into a reader when the card split into two halves (like two slices of bread) and my finger went right into the card. After that, the card would not work and I lost about 40 clips. Luckily the camera and lighting was still setup in the studio so it only took a couple of hours to reshoot, but now I am even more wary of using SDHC cards.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds