XDCAM & FCp7 Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM & FCp7 Settings

Hey guys maybe someone can help im getting a little confused. Im not a computer wiz so if you reply please give me step by step instructions.

Ok I have A Sony Pmwex1R that i shoot with and then edit the footage with FCP7. When I set my camera to SD mode and choose DVCAM30P Sq I need to know what I should be setting the below settings in FCP to for best results. For Example

#1 in the user Preferences under render control what should my "Codec" be set at?
#2 in easy setup what should my format, rate, and use be set at?
#3 in Audio/Video settings what should my Sequence preset, Capture preset be set at?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Michael Armao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: XDCAM & FCp7 Settings

There are two approaches to this issue.

1) If you want to edit with sequence settings that match your raw footage, then start a new Sequence in FCP7 and drag one of your raw footage clips onto the timeline. FCP will ask you if you want to allow it to automatically match the sequence to your raw footage. If you answer YES, then that's all you need to do and you can begin editing right away without worrying about the details.

2) Another approach is to configure your Sequence to match your desired output settings, without regard to what the native raw footage is. For example, if I am editing a project that I know will only be used for DVD output, I will shoot the raw footage in HD but configure my Sequence with settings that work best for DVD. There are many advantages to editing with this approach.

You'll have to decide which approach is best for you, but either way, I strongly encourage you to reconsider shooting shooting with DVCAM on the EX1. In my opinion, that is a big mistake for many reasons. Not only will you be recording an inferior image, many of the EX1R's most useful features don't even function in the SD mode. I can't really see any reason for shooting SD in 2013. I haven't shot SD since 2006.
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

You still have to use the XDCAM transfer tool in fcp7 to import footage, right (I have 6 right now)? If so, that's another fun thing he gets to deal with.

Yup, can't just import it/drop it in the timeline anymore.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Doug for your reply.

I have bought from you, your Book, Dvd, and the shoulder brace. I know you have always said to record in HD. I use to but stopped, because the render time while working on the time line was driving me nuts. I was shooting in hd and when I was editing in fcp I was using effects that were Sd (which most of mine are) and the render time was killing me. Thats why I went Back to Sd. Thinking of going back to HD. If I do use Hd recording and drop it into the timeline and match the footage with the sequence, when I am done and export it to compressor to be converted for an SD DVD won't that degrade the look even more then if i just shot, edited, and transferred to dvd.

The second problem I am having while in the middle of this project is worse then my first problem. I made titles in Live Type which look clear as day while in LT and on my FCP timeline. Then when don with my project I export the movie using same settings at which time I check the newly made MOV file and again video and titles look great. I then take that new MOV file and put it into compressor for it to be compressed for a SD DVD. After compressor is completed I again check that new video and again everything looks great. I now bring that new compressor file into DVD Studio Pro to make my Menus and chapters, but now all text looks bad. While playing in DVD studio pro and after I burn it to a disk and show it on a TV. The text is super clear But has Jagged edges. If I take that same project either right out of FCP or after compressor and put it into IDVD instead of DVD studio pro, the the titles are Fine. Im loosing hair over this trying to fix it for a week now. I changed every setting that i can think of in DVD Studio pro trying to fix this. To add another piece of the puzzle to this, After I tried to fix this and couldn't I removed the LT titles from my original project in FCP and replaced them with the Boris text, and the same exact thing has happened. Its making me think that maybe there is something in DVD studio pro thats not right. I went onto the web and searched this problem and people gave many answers. 1 don't use your computer monitor use an external monitor, I tried didn't work. 2 Match all settings to your in FCP to your footage, I did didn't work, 3 set DVD Studio back to original specs, I think I did not sure if i did it right, that didn't work. I was thinking of uninstalling DVD Studio pro and reinstalling it, but found out you can't. Im at the point to do a clean instal reinstall my operating system and reinstalling Final cut studio. please any help that you can offer I would appreciate.

Thank You

Michael
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Michael, first of all, thank you for being a loyal customer. I appreciate your business.

I can't say that I can follow everything you have written, but it sure sounds like your problem is with DVD Studio Pro and/or Compressor. I don't think it has anything do with the camera, XDCAM, or Final Cut Pro. I also think that reinstalling the software won't help. I'm betting you are not using the right settings. There are too many things that go wrong in the workflow, and that's why I always use an old project as a template for a new project. That way I don't have to think too much about it. I think you would agree that my DVDs generally look pretty good.

If you want to email me one of your DVD Studio Pro files, I'll be happy to take a look and see if I see anything different from the settings I use. Just keep in mind that I am NOT a DVD Studio Pro expert.

Also, it might be helpful for us to know what your Compressor settings are. Once you finish a project in FCP, exactly how do you prepare it for use in DVD Studio Pro? If you can document every one of your steps and settings, in a clear and concise manner, I'll bet someone here will see what is wrong. But it depends on you to be very specific about the workflow and settings you use.
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Once again Doug thanks for your help I hope this is what you mean when you ask for my DVD Studio Preferences. I not sure what dvd studio pro file you would want me to email you. If below is not what you are looking for please let me know.

DVD Studio Preferences

Project
DVD Standard = SD DVD
Video Standard = NTCS
Default Language = English

General
Slideshow and Tracks
Default slide length = 5 sec
background color = black

SD DVD Menus, Tracks, and Slideshows
display mode = 4:3

HD menu, Tracks, and Slideshows
Resolution 1280x720p
Display mode = 16:9 letterbox

Thumbnail size
Palette = small
slideshow = small

Subtitles
fade in = 0
length = 5 seconds
fade out = 0

Menu
motion duration = 30 sec
auto assign button navigation = left to right
Final rendering = hardware based
drop palette delay = set a little past short
video background color = black

Track
Marker prefix (root) name = chapter
Check for unique name = unchecked
generate marker names =automatically
snap to = nearest GOP

Thumbnail offset = 4.0 seconds

default language = not specified

space bar toggles between play/pause = checked
fix invalid markers on build = unchecked
find matching audio when dragging = checked

Alignment
Rulers = show
units = pixels
show ruler guide tooltips measurements = checked
guides = show
show dynamic guides at object center = checked
show dynamic guides at object edges = checked

Text
show = subtitle text settings
front = Helvetica - 36.0
horizontal set to center offset = 0
vertical set to bottom offset = 0

Simulator
audio = not specified
subtitle = not specified
dvd menu = not specified
enable dvd access web links = unchecked
Default region = all
video = simulator window
audio built in line output
resolution = SD
display mode = 4:3 Pan-Scan

Destinations
show = encoding
location = same folder as the asset

Encoding mpeg - 2- SD
aspect ratio = 4:3
start = 00:00:00:00
drop frame = unchecked
field order = auto
mode = one pass VBR
Bit rate 4.0
max bit rate = 7.0
motion estimation = Best
method = background encoding

Encoding mpeg - 2- HD
aspect ratio greyed out
start = 00:00:00:00
drop frame = unchecked
field order = auto
mode = one pass VBR
Bit rate 18.0
max bit rate = 27.0
motion estimation = better method = background encoding

To answer your other Question "it might be helpful for us to know what your Compressor settings are. Once you finish a project in FCP, exactly how do you prepare it for use in DVD Studio Pro?

Once I finish a project in FCP I Select File, Export, Quicktime movie using current settings, include audio and video , markers set to chapter markers and make movie self-contained. Once the file is exported i take that file I open up compressor and choose from the drop down menu to make a SD DVD. But I don't think the problem is FCP or Compressor, because as i said I check the movie at all steps and text looks great until I put it into SVS Studio Pro.

Is there another program that i can use to make menus and use chapter markers for my dvds

Thanks for your help

Mike
Old January 20th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Armao View Post
Its making me think that maybe there is something in DVD studio pro thats not right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Armao View Post
Is there another program that i can use to make menus and use chapter markers for my dvds
For what it's worth, Michael, I agree with you that DVD Studio Pro tends to degrade or soften the image of the menu itself (in all other respects I've found DVD SP to be superb). I could never get to the bottom of what caused it, so eventually I switched to a different program called Encore (by Adobe) which gives nice, crisp menus.

I still make my DVD assets through Compressor and then put them into Encore for final authoring. For what it's worth.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Michael, I've got a busy schedule today but I should be able to work on it this afternoon.
I just didn't want to leave you hanging in the mean time.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you Doug no problem

Michael
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Michael,

Unfortunately, I don't seen anything in your preferences that jumps out at me as being the problem. What you really need to do is select one of the video files that is having the problem and then look at the settings in the inspector. That's where the settings really count. For example, are all the aspect ratio settings correct? Also, I don't think you ever said if you are working with interlaced or progressive video? If it's not progressive, that could very well be the heart of your problem.

Sorry I couldn't pin point the issue, but like I said, I'm not a DVD Studio Pro expert.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; January 21st, 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Ok guys I am about to jump off my roof.... lol

I started a new project that needs to be edited from a job a shot about 2 months ago. Ok let me spell it all out in steps so maybe someone can help me.

1. I shot footage from my Sonypmwex1R in SD footage.

2. I opened up my FCP and set the sequence to match my footage that was shot. 740 x 486 29.97 fps DV/DVCPRO _ NTSC Pixel Aspect NTSC-CCIR 60 Field Dominance Lower EVEN.

3. I add a video clip to the TL looks perfect.

4. I make a title in the viewer window using Boris and drop it onto my TL above my video clip that I put there. The Title looks Perfect in my canvas, although I now have a RED line telling me that it has to be rendered. When I render it my once perfect title looks Bad. Not clean, not sharp, and pixilated.

5. If i make a correct to my title it once agin looks perfect BUT red line again telling me to render it then back to looking crapy.

What the heck is going wrong this has never happen to me before.

Please anybody who solves will be my hero

Thank Mike Armao
Michael Armao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds