atomos ninjablade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 18th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Major Player

atomos ninjablade

Anyone used their products?
Thinkin bout buying this,have some all day shoots coming up
Would b easier with this than constantly changing out cards.
How proven is this product for reliability
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: atomos ninjablade

I use their Samurai Blade recorder/monitor with my Sony PMW320 camera. It's fantastic.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Did u still backup on sxs
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Would you go out without insurance?
Of course you should record to SxS cards as a backup!
All you need is someone to walk by and bump the cable the wrong way and your external recording could be compromised.
Put a couple of 64GB cards in the camera and you won't be swapping very often.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Don't have Enuf cards,will figure something out,its from 830-630,not Enuf breaks to dump cards
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Jim,

A great deal of my work is recording multi-day corporate conventions. For the last ten years my main recording system is going to external hard drives from a Sony Anycast so I have a perfectly switched program record. I have countless cases of DVCAM 184 tapes that were recorded as back ups and never touched again. About 10 months ago I finally had a hard drive failure and was unable to recover two, three hour presentations from a hard drive.

My back up at that show was in camera cards and I also record the ISO camera feeds to a second hard drive. Plus I retain a copy of PowerPoint slides. Thank God I was diligent for ten years! It was bound to happen sooner or later. This was later. I can still say I have NEVER had to go to a client and tell them I have an unrecoverable problem on my hands. Meeting planners get bad records all the time from AV companies. Not from me. I am not trying to sound cocky, it is the truth. I believe it is unprofessional not to back up a recording system with so much at stake.

Steve
Old April 19th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Most of my shoots aren't this long,its a 2 day recital
Plan on just buying some xtra Sony sxs adapters and
sandisc ultra class 10s.much cheaper than more sxs cards.
I plan on buying the blade.was very impressed with it at nab,very reasonable at 995.00
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Major Player

For a thousand bucks you could pretty much get three 64 gig XQD cards and have 12 hours of hot swapping shooting, without risk of a drive/cable failure.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Xqd go in sxs slot on ex1r?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Trustee

I've used both the Pix220 and the Atomos Ninja2 - and now the Ninja Blade with my EX1Rs for conference record. In fact, I had a funky HD recorder that put a sort of 'fake' SxS card (USB2 interface) into the camera which then fed a bus powered spinning hard drive in a USB enclosure that was strapped to the camera.

All solutions worked well. The funky solution (called the SeXy) worked very well, got a little hot, but just sat there and did what I asked. Never missed a beat. the Pix220 was big and heavy. and to be honest - yes, I did have a few issues over time, but hey. I loved the audio inputs and the ability to loop through into the camera so that the EX1R had a high quality line input from the Pix for audio.

The early Ninjas didn't feel right. Not quite ready for prime time then. However, now I have the Ninja Blade and the Pix220 is semi-retired. I am super-happy with the Ninja Blade for all sorts of reasons.

I use SanDisk Extreme II SSDs which are now at a good price. 480GB will take on almost anything, and they're cost effective enough to have a couple knocking around per recorder (I still have the Pix). You can use Spinning Disk, and I would use that if I had 3 cameras recording 'iso' for 3 days, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Bottom line: Atomos Ninja has come of age with AtomOS 5.1.1, yes I consider it reliable, and unlike Pix it will use spinning drives when you need volume capture.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
Xqd go in sxs slot on ex1r?
I happen to have an EX1R and I'm happily using XQD cards via the XQD to Expresscard adapter. Make sure you're Firmware version 1.30 or later.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds