Batteries for XDCam EX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 30th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #16
Major Player

Mike

At the moment I'm using a PAG 12V light with a 20W lamp connected with a D-Tap to my shoulder mounted Sony DSR-300 (and very conveniently switches on and off with the trigger button). Since the EX might not be as low light as the DSR-300 I'm anticipating that I might be using a 35W lamp. I've done some more research and I think I shall be buying the Hark-Woods VL-CF2 and modify it to attach to the tripod screw at the bottom of the camera. I shall then use my existing 105W/hr batteries. By this way I shall have about 3 hours of portable light (if I use a 35W lamp) whilst I would be adding just 1Kg extra to the camera. Since this 1 Kg is evenly spread at the bottom it should not be much of a problem......I hope!

Brian
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:27 AM   #17
Anton/Bauer

But how will you mount your camera to the tripod??
Scott Keyworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:41 AM   #18
Major Player

Good question. Since I do a lot of event videos and loads of weddings, I do not need a tripod. If I do need to do tripod work then most probably the on-camera light would not be necessary as I would be depending on the available light, hence I can remove the V-plate from underneath the camera. This set-up would be needed when filming weddings/events in dim light conditions and where one needs to be hand held to be as candid as possible.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM   #19
Major Player

What

Switches on and off when you hit start/stop?

Very nice. Will put that on my wish list for the holidays :)

Mike
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM   #20
Trustee

Hm,
if I get the camera it'll get rails and a matte box, so, longer rails (or Zacuto's system) and a AB battery out the back will be very cool indeed. Their big bricks should run the camera and a Z90 Zylight for a very long time.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:26 AM   #21
Major Player

I hang a V-Mount adaptor for a HD100 off the back of my little JVC 301 (smaller than a PD170) without any problem. In fact the added length lets you rest the battery against your sholder as you hand hold for extended times which helps a lot.

IDX need to make this same adaptor for this camera but it should be cheaper as it would only be a physical adaptor, no voltage changes required (the above needs to convert 14.4 to 7.2v).

Although I bet Sony have some electronics in the new batteries the camera won't work without which any adaptor will need to trick the camera into thinking it it is a genuine Sony battery......

My long term solution would be to get a the lowest capacity cheapest battery for this camera (or an old one with dying cells) and hack it to a V-Mount plate.

If the run time on these new batteries is good it may not be a problem though. Lets see (roughly):

10W @ 14.4v = .7A (700mA) current draw
3800mAH / 700 = 5.4 hours

Even if we get a good 4 hours off a single battery we arn't doing too bad (unless the batteries are US$400 each....). I am sure the camera will come with a charger so you won't have to buy one of those.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #22
Anton/Bauer

BP-U60 Does not come In box

According to the .pdf file the PMW-EX1 comes with the BP-U30 battery which will only run the camera 2 hours. The BP-U60 sold separably.

The .pdf is to big to attach. Here is a link.
http://www.sony.com.au/objects/PDF/PDWEX1_Brochure.pdf

Scott Keyworth
Scott Keyworth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds