DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   XDCAM EX possibly at $6k (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/102588-xdcam-ex-possibly-6k.html)

Alex Leith September 7th, 2007 03:00 PM

According to Nigel Cooper, Sony and Sandisk will be the first to make SxS cards, but others will follow. Although P2 and SxS prices currently look comparable (in fact SxS is at least 3 times cheaper minute for minute) it's likely that prices will drop on SxS once R&D costs have been recouped and other manufacturers get in on the act. Also the camcorder at IBF is preproduction, so it may not be a fair to assume generic cards won't work based on a quick play at a trade show. Earlier discussions pointed to the fact that there were two different types of bus technology in these flash memory cards (one of which will not be supported by the XDCAM EX) so if the generic card was a USB based card, it wouldn't work anyway.

Jason Strongfield September 7th, 2007 03:15 PM

According to Sony website: "The 8GB SBP-8 will be priced around €400 and the 16GB SBP-16 around €700." SO, that is roughly around $550 (8 gig) and $960 (16 gig). Now this is msrp and we have to wait till the thing is released to know the street price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 740943)
Where have you read the price of the SxS cards? I've been wanting to know what they cost.

Greg Boston September 7th, 2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield (Post 740954)
According to Sony website: "The 8GB SBP-8 will be priced around €400 and the 16GB SBP-16 around €700." SO, that is roughly around $550 (8 gig) and $960 (16 gig). Now this is msrp and we have to wait till the thing is released to know the street price.

Again, you must remember that a straight currency conversion won't get you the real world price in US dollars. You'll have to wait and see what they cost in the US from US vendors.

-gb-

Stu Holmes September 7th, 2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 740964)
Again, you must remember that a straight currency conversion won't get you the real world price in US dollars. You'll have to wait and see what they cost in the US from US vendors.

-gb-

Greg's spot on with this.

I think US$600 or so for a 16Gb won't be too far off (streetprices, not MSRP).
So really quite a bit less than P2 cards (probably! like Greg said... let's see).

Tim Polster September 7th, 2007 03:40 PM

This is the only reason for pause with this camera.

Everything else looks like a homerun.

Even with a lower US price for the SxS, they are not at the price point where most buyers of this camera are going to go out and stock up on on cards to have ample recording time.

Alex Leith September 7th, 2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes (Post 740967)
Greg's spot on with this...

Although Sony prices for the F330 and F350 cameras have been LESS in Europe than they are in the US. So I think it's difficult to call either way until someone at Sony actually gives a price!

Jason Strongfield September 7th, 2007 10:47 PM

$6999 with 2x 8 gig (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103089) SxS card is not that bad of a price. If it's 2x 16 gig card, i am preordering the cam ASAP.

Guy Barwood September 8th, 2007 02:21 AM

Yea, 2x16GB would be sweet but I wouldn't start a wedding unless I knew I had at least 4 hours of record time up my belt.

Monday Isa September 8th, 2007 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Barwood (Post 741110)
Yea, 2x16GB would be sweet but I wouldn't start a wedding unless I knew I had at least 4 hours of record time up my belt.

I agree with you there Guy. The 2 8GBs are always usable for preparation or photo sessions but I would need for safety 2 hrs for the ceremony and 2 hrs for reception. So I need an additional 4x16GB cards. My only concern now is the cost and using other cards that'll work in place of Sony's SxS card. I just need to calm down from being overly excited.

Guy Barwood September 8th, 2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 741151)
I just need to calm down from being overly excited.

I am with you there too. I can't really afford to buy one, yet I think I have too anyway. The real problem is I have to also find the money for cards, which if SxS only, is going to be a real problem, especially with the Nikon D3 I need (read want) to buy and all...

Mats Frendahl September 8th, 2007 07:33 AM

"Price is only a problem if you make it one" (car sales man)

Prices will drop rapidly - especially when Canon et al. have the same tech. I wouldn't buy one now, unless ROI = quickly.

Thierry Humeau September 8th, 2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 740970)
This is the only reason for pause with this camera.

Everything else looks like a homerun.

Even with a lower US price for the SxS, they are not at the price point where most buyers of this camera are going to go out and stock up on on cards to have ample recording time.

This is true and having conducting my own survey with P2 users, memory price and difficulties to archive shot material is a major drawback (often under estimated...) in the production workflow. That said, XDCAM EX records much smaller files than P2 and that itself makes the format way more efficient, transportable and cost-effective.

Thierry.