XDCAM EX possibly at $6k - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #61
Major Player

According to Nigel Cooper, Sony and Sandisk will be the first to make SxS cards, but others will follow. Although P2 and SxS prices currently look comparable (in fact SxS is at least 3 times cheaper minute for minute) it's likely that prices will drop on SxS once R&D costs have been recouped and other manufacturers get in on the act. Also the camcorder at IBF is preproduction, so it may not be a fair to assume generic cards won't work based on a quick play at a trade show. Earlier discussions pointed to the fact that there were two different types of bus technology in these flash memory cards (one of which will not be supported by the XDCAM EX) so if the generic card was a USB based card, it wouldn't work anyway.
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #62
Regular Crew

According to Sony website: "The 8GB SBP-8 will be priced around €400 and the 16GB SBP-16 around €700." SO, that is roughly around $550 (8 gig) and $960 (16 gig). Now this is msrp and we have to wait till the thing is released to know the street price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Where have you read the price of the SxS cards? I've been wanting to know what they cost.
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #63
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield View Post
According to Sony website: "The 8GB SBP-8 will be priced around €400 and the 16GB SBP-16 around €700." SO, that is roughly around $550 (8 gig) and $960 (16 gig). Now this is msrp and we have to wait till the thing is released to know the street price.
Again, you must remember that a straight currency conversion won't get you the real world price in US dollars. You'll have to wait and see what they cost in the US from US vendors.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Again, you must remember that a straight currency conversion won't get you the real world price in US dollars. You'll have to wait and see what they cost in the US from US vendors.

-gb-
Greg's spot on with this.

I think US$600 or so for a 16Gb won't be too far off (streetprices, not MSRP).
So really quite a bit less than P2 cards (probably! like Greg said... let's see).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #65
Inner Circle

This is the only reason for pause with this camera.

Everything else looks like a homerun.

Even with a lower US price for the SxS, they are not at the price point where most buyers of this camera are going to go out and stock up on on cards to have ample recording time.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
Greg's spot on with this...
Although Sony prices for the F330 and F350 cameras have been LESS in Europe than they are in the US. So I think it's difficult to call either way until someone at Sony actually gives a price!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #67
Regular Crew

$6999 with 2x 8 gig (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103089) SxS card is not that bad of a price. If it's 2x 16 gig card, i am preordering the cam ASAP.
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #68
Major Player

Yea, 2x16GB would be sweet but I wouldn't start a wedding unless I knew I had at least 4 hours of record time up my belt.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood View Post
Yea, 2x16GB would be sweet but I wouldn't start a wedding unless I knew I had at least 4 hours of record time up my belt.
I agree with you there Guy. The 2 8GBs are always usable for preparation or photo sessions but I would need for safety 2 hrs for the ceremony and 2 hrs for reception. So I need an additional 4x16GB cards. My only concern now is the cost and using other cards that'll work in place of Sony's SxS card. I just need to calm down from being overly excited.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
I just need to calm down from being overly excited.
I am with you there too. I can't really afford to buy one, yet I think I have too anyway. The real problem is I have to also find the money for cards, which if SxS only, is going to be a real problem, especially with the Nikon D3 I need (read want) to buy and all...
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #71
Regular Crew

"Price is only a problem if you make it one" (car sales man)

Prices will drop rapidly - especially when Canon et al. have the same tech. I wouldn't buy one now, unless ROI = quickly.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #72
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
This is the only reason for pause with this camera.

Everything else looks like a homerun.

Even with a lower US price for the SxS, they are not at the price point where most buyers of this camera are going to go out and stock up on on cards to have ample recording time.
This is true and having conducting my own survey with P2 users, memory price and difficulties to archive shot material is a major drawback (often under estimated...) in the production workflow. That said, XDCAM EX records much smaller files than P2 and that itself makes the format way more efficient, transportable and cost-effective.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds