Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #121
Regular Crew

Question for Piotr

Any update on the 521ex release date? And any idea as to price?

Dave McCallister
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM   #122
Inner Circle

Dave,

I'll try to use my contacts and investigate - but only next week :)
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #123
New Boot

Any updates on the Manfrotto solution?
Ryan Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #124
Regular Crew

Got the Libec ZC-9EX last week for a job, and I'd highly recommend it. The speed control is at least comparable to the ex1 zoom rocker, and the cable is very solid (I've seen bebobs get snagged and pull out of the remote). The ability to add an extension cable was the reason I bought it in the first place, but it is a very nice item otherwise.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #125
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Quan View Post
Any updates on the Manfrotto solution?
I only am in touch with the engineering people, not marketing - but as far as they can tell, the MN521ex should be available by the end of the month.
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #126
New Boot

Cool, looking forward to it.

Also, is there a reason none of the major manufacturers make a remote with focus control? Am I missing something?
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #127
Major Player

Quote:
Also, is there a reason none of the major manufacturers make a remote with focus control? Am I missing something?
No you're not missing anything, the EX1 is; it has no interface for remote focus.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #128
New Boot

Do you think Sony will add focus control through a firmware update? Or is it possible through a 3rd party processor?
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #129
Inner Circle

From the Manfrotto engineers I know the 8-pin proprietary socket on the EX1 doesn't provide any other connection that those for the functions, implemented on the controllers mentioned in this thread.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM   #130
New Boot

Any news on the release date of the Manfrotto control and where to buy one?
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:00 PM   #131
Major Player

Still waiting to see if the Manfrotto 521EX is coming out. I will have to buy in the next couple of weeks for a trip to the Arctic on June 30th.

Failing this I think I might just go with the Libec - can anyone using it tell me if it has a speed adjustment wheel like the Bebob?

Does the Varizoom have a speed adjustment wheel also?

Another interesting thing was that Tom from Varizoom said that he HAD made a focus controller for the EX1 - but it was twice the cost. This is interesting as other manufacturers all claim that it can't be done. Any news on this?
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:43 PM   #132
Regular Crew

The Libec has no speed control adjustment. It has the same level of control as the standard zoom rocker switch, but no speed adjustment. The bebob adjustment is a function of the LANC interface I believe.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM   #133
New Boot

Piotr, any updates?

I just did a shoot with the EX1 for the first time yesterday and found out a remote zoom control is absolutely necessary when shooting on a tripod. I previously shot on PD170's and I'm used to panning the tripod arm with my right hand and reaching through the camera handle with my left hand to use the zoom rocker.

Since the EX1's zoom rocker is off-center to the right on an independent handle, it's impossible to reach through the camera's handle with my left hand to make zoom adjustments.=/
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM   #134
Major Player

i am in the same boat.

the bebob zoe-ex with the variable zoom speed is hard to find.
probably the only solution for the meantime is to use the Sony
remote with perhaps the mirror attached in the front as someone here suggested.

paul

Quote:
Piotr, any updates?

I just did a shoot with the EX1 for the first time yesterday and found out a remote zoom control is absolutely necessary when shooting on a tripod. I previously shot on PD170's and I'm used to panning the tripod arm with my right hand and reaching through the camera handle with my left hand to use the zoom rocker.

Since the EX1's zoom rocker is off-center to the right on an independent handle, it's impossible to reach through the camera's handle with my left hand to make zoom adjustments.=/
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #135
New Boot

Varizoom PG-EX Controller

Picked up one of these little babies when they first came out. After a minor factory improvement, it works flawlessly. Love it.

I'm also loving the fact that the EX1 lets you "dial down" the zoom speed for the top handle rocker to something nearly imperceptible...creeping in or out at a setting of 2 or 3 (a setting of 1 doesn't always make the zoom motor reliably start moving on my EX1). (Clarifying, this has nothing to do with the PG-EX controller...)

I haven't seen this slow zoom capability since the old days of the Cinema Products J6 or the Panavision zoom controller, where you could dial down a zoom to over 3 minutes, end to end. Awesome.

Last edited by Bob Berg; June 3rd, 2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: clarification
Bob Berg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds