Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM   #136
Major Player

bob,

you saying this one has a variable zoom speed function?
http://www.amazon.com/VariZoom-VZ-PR...510390&sr=1-34

thanks

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM   #137
Regular Crew

I think he's saying that you can set the zoom speed on the EX1 itself when using the on-handle zoom button.
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #138
Trustee

is it possible to have a very slow starting speed with the Libec model? I had bad experience with the FX1 controller. The start could never be smooth no matter how light a touch i tried.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #139
Trustee

I am interested in the same question. Can you get a "professional" smooth start and start as one would get with any 2/3" lens with any of these these controllers. Still haven't gotten a straight answer.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #140
Inner Circle

I feel uneasy to write about the Manfrotto 521ex as I really can't answer questions about its availability, but my pre-production unit does really smooth stars and stops, and can go from Z00 to Z99 (or vice versa) in almost two minutes (more than a second per zoom display "unit", in the 00-99 scale). Also, the fastest possible zooms for fast re-framing are always readily available under 2 dedicated buttons - regardless of the current speed setting.
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #141
Trustee

Piotr,

Thanks, If the manorotto is good I don't mind waiting.

Can you adjust the speed with the remote or do you need to go into the menus?
I'm not at all interested in whether it can do a 2 min zoom, but rather can you do smooth feathered stops and starts with it set on a reasonably normal speed?
As I've asked before - can it function like a professional remote for a Fuji or a Canon zoom lens.

Lenny levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #142
Inner Circle

Lenny,

I'm afraid I don't quite get your question - are you talking about adjusting zoom speed with the remote (infrared) on the camera itself, or the Manfrotto zoom controller? The latter is of course impossible; the former only allows to access items displayed on the LCD (the functionality of the IR commander being the same as the Direct Menu joystick).

So yes, in any case - in order to change the camera's zoom speed settings (NOT those of a zoom controller), you need to dig into the menu, I'm afraid.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #143
Major Player

This looks like it would be easy to try:

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/showthread.php?t=94890

Scroll down and look at the toslink cable attached to the tripod and aimed at infared pickup sensor on the HV20 camera and the other end of the toslink cable attached to the tripod arm aimed at the camera remote attached where a zoom controller would go.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #144
Major Player

toslink is ingenious

what a creative use of the light cable!

but while that makes focusing remotely possible, the zooming mechanism via the sony remote for the EX1 is not that smooth. in fact, it can jump on you. so, you still need either a varizoom or the bebob zoe-ex for smooth zooming.

that toslink triggered remote will be there for focusing!
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #145
Major Player

Any info on the soon to be released Manfrotto 521-ex? Seems like it might be a cool item, but can't seem to find it listed anywhere.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #146
Regular Crew

To all seeking silky smooth starts and stops and ultra smooth creeping zooms on the EX1: you may need to look elsewhere.

Having bought the Zoe remote I find that the limitation lies in the somewhat coarse servo mechanism in the lens. It's OK for many uses, but not for the subtle pushes and pulls you can get from a real 2/3" lens. It simply will not start and stop with the smooth ramping all of us really want. For me the Zoe actually works better in the middle of its range than at the slowest setting, where the tendency for the lens to jump seems enhanced.

At its slowest (handle zoom speed 1) many EX1's exhibit an unpleasant pulsing effect when pushing in, forcing users to use speed 2 and above. I had this bug bite me recently overseas. Fortunately pulling out was better, allowing a dramatic reveal of a landscape.

I think the answer lies in the EX3 with a serious lens attached that costs at least as much as the camera and probably more.

Of course, YMMV.

Dave McCallister
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #147
Major Player

Revived the old thread.....Still no word on the Manfrotto???? I would like to order that one but have a shoot coming up next month that will require remote zoom and will have to go with one of the others if it does not show up...It has been months now...what is the hold up?? Are the early adapters of the EX1 going to be left behind by 3rd parties as they work on new EX3 accessories...I know most just be able to be used by both but thought I read somewhere the Lens control for the EX3 was more thought out and you can get more control... Maybe I am wrong on that.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #148
Regular Crew

Well no update from me but some info. I have found that the on lens rockers that controll the speed for the most part suck, even on most 2/3" lenses. I have a Fuji lens controller I found when I bought my DV500 years ago and it works really well. I have had to repair it a few times but overall it works really well. I can do really really slow creeps and as fast as the lens will go with the controller. It is huge but worth the effert when I need it. Mine is the 8pin fuji controller handle.

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Cinematography
Robert C. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #149
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net//conf/showthread.php?t=94890

Wow, that was a smart no-budget idea!
Looks like that this guy watched MacGyver very often.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #150
Regular Crew

anybody has the pin layout for the fujinonlens on the
EX1?
Jurgen Taghon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds