DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SxS ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/102988-sxs.html)

Darrell Essex September 6th, 2007 12:36 PM

SxS ?

I see that the camera is going to come with a 8 gig SxS card.
Does anyone know if you will be able to have lets say a 8 gig and a 16 gig in the camera at the same time?

Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Aaron Nanto September 6th, 2007 12:42 PM

I don't have any evidence to back up my claim, but I'm willing to bet that there are no requirements that you must have two of the same size cards for it to work.

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 12:42 PM

Just a guess, but it shouldn't make any difference to have two different card sizes at the same time.

Alvise Tedesco September 6th, 2007 02:15 PM

Anybody from IBC heard ballpark pricing?

Barry Green September 6th, 2007 06:57 PM

Press release here:
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...e=PressRelease

Quote:

The 8GB SBP-8 will be priced around €400 and the 16GB SBP-16 around €700. Both models will be available in November 2007 *3.
At today's exchange rate, that's about $550 for an 8GB card, and $950 for a 16GB card.

Don Bloom September 6th, 2007 08:26 PM

In watching all that's going on with the Ex camera I too am excited about the possiblities. However I have heard something completely different as to the price of the cards. Not $500 except perhaps for the 64gig when and if it comes out. The express cards are relatively cheap in comparison to the P2 cards and the workflow is much less convoluted. Now having said that we ALL could be wrong but why not hold judgement about the camera AND the media until it's really out and has REAL pricing. Then and only then can an intelligent decision be made about it's worth and value to any one person. Perhaps to you it's Sony hype and has no value to many others it might be THE thing they've been looking for. After hauling cameras around for going on 25 years I can only say like many other, I seen everything and heard all of the promises, some were real most were not.
Wait until the product is out and priced before condeming it or the manufacturer.
Don

Stu Holmes September 6th, 2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield (Post 740597)
then there is no advantage of doing the SONY route vs PAnasonic. I knew it was too good to be true, classic SONY. sigh

Again, you can't just take a price in Euro's and do a currency conversion to indicate what it might cost in the USA. Different markets.

I'd guess that the USA prices in US$ will be about half-to-2/3rds of what those figures in previous post indicate. just gotta wait and see, but remember European prices are always high compared to those in USA etc. I reckon streetprice of a 16Gb SxS card might be around US$5-600.

Jason Strongfield September 6th, 2007 08:40 PM

Its already on their press release. What else is there to wait for ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 740603)
In watching all that's going on with the Ex camera I too am excited about the possiblities. However I have heard something completely different as to the price of the cards. Not $500 except perhaps for the 64gig when and if it comes out. The express cards are relatively cheap in comparison to the P2 cards and the workflow is much less convoluted. Now having said that we ALL could be wrong but why not hold judgement about the camera AND the media until it's really out and has REAL pricing. Then and only then can an intelligent decision be made about it's worth and value to any one person. Perhaps to you it's Sony hype and has no value to many others it might be THE thing they've been looking for. After hauling cameras around for going on 25 years I can only say like many other, I seen everything and heard all of the promises, some were real most were not.
Wait until the product is out and priced before condeming it or the manufacturer.
Don

Don Bloom September 6th, 2007 08:52 PM

Well then there are only 2 ways to go.
One is that things change. I've seen lots of press releases that change drastically from intro to release.
The other is don't buy the camera. ;-)
Don

Thomas Smet September 6th, 2007 09:32 PM

How about 3x the amount of video per GB for 1080 video! That means even if the cards cost the same the way Sony does it will always fit more video for the cost of the card. Thats a huge advantage over P2.

Guy Barwood September 6th, 2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 740618)
The other is don't buy the camera. ;-)
Don

The other, is don't buy a Sony branded SxS card. It won't be long before we can confirm if standard ExpressCard flash cards work in the EX1 (non USB ones) as we suspect they will. They may not have the read speed of 800Mbps but as long as they can reliably sustain a write speed of 35Mbps it shouldn't be a problem should it?

Stick with a reputable vendor such as Sandisk (their generic product releases) and Lexar & it should help to pull any excessivly priced Sony prices down through lack of sales. Sony's ones are likely more expensive though not just because of the Sony name, but because of the sustainable read/write performance of the cards.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/02/l...resscard-ssds/
mixed reviews about performance though.

Barry Green September 7th, 2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Barwood (Post 740672)
It won't be long before we can confirm if standard ExpressCard flash cards work in the EX1

Mikko Wilson is at the show now, filing live reports at ibc.mikkowilson.com. He asked the Sony rep if the EX1 would be able to record to any media other than SxS, and they said "no - SxS only". He tried anyway with his own card, and it didn't work.

If you have specific questions, Mikko's got a text message system set up on that site so you can send his cell phone a text message of the question you want asked, and he'll try to get over there and ask it and post the results on his news feed.