Various XDCAM EX posts from 2007 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #16
Contributor

Pairing internal/external mikes

I saw a question about this but couldn't find it by searching the forum.

Unlike the Z1U, the built-in mike channels of the EX1 can be paired with the two external input channels for recording. The Right internal mike can be paired with External input 1 and the Left internal mike can be paired with External input 2.

This is described on page 90 of the EX1 manual.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Forum policy reminder...

Please keep in mind that we refer all "where to buy" questions to our trusted site sponsors EXCLUSIVELY.

I'm not interested in topics concerning pre-orders, pre-order cancellations, availability, lack of availability, "shipment audits" or any sort of rumor regarding whether cameras are shipping or not. They ship when they ship. Such topics serve absolutely NO constructive purpose whatsoever, and I will remove them from public view as fast as they appear.

Our list of dealers is here: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

It is a very short list and it shouldn't take thirty minutes of your time to do your own research by calling them to inquire about availability. If you can't find what you're looking for through our sponsors, then by all means go outside this site by using a search engine such as Google or something similar.

If one or more of our trusted site sponsors wants to announce availability of this camcorder, they will post it here on their own and I'll make it a "sticky" thread so that it appears at the top of the forum index page.

Of course those folks who have already taken delivery are more than welcome to post their first impressions here regardless of where they bought it, but out of fairness to our sponsors I will typically remove references to other dealers.

Meanwhile let's keep these discussions focused on TECHNICAL and CREATIVE issues please...

Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #18
New Boot

Is it possible to jam sync with the EX1?

Dear all,

I am wondering if it is possible to jam sync the EX1 with an external TC - either a sound recording device (such as a sound device 744T) or a slate?

From reading the reviews, it looks like the EX1 does not have TC in/out ports. But can jam sync be done through the SDI port, since TC is present, or any other method?

Thank you.

Yours, MK

---
[www.dvshortfilms.com]
[www.mksiu.com]

Last edited by Michael MK Siu; November 30th, 2007 at 07:15 PM.
Michael MK Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #19
New Boot

60p 720, 80 megabytes per second.......

Is there a way to take 24p out of 60p without turning into slow motion to gain access to the higher bit rate.
Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #20
HDV Cinema

SxS driver -- is it Intel only?

We know the ClipBrowser is Intel only.

And, the FCP XDCAM Import software is PPC and Intel.

Both the ClipBrowser and the FCP Import software make use of the SxS driver.

So is the Mac SxS driver PPC and Intel or only Intel?

Last edited by Steve Mullen; November 30th, 2007 at 05:34 PM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #21
HDV Cinema

PPC editing with FCP

Is anyone editing from SxS cards plugged into a G4 or G5 using FCP 6.0.2 with the FCP plug-in?
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #22
Inner Circle

EX1 and F350 in same NLE Sequence?

I wonder if any of the "pioneers" have mixed 1920x1080 EX1 with 1440x1080 F330/350 video in the same timeline of various NLEs and what where their experiences?

Anybody do this in FCP 6.0.2 or Vegas for example?
Any other NLEs?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:57 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Firestore works with EX1 in SP mode

I decided to test my Firestore FS4 with the EX1 set to SP 1080i mode and FS4 in HD mode, and that worked fine. I wasn't able to play the recorded video back on the EX1 but was able to do so on an FX1.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:58 AM   #24
Regular Crew

3rd Party Express Cards

Has any heard when the firmware update will be available that will allow the use of 3rd party cards?

I figure that I need at least 8 16GB cards to use between the two cameras that I have on order. At the current prices, this would be around $7000

If I were able to use 3rd party cards, then that cost would come down to $1050

For the majority of my shooting, I won't be using the overcranking mode, so that is not an issue. If I need to overcrank, then I will use the supplied Sony card.

Does anyone have contact with Juan Martinez of Sony that can ask this question to him?
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Audio Input Trim

Concerning the audio input on the EX I have a question:

What do you all generally use as a setting in the AUDIO SET > AUDIO INPUT > TRIM CH-1 and TRIM CH-2 ?

Factory setting was -41 dBu but I find this results in a quite low signal.
I use -62 dBu now when attaching an external 48Volt powered condenser microphone (shotgun).

What is your experience with this?

regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #26
Regular Crew

EX-1 and Scanners

I'm curious if anyone has taken the EX through airport security ... I assume there won't be any issues caused by the scanners but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

I've had my EX for a couple of days now and unfortunately have had little time to play with it - but the little I've seen has looked excellent. I wish I'd bought two of them...

Thanks in advance,
John
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #27
Regular Crew

sony software

Can someone post how to import and convert ex1 clips ( for FCP ) on a mac using the sony software? I've tried using the manual but I just don't get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Aldo
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Underwater enclosure for EX1

I think Gates is working on one, probably will be pricey.

Anyone else use UW enclosures, and if so for what camera?
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #29
Major Player

Battery

You all might want to contact Greg @ Abel CineTech 212 462.0143
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Extra fine EVF

Hello owners of the ex1. Ist the wievfinder in the camera a extrafine wievfinder or not?
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds