Various XDCAM EX posts from 2007 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #31
Major Player

1080 vs 720 (delivering to web, dvd, tv)

Hi,

I will be shooting a lot of music videos next year and using a lot of 60fps. I was wondering is there advantage in latitude or colors when shooting 1080 over 720. I will deliver to web, dvd and/or tv so I dont need the full resolution for these jobs but I do want the full latitude, colors and film look.

While Im waiting for my EX1 and compulsively reading every thread in every forum... :D

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #32
Trustee

EX1 barrel distortion at full wide

How would you rate your EX1 at full wide for barrel distortion?

I'm curious, mine seems to be a bit higher than expected.

Please post a frame grab at full wide that will show the distortion. I will do the same.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM   #33
Major Player

PAL formats not 1920x1080 on HD-SDI with my monitor

Hi,

I think this is not related to the EX1, but I just would like to have a feedback from you.
I just got the camera and plugged it to the HD-Link then to my Samsung 244T monitor (24" full HD)

If I'm in "NTSC" formats 1080i or P (60Hz), the screen is set to 1920x1080.
But if I switch to PAL formats (50Hz)(I live in France), the display menu only say 1600x1080 at 62Hz.
I checked the settings in the HD-link, and it seems the HDlink do a 5:2 multiplication on the frequency, going from 50Hz to 62.

My monitor's manual say it can goes up to 1920x1200 at 59.950 Hz.

The question is, do I see a 1600 width image enlarged to 1920 or do I see a 1920 image whatever the display's menu tell me ?
the fact is I can't see any quality difference between NTSC or PAL settings :)

Thanks.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Maximum Latitude W/ Low Noise?

The one thing I loved about RED and its RAW codec was to add the contrast after you shoot. Would anyone recommend settings that would MAXIMIZE the latitude of the Sony with minimum noise, and then in post, dial in the look?

What settings would that be?

Also - is it best to shoot with the lowest DB for the best picture?

(Again assuming you want the best picture over content... no noise in blacks rather than detail with noise like a news channel would want to get the story.) I rather loose the detail and know its time to quite shooting after sunset than be shooting noisy footage. Thanks.

I tried the Cine setting after sunset - noisy as heck. I'd rather just add that look in post.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #35
New Boot

Funny Iris Behavior

Okay, I'm ashamed to admit it but my EX1 and tripod fell off a dolly and landed on some ground. No damage per se except a slightly stickier iris (not a big deal).

But one thing I did notice that was a bit unusual.

When in a 60i format (or 60p) the motor running the auto iris is perfectly smooth - but throw it into 24p and the motor studders as if the motor is running in 24p.

Not a problem in the field, just an interesting observation.
John Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #36
New Boot

Intervalometer Question

I recorded a sunset in 1080 30p 1 frame per sec. I notice that you can capture more than one fram at a time. What is the purpose of this? If you set it for 1 sec and 3 frames, does it take a frame every 1/3 sec or every sec does it take 3 frames in a row? What is the purpose of this? A frame every 1/3 sec makes sense, but what would be the purpose of waiting 27/30 of a sec, getting three frames and then waiting 27/30 of a sec and doing it again?

Mark Miner
Mark Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #37
Regular Crew

presets

users can save their camera preset files as backups or to share/copy to another camera for multicam shoots using the store camera data to you SxS card. These can be copied to another backup source < like when you do a card format >

Maybe a sticky for custom tweaked user presets could be set up for these?

They are small files.
Would be cool if we could save multiple versions on a card and load into presets at will, but we can currently only load 1 default version at a time on a card.
<Possible to overwrite the file on a card for multi setup files>
The file is buried 5 folders deep and called SETUP.SUF
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds