DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Lens Info: DOF Gauge in EVF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/103922-lens-info-dof-gauge-evf.html)

Chris Hurd September 19th, 2007 03:47 PM

Lens Info: DOF Gauge in EVF

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of snapshots which demonstrate how the Depth of Field gauge works in the EX1's viewfinder. It's selected as a menu item under Lens Info. Unlike some other display items, it's not sent over the outputs but appears only in the viewfinder and the flip-out LCD display. The gauge is dynamic and changes in real time as you make lens adjustments which affect depth of focus, such as focal length, exposure, distance to subject etc. The distance readout can be meters or feet. In my opinion it's a pretty handy feature to have. Click attached thumbnails to see these images large.

Greg Boston September 19th, 2007 03:57 PM

Of interest is how accurate the colors on the LCD appear vs. the real world through the lens of Chris' camera. It's like the LCD is a magnifying glass instead of a vf.

I'm referring to the lower left picture, BTW.

-gb-

Chris Hurd September 19th, 2007 04:09 PM

Top two shots show some glare by the way... the room lights bouncing off the LCD panel. I've been in that room before and it's difficult to shoot in there (Michael W. and Boyd can back me up on that). These are just quick and dirty snapshots from my Elph, a PowerShot SD800 IS.

Piotr Wozniacki September 19th, 2007 08:24 PM

Chris, did you find the LCD really outstanding in resolution, when compared to what we know from the Z1/V1?

Chris Hurd September 19th, 2007 10:10 PM

Yes I did find the LCD really outstanding in resolution, however I don't have enough direct experience with either the Z1 or the V1 to make an accurate comparison.

John Hewat September 20th, 2007 12:39 AM

I think I understand how it works, but how can the depth of field be different in each of those pictures if the aperture is the same at 5.6?

Piotr Wozniacki September 20th, 2007 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat (Post 747117)
I think I understand how it works, but how can the depth of field be different in each of those pictures if the aperture is the same at 5.6?

I was asking myself the same question, but then noticed it was zoomed differently (Z00 vs Z60).

Paul Dhadialla September 20th, 2007 02:42 AM

Chris, I noted you are inside and the camera is at -3DB gain and set at 5.6

The picture seems fairly bright on the LCD

Would you say that the camera is more sensitive than say a Z1 - generally

Thanks kindly
Paul

Peter Jefferson September 20th, 2007 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 747066)
Yes I did find the LCD really outstanding in resolution, however I don't have enough direct experience with either the Z1 or the V1 to make an accurate comparison.

I dont think you need to mate.. considering the pixel count of the panel itself, and the actual impact this camera will make wihtint he market as a whole, i dont think keeping the LCD comparisons in the "sony only" realm to be very fruitful.. in any case, i think the panel will be compared to every other panel out there.. from every other maker..

Alister Chapman September 20th, 2007 11:00 AM

When I used the EX1 I found the LCD to be very sharp with excellent colour reproduction. At viewing distances of 3ft/1m it was difficult to see the additional sharpness over a Z1 LCD. However when you got really close you could see that it is sharper. When you use the image zoom function for focus assist (which works while recording!) you get a 1 for 1 pixel for pixel mapping so you are seeing the full resolution of the recorded image. The EX is quite a bit more sensitive than a Z1, maybe 1.5 to 2 stops.

Paul Dhadialla September 20th, 2007 06:07 PM

Hi Alister ! wow 1.5 to 2 stops - that is amazing.
Given that the noise is comparable at the same settings - this is definately good news.

I'd be putting this to use under various low light situations (including weddings) so that is definately a plus.

Thanks
Paul

Boyd Ostroff September 20th, 2007 06:13 PM

The interesting thing is... if you're right about the "speed" of the EX then it would be neck and neck with the PD and VX series (based on my personal experience with a VX2000 and Z1). If so then that would answer one of the most common arguments against making the switch to HD.