DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Will the sub-$8K price.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/104184-will-sub-8k-price.html)

Paul Ramsbottom September 23rd, 2007 01:10 AM

Will the sub-$8K price....

.... include a couple of 8GB cards, as some have speculated?

Thoughts anyone?

If it doesn't, then I'm probably going for a HXV200!

I need a new camera in a hurry for a project starting on Nov 16th but there's no way I'm paying $7,499 - $7,999 for the EX + $1,800 (2 x 16GB SxS cards) + tax and shipping.

+ a need a mattebox, s/shade and follow-focus. I saw the pics from London with a Chrosziel rig but that's pushing the total cost to circa $15K. I'm sure Cavision will have somethign that will fit but I've got to get get everything ready in a hurry.

Anyone care to speculate whether DCI will approve the PMW-EX1. I know they don't like the HVX.

Paul Renting September 23rd, 2007 02:44 AM

In The Netherlands, the EX is on pre-order for euro 5495 excl. vat. Included are 2x 8 GB (SBP-8) cards and 2 year prime support.

David Heath September 23rd, 2007 03:13 AM

I don't know your location, Paul, but if it's the UK, at least one major Sony pro dealer is currently advertising it for £3,995 (£4,694.13 inc. VAT) on their website, including 2x8GB cards. They expect orders placed now to ship 1Nov.

Mike Williams September 23rd, 2007 08:21 PM

Ballpark US?

How does that breakdown in $ ?

Mike

Mike Williams September 23rd, 2007 08:27 PM

3999 "l" = 5700$

Nevermind

$8300 +/-

MRW

Steven Thomas September 23rd, 2007 08:37 PM

Based on that price for 5495 euro x 1.4 = $7,693 USD

Craig Seeman September 23rd, 2007 08:51 PM

B&H in NYC had it listed on their website briefly as $7499 and then pulled the price and replaced it with TBA. While the above price would make sense it's interesting that they pulled that price.

Jiri Bakala September 23rd, 2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 748971)
... it's interesting that they pulled that price.

The USD has taken a nose-dive last week and so the suppliers are forced to re-evaluate their pricing. Unless the dollar stabilizes and goes back up a bit, chances are that the US prices will go up. That has been confirmed to me by a Canadian Sony dealer.

Mike Williams September 23rd, 2007 10:12 PM

Still

I saw the site that had the EX for the 3999 price and it said 8300 US

That is where I got the number.

I check on the currency exchange site but my ignorance with currency symbols got me confused. :) I take it the funny "L" is euros?

I will still need two 16GB cards to make a key buying decision valid.

Mike

Barry Green September 23rd, 2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

I take it the funny "L" is euros?
The funny "L" is Great Britain Pounds.

The funny "E" is Euros.

Jiri Bakala September 23rd, 2007 11:17 PM

...and the funny "S" is dollars :-)

David Heath September 24th, 2007 03:48 AM

For the benefit of non-UK people on the board, in the UK sales tax on purchases is VAT ("Value Added Tax") and is normally 17.5%. If you are VAT registered (turnover above a certain level) you HAVE to add this to all your invoices, BUT are able to reclaim it from purchases. (Is there a similar system in the US?) So if you are mostly selling to other businesses, being VAT registered is an advantage, if selling to the public, a disadvantage.

It's why making price comparisons can be so confusing, making sure you're comparing like with like, tax wise.

FWIW, the dollar equivalents today to that store price are US$8090 (ex VAT) and US$9500 (inc VAT). (Though in the past such goods have always been much cheaper in the US than the UK.)

Evan Donn September 24th, 2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 749075)
(Is there a similar system in the US?)

No, we have a sales tax which is managed at the state and city level, so it varies quite a bit depending on where you live - in San Francisco ours is 8.5%, (which I believe is about as high as it gets anywhere), while some states have no sales tax.

That said it's pretty easy not to pay sales tax - companies are only required to charge tax for sales within their own state, so if you order from an online retailer in another state you won't be charged. Additionally, in California you can get an exemption for part of the sales tax (I think it's still 5%) on video/film production equipment as an incentive to promote production within the state (I believe some other states have similar policies too).

Brian Rhodes September 24th, 2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Donn (Post 749379)
No, we have a sales tax which is managed at the state and city level, so it varies quite a bit depending on where you live - in San Francisco ours is 8.5%, (which I believe is about as high as it gets anywhere), while some states have no sales tax.

That said it's pretty easy not to pay sales tax - companies are only required to charge tax for sales within their own state, so if you order from an online retailer in another state you won't be charged. Additionally, in California you can get an exemption for part of the sales tax (I think it's still 5%) on video/film production equipment as an incentive to promote production within the state (I believe some other states have similar policies too).

TEXAS has a Tax Exemption to promote video/film production within the state. I found this out from Scott at Texas Tape Works

http://www.governor.state.tx.us/divi...s/salestax.htm