XDCAM EX answers... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Your welcome guys! Filter threads are 77mm Daniel.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
I didn’t like the White Balance, Assign 4 and Shutter lever under the lens to the front of the camcorder. They are just too small and difficult to ‘feel’ your way to during use. You have to flip the camcorder up to actually see what you are about to press.
Well, it's not like you would be using the WB or Shutter controls 'on-the-fly' all that much. I don't really see this as much of an issue. Not to mention that over time one would get used to the placement of the controls and their feel anyway. As long as the overall built of the camera is solid, we have a great piece of equipment here.
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #18
Major Player

The display was about a metre wide (but could have been bigger). In fact the screen they used for projection wasn't that much bigger, but better positioned. Like these recalled impressions, seeing different content from different cameras displayed at different times on different devices isn't a reliable basis for judgement of comparative image quality. However the EX really surprised me with the quality of the images, and I haven't seen that matched in the under $10K bracket. But every camera can look good when used well, and each when released has been a step up, but since entry to HDV this is the one that makes me think "the time has come to upgrade". Larger sensors (rather than smaller - I didn't care for dropping back down to 0.25" cmos), a real lens (mechanical focus and iris rings, zoom is probably servo, but control good), extensive processing options, great help for getting sharp focus and good exposure, good low light capability.
On the other hand, fixed lens, not weather proof (is there any camera under 10K that is) and you don't have tapes to store away. Is this one worth the extra cost over something already in the market? I think so if the extra cost gives you something you really need. But you can shoot great images with the FX1 (with care). Will clients value the difference between you and cheaper competitors? Probably not, in most cases. Will having this one improve your effectiveness and production throughput? That is the question!
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #19
Major Player

The real question is: will the camera and its workflow make your life better?
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Tiny buttons...

I guess cell phones are getting worse. No pro-big button grand ma cell phones?
Sorry, but small cameras should have smaller buttons. I am very glad to have a full size pro zoom... like most... but it is a balance. SPORTS CARS are not SUVS.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks Serena.

I'm looking forward to the improved image quality.
The better image quality will hold up better through post and the end results
will look better.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
Download speed from the cards is 2.5Gb/s, so you can work out download/shooting time fairly readily.
I understood 2.5Gbs to be the speed of the bus, the cards being rated at a max 800Mbs?

Even then, I don't think you can give a simple one off answer for download speed, since I'd expect it to depend far more on the equipment being downloaded to etc than the cards themselves. 800Mbs would correspond to roughly 24x real time for 35Mbs material as a theoretical maximum.

In another thread Alaistair Chapman reports 4-5 minutes for an hours worth of material, so 12x-15x (400-500Mbs) is what he was getting in practice. But a lower specced laptop is likely to be slower.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
77mm??? Is that the same as the Z1U or the HVX 200??
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #24
Trustee

I believe the Z1 is 72mm, I'm not sure about the HVX200.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #25
Major Player

Until now most camcorders in the semi-pro arena use 72mm, while the pro broadcast lenses usually have an 82mm filter thread...

It's interesting that Sony have gone for 77mm... if I were them I might have been tempted to pad a little and take the thread up to 82mm... I don't really think there are any 77mm video filters available at the moment.

Does anyone make a step up ring from 77mm to 82mm?
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
Just an observation: (Ha...Alex beat me to the punch by 3 minutes!!!)

I'm not an expert in lense adaptors, but it seems to me that 77mm is not a standard/universal thread size. It seems to me everything has been 72mm, 82mm, or 58mm. I didn't see step down or step up adaptor rings in that size from Letus, Brevis, or Red Rock Micro. Even most screw in filters for cameras are 72mm. I'm sure the adaptor manufacturers will come up with a step up ring 72mm to 77mm.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Cheers.
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #27
New Boot

STEP UP RING 72-77 mm

Check ut B&H, there is one 77mm-82 mm that will work for you.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...p_up_Ring.html

----------------------------
www.carldieker.com

Last edited by Carl Dieker; October 10th, 2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: 77mm-82mm
Carl Dieker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
Just an observation: (Ha...Alex beat me to the punch by 3 minutes!!!)
Hee! Hee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
I'm sure the adaptor manufacturers will come up with a step up ring 72mm to 77mm.
I guess the crux is going to be whether we get any vignetting with a 72mm "device" on a lens with a 77mm front element.

I have a teleprompter hood that attaches to the outside of an 82mm broadcast lens OR (via a special adaptor) screws into a 72mm lens. I doubt it will fit on the outside of a 77mm lens so I'm reeeally hoping that I can get away with a 72 to 77mm adaptor (to adapt the adaptor...)
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
Until now most camcorders in the semi-pro arena use 72mm, while the pro broadcast lenses usually have an 82mm filter thread...

It's interesting that Sony have gone for 77mm... if I were them I might have been tempted to pad a little and take the thread up to 82mm... I don't really think there are any 77mm video filters available at the moment.

Does anyone make a step up ring from 77mm to 82mm?
If you have a look at this page of the B&H website you'll find more than 35 filters size 77mm:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&at=Size_77mm
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
If you have a look at this page of the B&H website you'll find more than 35 filters size 77mm:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&at=Size_77mm
Certainly EX users will have plenty of UV filters to choose from... ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds