XDCAM EX answers... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Transfer to XDCAM disks requires the use of the MXF conversion routine that will be included in the new Sony clip browser software. At the moment this only works for SP mode as XDCAM HD only supports 1440x1080. I expect this will get updated in the future. The MP4 to MXF conversion simply re-wraps the MPEG content into an MXF wrapper so happens on the fly. You can copy/convert straight from an SxS card direct to a XDCAM HD disk (using the transfer tool) at between 2x and 3x depending on the xdcam deck used.

Archiving to Blu-ray is a lower cost option and you can keep the full 1920x1080 resolution. Simply burn the root folder from the SxS card to the blu-ray disk and you will retain all the meta data and correct file structure.

For handing off rushes to clients I would recommend USB hard drives until such time as Blu-ray drives become common place. If you stick the Sony Browser Software on the disk as well the client can use that to view (full screen) and log the footage.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Some rough math. 800 Mega BITS a second is about 100 Mega BYTES second (actually 95.367 according to conversion chart below).
Officially it's exactly 100 Megabytes now using the modern base-10 definition, which equals 95.367 "Mebibytes". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte. However, the Windows file manager still uses the base 2 definitions.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #48
Major Player

Transferring files to an iPod

I'm not sure whether this should go under this thread and whether this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Is it possible to transfer video clips from the EX1 to a fifth generation iPod without a pc? I got this idea from this site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301059

And I also found this needed item since the EX1 has a firewire and not a USB connector:

http://www.eforcity.com/220567.html?...t071015=220567

Theoretically with this connector + an iPod + the EX will lead to file transfer on the field. Or am I missing something? Any feedback on this?

Also there still remains the issue of transferring speed which has to be seen whether it is worth it.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #49
New Boot

Yes, I think is technically possible use the iPod as a small field storage. You can use the ipod with the Sony USB reader/writer instead the adapter. This reader will come as XDCAM EX accessorie.
Octavio Gasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #50
Major Player

That's very interesting... I assumed that there would be no way of offloading without a laptop in the field...

But that would be incredibly cool. Let's hope that the Sony Card Reader uses one of the protocols supported by the iPod...
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #51
Major Player

Apparently it needs to be PTP protocol otherwise the iPod will only import what it finds in the DCIM folder on the media card...

I'm guessing that the PMW-EX1 does not store clips to a "DCIM" folder...

Lets hope the card-reader supports PTP...
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post

And I also found this needed item since the EX1 has a firewire and not a USB connector:

The EX1 has USB, firewire (HDV), HD-SDI, SD-SDI as well as the usual analogue outputs.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #53
New Boot

The actual manual don't say anything about the USB protocol, but gives a hope:
"With the PMW-EX1 camcorder, recordings are made as data
files in the “MP4” format,which is widely used in a number of
recent electronic portable devices and has been
standardized by ISO.
The file-based recording allows material to be handled with
great flexibility in a commonly available IT-based
environment for copying, transferring, sharing, and archiving.
All these operations are accomplished lossless without any
“re-digitizing” process required."
Octavio Gasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
For handing off rushes to clients I would recommend USB hard drives until such time as Blu-ray drives become common place. If you stick the Sony Browser Software on the disk as well the client can use that to view (full screen) and log the footage.
Sounds good but does this viewer software need to be installed natively into an OS to run ? I dont believe clients will be enthused about installing new software on any of their machines whether laptop/ desktop or workstation, to log and view footage.
Stil Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #55
Major Player

I think most clients wouldn't object to installing a simple viewer. The issue really is how to hand the material over to clients at the end of the shoot (as in - the client is posting it and the camera operator is no longer involved at all).
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #56
Inner Circle

For those concerned about client playback keep the following in mind.
With miniDV a client was able to playback the tape with a consumer camera.
HDV on the other hand, is a major headache since there is no single deck and certainly no consumer camera that can play back every format from every HDV camera.

With EX1's .mp4 files the client may now download a simple free player (so we hope).

Yes what one hands to a client after a shoot is an issue. Portable 80GB USB drives can be found for under $100. 40GB are under $50.

While this is more expensive than DV or HDV tape it may not be too unreasonable.

Although we're comparing to DV and HDV because that may be where our client base in coming from, compare the same costs to DVCProHD tapes XDCAM discs or maybe even HDCAM tapes and the costs vs quality and ease of client playback of the file, make this format very attractive.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #57
Major Player

In addition to handing the client a USB drive, if they need to see rushes you could hand them a tape.

HDCAM through HDSDI out, Betacam SP through component analog, DV tape through iLink or dare I say it, a VHS from the composite out. It's a good thing Sony included all of these outputs.
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
DV tape through iLink...
Really? It downconverts to DV via FW? That would be great!
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala View Post
Really? It downconverts to DV via FW? That would be great!
No, it does not - HDV only.
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #60
Regular Crew

35mm Adapter

Thanks for all the infos in this thread..

There is an option for a flip 35mm Adapter on the EX. It's called EXTREME :-) and comes from Letus www.adapterplace.com

I will get 2 of those brand new adapters this week I hope or maybe next and will keep this forum updated about it. I will "only" be able to test it on my HVX200 and a F330 from a friend of mine. But the first scenes I saw look very very promising. The coolest thing is it cost only 1500$.

Peter
Peter Arnold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds