EX and accessories - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #16
Inner Circle

light for the EX1

Sorry guys, you're discussing some high-end stuff here and here I am again with another basic one (after the microphone): an on-camra light.

Of course the choice of solutions is huge out there, but what do you think of the PAG systems? A Paglight M can accomodate a 35W halogen, or 100W-equivalent PowerARC bulb in the future...I can see the batteries come with several voltages flavours - 12, 13.2 or 14.4V - so, if I wanted to power both a light and the camera from a PAGbelt for instance, which voltage should I choose?

Or do you suggest other, more obvious solutions?
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Sorry guys, you're discussing some high-end stuff here and here I am again with another basic one (after the microphone): an on-camra light.
Don't be sorry Piotr, be glad that Sony is stepping up with a camera that has such a wide range of potential applications. That means you can use the camera for whatever you are using it for, and then later you have the flexibility to shoot a film style production on the same base platform.

I don't think I've ever had occasion to use an on camera light, so you can see how different potential users productions might be.

In the meantime we both learn from the discussion- and that makes us better at our jobs!
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #18
Inner Circle

OK, so - after the microphone and a light - here I go with yet another basic accessory inquiry: a monopod. Yeah, I know this should probably go to another forum, but read on - this *IS* EX1-specific!

I'd appreciate someone's opinion on which Manfrotto monopod to choose:

- the MN 561B (heavy, but with tilting head and arm)
- the MN 562B (not so heavy, but without tilting head)

Both have panning "head" at the base.

If I could use my 501Pro LANC with the EX1, I'd certaily go with the 561B; I could fix the controller on the handle and use it almost like a tripod. However, the LANC is most probably out of question and one needs to hold the camera by the hand-grip most of the time, using the left hand for operating the lens rings and all the buttons. Therefore, I wonder if because of this, the 562B is more optimal for the EX1?

I never used a monopod before, so will really apreciate your advice on how practical tilting is. I imagine that in order to tilt down or up with a monopode w/o a tilting head, one needs to move the whole monopod forth and back to tilt it around its base pivot; the needed movement distance being quite considerable for even slightest lens tilting angle - is it convenient enough, or should I go with the heavier 561B version that does have a tilting head - even though it's heavier?

The whole matter may sound trivial, but add to it the EX1's hand-grip rotation capability and you have quite a decision problem to solve!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 13th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #19
Major Player

Further to Piotr's remark about LANC controllers:

Could we gather here any information about those controllers that will work with the EX1 (via an adapter if necessary), given that the EX1 has anything BUT a standard LANC socket?
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #20
Inner Circle

The very odd response I got from the Sony rep at HD World Expo in NYC was that they don't know yet what will work with their connector.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #21
Inner Circle

At IBC, the camera was apparently shown with the Libec ZC-9 Pro 8-pin Fujinon lens controller - but nobody seems to know about the adaptor, plugged in between the Libec and the EX's proprietary socket.

Manfrotto has also introduced an 8-pin Fujinon controller (524FN), and a 8-12 pin adaptor, but the EX'1 socket is not 12 pin or the standard Fujinon 8-pin!

Well, I should get some news from Manfrotto soon; I'l keep you posted.

EDIT BTW, what does the Angenieux 8-pin socket look like? Have been trying to google for it, but haven't found any pictures...

PS Please disregard - Chris has enlightened me in the other thread that the EX1's socket is NOT the Angenieux type, either.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 13th, 2007 at 02:26 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #22
Major Player

Programable

I wonder if the extravagant lens controller plug is for a more complex "programable" device that can be preprogramed to rack and zoom etc.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Mike, that's the exact same question (in almost the exact same words) that I asked Sony at their U.S. press event held for this camera last month in New York; the answer was simply a smile telling me that we'd have to wait and see.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hmmm, maybe I'll stop digging around for a follow-focus.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #25
Major Player

:)

Wait n see ........ hmmm. It would be rather cool to have a new set of gadgets that could all run "in series" like the light that comes on when you hit the start button, a wireless timecode sync thingy for two cam shoots, all sorts of cool stuff.

How about a little more to look forward to?

Mike
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #26
Major Player

Keep dreaming, Mike.... on the other hand, perhaps they learned that they shouldn't take their customers for granted. After Panasonic and JVC made some serious gains in the lower end HD/HDV market, Sony is offering a bit more than they have in a while. Quite a bit more, actually!

I wish Avid learned from their example...
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I have posted questions about 3 rather basic accessory dilemmas in this thread; would appreciate it very much if someone cared to address them with some advise :) TIA
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Accessories . . .

For years I used the Sennheiser ME66 short shotgun with my PD-150, which has the same mic mount as the V1 (and maybe the Z1?). Just wrap a couple of rubber bands around the appropriate end and it will fit in the mount just fine, without the residue of gaffer's tape.

I owned a V1 briefly (the low light performance was unacceptable for what I do), but the Sennheiser worked great, far better than the included mic. Almost too good, as I wouldn't mind a bit more ambient sound sometimes.

I also switched to using the Sony HVL-LBP on-cam LED light, after years of using a dimmable Frezzi with soft box and battery belt. Love the new light, the ability to use batteries I've already got, and no more lower back pain. I keep it on all the time now and use it for fill outdoors when I never would have in the past.

And I'm always mounted on a monopod (Bogen/Manfrotto 681B, to be exact), or the "poor man's Steadicam," as I call it. With no head, just mounted on a quick release plate for easy on/off. I found the ability to pan/tilt on a monopod more trouble than it was worth, and have become adept at all the usual moves without. It's great for crane shots, too.

HVX200 - sold. Low light was an issue, and the LCD not good enough.
V1U - I wanted to love that camera, so close in design to my beloved PD150 as it is, but after one night shoot with limited light -- sold.
The XDCam EX? Hoping the third time is the charm.
Michael Rehfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #29
Major Player

Gosh Michael,

Your history reads a lot like mine, except I use the consumer versions of your cameras with attached audio mixers to save me money.

Have used monopods with quick releases since I started 12 years ago, and dislike my FX 7 for it's low light. Now use an FX 1 (much better camera) while I wait for the EX.

Cheers Vaughan

www.vwvideo.com.au
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #30
Contributor

BTW I went to the EX demo today - the reason that only SP mode can go to a hard disk is that is all the F/W connection will output: HDV @ 25Mb/s. It is not used for FAM mode - they have a USB port for that.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds