DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX and accessories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/105382-ex-accessories.html)

Paul Ramsbottom October 10th, 2007 02:22 PM

EX and accessories

Saw some pictures of the EX at the NYC event with a Mattebox and FF attached, think it was Chrosziel if my memory serves me well.

Anyone have any thoughts about alternative makes (I'm more interested in FF rigs than MBs right now but would like to buy everything together. I've seen a couple of of those in other reviews and Cavision just posted a yet-to-be shipped clamp-on model).

The Chrosziel gear is nice of course but painful on the wallet.

BTW, can anyone here who used the camera tell me something about the auto-focussing (and I am certain I know the answer to this borderline-foolish question but I'd like to be sure). In auto-focus mode, does the focus ring actually remain stationary like it would on a regular servo lens?

That's true for every camera I owned but as this lens has fixed stops in manual mode, I was just curious.

Reason-is, I'd like to have the camera permanently set-up with a FF but still have the option to pull it off the tripod and do the occasional run and gun action shot in auto-focus mode (I do a lot of travelogue filming, with many of my shots carefully set-up but every once and a while something spontaneous happens close by, which I want to grab and I find myself running down a street or through a market to capture it).

Depending on how easy it is to disengage/re-engage the FF cog, remembering to do so in the heat of the moment etc. I wouldn't want the auto focus mechanism driving the FF, no matter how light the torque was. AFAIK, the amount of 'travel from manual to auto mode is only a few MMs, so it probably won't let you 'push' it forward and off the FF cog.

Probably a silly question but heck, you've gotta ask.

Also, seen some commenatry on a Sony wide angle adapter that the camera will dod CAC for, anyone have any more info or pricing on this? Presumably this correction is callibrated just for the Sony glass?

TIA

Brian Cassar October 11th, 2007 12:13 AM

Have a look at page 1 of this pdf doc:

http://tvbeurope.com/pdfs/TVBE_downl...P53-73_IBC.pdf

Hawk-Woods have come out with an interesting product. We can now continue using all our 12V PAG and AB lights, powered by the relative light weight Sony NPF compatible batteries. Very useful for low light filming on the run (without any tripod). The only minus point in this product is the fact that it cannot take the new 12v batteries of the EX. It would be nicer if we had to buy only one type of battery and use them either way. ...maybe someone knows any of these Hawk-Woods guys and can pass on this request...?

Alexander Ibrahim October 12th, 2007 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Cassar (Post 757280)
Have a look at page 1 of this pdf doc:

http://tvbeurope.com/pdfs/TVBE_downl...P53-73_IBC.pdf

Hawk-Woods have come out with an interesting product. We can now continue using all our 12V PAG and AB lights, powered by the relative light weight Sony NPF compatible batteries. Very useful for low light filming on the run (without any tripod). The only minus point in this product is the fact that it cannot take the new 12v batteries of the EX. It would be nicer if we had to buy only one type of battery and use them either way. ...maybe someone knows any of these Hawk-Woods guys and can pass on this request...?

That seems interesting enough, but... what's it got to do with follow focus, matte boxes and whether or not the focus ring moves when in AF mode?

Brian Cassar October 12th, 2007 03:52 AM

Nothing really - I've just put this link to this accessory since this thread is dedicated to the EX and accessories. I just wanted to share this seemingly interesting accessory with you all.

Martin Mayer October 12th, 2007 04:39 AM

In view of the (current) high cost of solid state media, does anyone know anything, or heard any whispers, about a hard-drive add-on (such as Firestore, or Sony's own, etc.) for the EX1?

David Heath October 12th, 2007 04:46 AM

According to this thread - http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=105283 - you may be in luck.

"20. Can the EX1 record to DR60 (in SP mode, of course) without any SxS card inserted (or with them both 100% full)?

Good news here – the EX can both communicate with and record to the DR60 (in SP mode only) without any SxS cards inserted. And can record when both SxS cards are full, or as a backup whilst they’re recorded to."

Alternatively there's the XDR from Convergent Design. Still solid state, but (in 35/50Mbs mode) can use medium spec (and much cheaper than SxS) Compact Flash. (And much faster boot up time than hard drive based devices.)

Martin Mayer October 12th, 2007 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 757863)
the EX can both communicate with and record to the DR60 (in SP mode only)

"SP Mode only" - shame - rather a waste: not really good enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 757863)
Alternatively there's the XDR from Convergent Design. Still solid state, but (in 35/50Mbs mode) can use medium spec (and much cheaper than SxS) Compact Flash. (And much faster boot up time than hard drive based devices.)

Much more interesting - thanks! I must follow that up.

David Heath October 12th, 2007 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Mayer (Post 757866)
Much more interesting - thanks! I must follow that up.

A lot of discussion and manufacturer feedback at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102312

and a spec pdf at http://www.convergent-design.com/dow...lash%20XDR.pdf

The long GOP MPEG streams (100Mbs, as well as 50 and 35) can be written to fairly cheap CF cards like Extreme III, the 160Mbs I-frame only rate requires higher spec like Extreme IV. Stll a lot cheaper per GB than P2 or SxS though.

Piotr Wozniacki October 12th, 2007 08:01 AM

Speaking of accessories: one essential and obvious accessory to order along the EX1 (apart from large battery and other basics) is a shotgun microphone. One of the renowned European online stores suggests the short ECM-673 shotgun. I know nothing about the quality of Sony shotguns, except that the one that came with my V1 has been rather poor (well, at least not sensitive enough).

Do you think the ECM-673 is an appropriate choice for the EX1? Or - to stay within the same price range - would the Rode NTG1 be better (it's a bit longer and thinner, and one would need to device some rubber sleeve for it to fit the holder; the ECM-673 seems to be better fit to mount straight from the box).

Mike Williams October 12th, 2007 08:43 AM

Rode Mic

I bought a Rode NTG2 for my Z1 and all I can say it was a PIA to not be able to use the onboard Sony "shock mount" for the mic. Not only was the mic too small ( or hole to big), as you mentioned about the adapter, but even after trying that route it still picked up the motor noise EASILY.

I tried the shock mount that the Rode came with but that took up the shoe mount and made the cam really unbalanced. I was hoping on hope that we would be able to mount a mic right on the cam and not have motor noise on the EX but there may be noise from the internal fans.

Sony will need to make a mic that kills that noise somehow. I never bought the Sony shotgun so I don't know if this was an issue with that mic.

Craig Seeman October 12th, 2007 08:53 AM

I spoke to Sony about this very issue (mic/camera noise) at HD World Expo in NYC. The internal fan is quiet but keep in mind the other noises (zoom for example) make noise. They said like any other situation, the best way to mic is near the subject (lav, boom). Of course they said the Sony shotgun (ECM-673) is fine for on camera use with the above caveat.

Craig Irving October 12th, 2007 09:14 AM

I've always considered getting an ECM-674 or ECM-678 though I can never find reviews online. People always go for the Rode or the AT, or the Sennheiser. But I like the idea of this fitting nicely into my V1U mic-mount.

I've tried using an NT3 with a Rode SM3 shock-mount but it's a nuissance for run and gun.

Mike Williams October 12th, 2007 10:51 AM

I agree

I agree that the shock mount is a nuisance for run and gun.

I bought a fuzzy wind screen for the Z1 onboard mic and have been using that more and more. Obviously I get much closer to the subject but the convenience factor is HUGE. Maybe a switch on the EX can narrow the pic up pattern :) That would be nice :) hehe ala Steve Jobs.. one more thing..

I'm happy with the Sony UWP lav systems. I find the handheld mic too directional and if people don't point it right at thier voice it is way worse than the onboard mic.

"OK now please point the mic at your voice....." and then they start flailing thier arms thanking all the people who could make it.... :) lovely.

Ranting, sorry.

I want to see what the wide angle lens looks like and if it weighs a TON.

Mike

Gareth Watkins October 12th, 2007 11:19 AM

Hi there
I've not found the diametre of the mic an issue with the Z1...(I used an AT897 as the mounted mic) you just bind some gaffer tape around it until it's as thick as a Sony mic... works fine.

That said it these mounts aren't the best and some handling and zoom noise is inevitable, but I've not found it unacceptable as most of the onboard mic stuff I use is ambient anyway...For speech, and general audio I'm using a boom or lavs... then adding different backing, music and sound effects tracks.. I'd be surprised if the Sony mics have less noise pick up than either the Rode or the AT.

I suppose its the same mount on the EX as on the Z1 or very similar?
Cheers
Gareth

Jim Exton October 12th, 2007 12:44 PM

The RedRock follow focus is really good. Only $600.

They are coming out with a matte box for $500 that looks like it will be a must have as well.

Cavision follow focus units get good online reviews from people. While not build to Arri standards, the units are supposed to have zero play, making them ideal for professional productions.