Sony footage from the EX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony footage from the EX

Sorry if this was posted here before but I didn't see it and I thought some of you might be interested in seeing this Sony Promo for the EX.

All it takes is money money money ;-)

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...EX_index.shtml

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting the link Don,

It's early days still, and from such lo-res footage one must resist drawing any solid conclusions... but @ around 1:34 into this montage there is a brief street scene with high contrast areas on the pedestrians clothing - this shot is demonstrating some worryingly heavy CA/blooming. There is minor CA on some other shots too - although far less off-putting.

I'm concerned that Sony's new (and pretty smart) implementation of the manual/auto lens does have some downsides to it.

OK, so you might just put this down to compression artefacting but I doubt it, here's praying that this is just one of those early prototype floors that will be resolved (no pun intended) in production.

Roll-on the hands-on footage from more independant sources...

Dave.

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Elston View Post
OK, so you might just put this down to compression artefacting...
I don't think that CA could be caused by compression artifacts. In the shot you are referring to, Dave, it's clearly chromatic aberration. I remember reading somewhere that the camera is supposed to have an electronic compensation for CA built in....? Is that right? If that were the case, it's possible that the issue in the Sony video could be only a matter of early prototype that was/will be later resolved by updating the circuitry.
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As far as I understand, the CA-correction circuitry comes into play with the Sony wide converter mounted on the EX1.
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala View Post
I don't think that CA could be caused by compression artifacts.
CA (chromatic aberration) is one cause of fringing. Compression artifacts are another cause of fringing. But we've covered this ground before in our XL H1 forum.

Not all fringing is caused by CA (in fact, only a minority of fringing is caused by CA). Compression artifacts and chroma sampling issues are the most common cause of fringing. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Major Player

The image in question has a vertical pole that has slight green fringing on one side and purple on the other. My understanding is that this is CA, not compression artifacts.
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

even if it's CA, it's clearly not as bad as the Canon XL/XH cameras
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the clarification Chris,

I'm not 100% sure of course, as without the benefit of an uncompressed HD grab no one can be. Subjectively to my eyes however, thats what I would call it in this example.
My hunch is that the shot was taken in worst-case conditions where CA is most likely to reveal itself, ie. using a long(ish)-lens on a high-contrast scene in bright daylight conditions. A combination that experience tells most of us to be cautious of when running and gunning.

One thing that this video does confirm in my mind is that the severity of apparent CA is something that deserves further testing when the production models are out to play in a few weeks.

Take that as a polite request...

Thanks,
Dave.

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #9
Major Player

As I mentioned before:

"I remember reading somewhere that the camera is supposed to have an electronic compensation for CA built in....? Is that right? If that were the case, it's possible that the issue in the Sony video could be only a matter of early prototype that was/will be later resolved by updating the circuitry."

And yes, it doesn't seem as bad as the Canon or JVC HDxxx series. The CA on the JVC could be really bad. And it's caused by the optics/chip - no compression involved there.
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #10
Trustee

Based on Nigel's article, the EX shows little CA.
At least where he mentions the high contrast white swan against a dark background.

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=171
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Uh guys, it's an under $8,000 HD camera with a good but probably not great lense. Even the F950 series HDCAM with a $15,000 to $20,000 lense on the front has some CA fringe appear from time to time. I've seen it and worked around it and even just lived with it on occasion because it was barely noticeable and not a show stopper.

You cannot get a perfect one piece attached lense camera for under $8k.
But in this case I think you can get a good camera that meets more than 90% of your general Professional Broadcast HD production needs.

Even with some CA fringe,

Cheers.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
You cannot get a perfect one piece attached lense camera for under $8k.
I surely did not write that...???
I'm sure everyone knows about lens quality verses price. But, what we are hearing is this may be one of the better lens to be offered in this price range for a fixed lens camera.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Major Player

Sorry Steve that certainly wasn't aimed at you, it was just my own badly and broadly worded simple minded BS statement. I've read that the lense is good for the price as well. I guess I was afraid that we would see the same thing as on the JVC ProHD forum about a year ago where people were constantly trashing the standard lense for CA, which cost around $1,500. It got really old after a while.

I guess I can relax about that. A lot of smart people here so far. Certainly smarter than me. When the camera comes out I'm sure we'll share lots of war stories and work arounds.

Cheers.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
Uh guys, it's an under $8,000 HD camera with a good but probably not great lense. Even the F950 series HDCAM with a $15,000 to $20,000 lense on the front has some CA fringe appear from time to time. I've seen it and worked around it and even just lived with it on occasion because it was barely noticeable and not a show stopper.
Not unlike getting some CA on my F350 with a $16,000 lens on it. When I went to do some research on the CA issue, I learned that it's actually harder to minimize CA in the manufacture of HD lenses. If I can find the link again, I'll post it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Major Player

What about that supposed electronic compensation? I remember seeing a mention somewhere but cannot find it now...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds