DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Lens Size??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/106168-lens-size.html)

Daniel Boswell October 21st, 2007 09:23 PM

Lens Size???

I have asked this question is several threads and haven gotten answer yet.

Is it 72..82???

Just bought the Letus Extreme and need to know if I need a step up/down ring.

TIA!

Justin Benn October 21st, 2007 10:02 PM

Is it designed to work with 1/2" chips?

Doesn't this make a difference to the design? Just wondering out loud.

Jus.

Daniel Boswell October 21st, 2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Benn (Post 762491)
Doesn't this make a difference to the design? Just wondering out loud.

Jus.

Not sure what you mean. The Letus design?

Vaughan Wood October 21st, 2007 10:25 PM

77mm. pitch 0.75 mm (on lens).

Justin Benn October 21st, 2007 10:47 PM

1/3" versus 1/2"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell (Post 762494)

I meant, isn't there a reason why folks like P+S make different devices for your camera depending on chip size or am I missing something? Surely an imaging device designed to project light to a 1/3" capture chip will not natively work as well with a chip which is significantly bigger in area? Ie. you'd not be using the full extent of the larger chip, right?

Serena Steuart October 21st, 2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell (Post 762494)

The Letus website has no information about field of coverage, but I guess is designed for 1/3 inch sensors and smaller. You should ask them whether it will cover a 0.5" sensor with vignetting.

EDIT: I think there isn't a problem. The camera lens is focused at infinity using a supplementary lens to video an image on ground glass, so provided the ground glass is uniformly bright the primary lens takes care of coverage.

Steven Dempsey October 21st, 2007 11:27 PM

Daniel,

Where did you buy the Extreme? If it was from www.letusdirect.com then you were given a choice of 72mm or 82mm thread size. If you didn't choose one, it defaults to 72mm.

Daniel Boswell October 21st, 2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 762515)
Daniel,

Where did you buy the Extreme? If it was from www.letusdirect.com then you were given a choice of 72mm or 82mm thread size. If you didn't choose one, it defaults to 72mm.

Yeah..I bought it from their website and just chose 72mm not knowing what the EX was at the time. Adapter rings arent a big deal but i'd rather not use one if I don't have to.

David Koo October 22nd, 2007 06:15 AM

So it better to buy the Letus with 72mm or 82mm thread size?

Is it better to "step up" or "step down"?

Or maybe it doesn't matter...

Justin Benn October 22nd, 2007 08:21 AM

Love to try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 762509)
The Letus website has no information about field of coverage, but I guess is designed for 1/3 inch sensors and smaller. You should ask them whether it will cover a 0.5" sensor with vignetting.

EDIT: I think there isn't a problem. The camera lens is focused at infinity using a supplementary lens to video an image on ground glass, so provided the ground glass is uniformly bright the primary lens takes care of coverage.

I guess that makes sense. Guess I'll wait for some reports about what actually works in the field.