Shutter on/off at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 4,086
Shutter on/off

There was a discussion on this in this forum earlier on, and the conclusion I understood was the "off" position means one full exposure per frame, i.e. for 25p, it'd be 1/25th and for 1/24p, 1/24h and so forth... I cannot find confirmation of this in the Manual - there is a lot on auto vs manual shutter, plus the extra special shutter modes... Am I missing something?
__________________
Sony PXW-FS7 | DaVinci Resolve Studio; Magix Vegas Pro; i7-5960X CPU; 64 GB RAM; 2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU; Decklink 4K Extreme 12G; 4x 3TB WD Black in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe cache drive
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,777
Interesting thing, based on my understanding of the manual, is that the shutter speed for 50i and 50p can be 1/100 whereas for 60i and 60p it can be 1/60. I don't see 1/50.

See bottom of page 42.

It's not clear to me what the shutter speed is if set to OFF. I also kind find any reference to its OFF speed.

If OFF is 1/25 for PAL 50i 50p, Electronic shutter starts at 1/100. There's a jump there. no 1/50

Note 24p has 1/32 and 1/48 but no 1/24 but 1/24 might be OFF.

25p has 1/50 though (as well as 1/33).
30p has 1/40 1/50 1/60

So the odd thing is whether PAL 50i 50p shutter OFF is 1/25 or 1/50 and why is one of those not attainable (and which one).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Shutter OFF means there is NO SHUTTER. So your exposure is equal to the frame rate. 60i=1/60, 30P=1/30, 24P=1/24, 25P=1/25, 50i=1/50.

When you shoot in 24P, you'll have to remember to turn on the shutter and set it to 1/48 to emulate film motion blur.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,777
Thanks Greg. Now if they only put that in the manual.

I do think it's odd that electronic shutter (on) includes 1/60 but not 1/50.
It seems then one can get 1/60 on or off but 1/50 (for 50i/50p) shutter must be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Shutter OFF means there is NO SHUTTER. So your exposure is equal to the frame rate. 60i=1/60, 30P=1/30, 24P=1/24, 25P=1/25, 50i=1/50.

When you shoot in 24P, you'll have to remember to turn on the shutter and set it to 1/48 to emulate film motion blur.

-gb-
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Thanks Greg. Now if they only put that in the manual.

I do think it's odd that electronic shutter (on) includes 1/60 but not 1/50.
It seems then one can get 1/60 on or off but 1/50 (for 50i/50p) shutter must be off.
It shouldn't offer 1/60 in 60i mode, but in 30P, yes. I haven't looked at the manual yet. I think the reason Sony might not mention this is because this feature has traditionally been on full size pro cameras and it's expected that the operator knows that shutter off equals frame rate.

I had to get used to the shutter behavior myself after being spoiled by the XL2. It would automatically default to a 1/48 shutter when you put the selector on 24P.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,777
The odd thing then is that it does offer 1/60 in 60i (and 60p) with electronic shutter on. Page 42 of the manual. The real oddity though is that it's not consistent between 50 and 60. If you're shooting PAL and want 1/50 shutter MUST be OFF. but if you're shooting NTSC you can do either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
It shouldn't offer 1/60 in 60i mode, but in 30P, yes. I haven't looked at the manual yet. I think the reason Sony might not mention this is because this feature has traditionally been on full size pro cameras and it's expected that the operator knows that shutter off equals frame rate.

I had to get used to the shutter behavior myself after being spoiled by the XL2. It would automatically default to a 1/48 shutter when you put the selector on 24P.

-gb-
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
The odd thing then is that it does offer 1/60 in 60i (and 60p) with electronic shutter on. Page 42 of the manual. The real oddity though is that it's not consistent between 50 and 60. If you're shooting PAL and want 1/50 shutter MUST be OFF. but if you're shooting NTSC you can do either.
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. That's a good question to ask the Sony folks.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. That's a good question to ask the Sony folks.

-gb-
And it's this inconsistency that made me start this thread in the first place, even though I thought the "shutter on/off" thing has been clarified enough long ago...
__________________
Sony PXW-FS7 | DaVinci Resolve Studio; Magix Vegas Pro; i7-5960X CPU; 64 GB RAM; 2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU; Decklink 4K Extreme 12G; 4x 3TB WD Black in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe cache drive
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network