DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   UK Prices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/107154-uk-prices.html)

Paul Joy November 3rd, 2007 03:24 AM

UK Prices

Most retailers here in the UK are listing the EX1 at around £4650 inc 2 yrs warranty, 2 x 8Gb cards and VAT.

At the current exchange rate this converts to around $9700 (USD), which puts the UK price at 138% of the US price of $6999.

In comparison a V1 here costs £2,696 ($5632), where as the same cam is listed by B&H for $4699 so the UK pays 120% of the US price, which is more like what I'd expect given the effects of VAT and import duty etc.

Have those of you who have watched new cams released before seen a similar pattern or is the demand for the EX at present pushing the prices up here more than usual?

Paul.

Michael Mann November 3rd, 2007 03:33 AM

Paul, the same here in Germany:
Best offer I've seen so far is EUR 6,700.00 (incl. VAT), that's a "mere" $ 9,600.00 !
Consequently I tried to order from B&H in NY, but they are forbidden to sell the cam to Europeans. Annoying ... the least to say.

Paul Joy November 3rd, 2007 03:37 AM

Yes very annoying, mind you with the difference involved we could fly to New York, buy the camera, spend a few days looking around and still come back better off :)

[edit] £239 return with British Airways... I'm very tempted!

Phil Bloom November 3rd, 2007 03:46 AM

Nice plan Paul. I would probably do that if Sony had a proper worldwide warranty. My HDV deck I bought at B&H developed a fault so I had to send it back to the US. Sony UK said the warranty would not be honoured in the UK.

Doesn't the UK package have an extra 8gb card?

Paul Joy November 3rd, 2007 04:00 AM

Yeah that's the thing isn't it, and with it being a new camera there's a high risk of recall as happened with the V1 when it was released. I do wonder why there's such a difference in price for the European market though, I guess they just know they can get away with it so they do.

I'm just wondering if it might be worth holding back and seeing if the UK prices reflect the recent drop in the US prices. The reality is that although I'm keen to get one, I already have my A1 so my business isn't in desperate need, but I still want it now! :)

Martin Mayer November 3rd, 2007 04:10 AM

Cheapest I've seen here in UK is Production Gear/Video Gear (DVinfo sponsor) at £3795 ex. VAT = £4459 inc VAT (inc 2x8GB cards).

Joachim Hoge November 3rd, 2007 05:20 AM

As i posted elsewhere, in Norway it´s $10000 (before VAT which is 25%)
It does come with 2 * 8GB cards.
At least the price has dropped $2000 since it was anounced and I pre ordered, so that was a nice surprise.
Then the cost of everything is higher here so I guess it kind of evens out compared to the US.
I´m just happy the dollar is as weak as it is right now

Henry Olonga November 3rd, 2007 09:22 AM

Lower UK Price

Newbie here.I was originally quoted a price of around 4700 pounds but shopped around and found the lowest price of 4140 pounds inc VAT.As I am new here I don't want to bring non sponsor brands into conflict with sponsors but suffice to say that if you have a look at the various Sony dealers (on their website) in the UK you can get a better deal with a certain company, let's say they will make an impact .It was confirmed by the sales rep that extra 8 GB card is a Sony promo in Europe for any people who purchase before the end of the year so regardless of where you purchase the camera the card is thrown in by Sony.They were not sure as to how Sony would work the logistics of this; whether it is sent later, you register online or whether it is in the package.I suppose the rule of thumb is to shop around.I did not manage to get in the first batch which arrives next week or the week after I believe but will make the second batch which comes a week later.I was on the list to get one from the first batch from a different company which would have arrived on the 15th - I got the lower quote and to be honest for a 500 odd quid saving, I can wait a week.Hope this helps someone.

Has anyone in Europe worked out the feasibility of importing from Japan or the States?Is it even an option?Could save perhaps 800 pounds by my flimsy math.Would there be any issues with power?Recording Formats?Language? I presume the cameras are exactly the same which ever market they are sent to.

Michael Mann November 3rd, 2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 769467)
... £239 return with British Airways... I'm very tempted!

Me too. And the more I think about it, the better the idea gets.

Brian Leahy November 3rd, 2007 12:34 PM

B&H Photo lists camera at 6,699 dollars (including 8gig card) but they don't mention anything about a second card. Abelcine (also located in newyork city) lists camera at 6,699 dollars and say that you can register online and recieve second 8gig card. If you were to buy the camera over there, come back home , register online, would sony then only deliever card within US. B&H say on there website that "Purchases in our store are subject to an 8.375% local sales tax. This tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home".

Andrew Matis November 3rd, 2007 02:27 PM

The big swiss Sony distributors have relatively cheap prices. I've preordered my EX for CHF 9,450 (EUR 5,740 / USD 8,400) exkl. 7.6 % VAT., incl. two 8GB cards.

Michael Mann November 4th, 2007 03:22 AM

Andrew, could you please give me the name of your Swiss distributor. Sounds like a better offer compared to German distributors.

Alan Waters November 4th, 2007 10:39 AM

Would any of you guys chance buying a camera of that cost....EX1 works out at around 4,600euro + US vat.

What could you do if it developed a fault.....2k plus savings would be great but thats the question.

Phil Bloom November 4th, 2007 12:11 PM

its certainly cheaper. I would check with Sony about warranties. Maybe anywhere in europe gets silver support? But a us camera has to be returned to the states and no loan camera!

Phil Bloom November 6th, 2007 04:39 PM

My guy in London expects them in on Friday. Anyone else heard such a thing?