New software released - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #46
Trustee

This is not wobble.

I'd say no. The person capturing the footage at the show did not spend the time to set the camera up under those lighting conditions.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #47
Major Player

The flicker in the file 058B0102_01.mp4 looks like 50hz fluorescent lighting "beating against" the 24fps or 30fps photography.

That could be eliminated with a 1/25, 1/50 or 1/100 sec shutter, assuming those settings are available at 24p.

On another note, that footage, in all of its modesty, looks amazing! Really looking forward to shooting with this camera.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #48
Inner Circle

A note on the clip browser software itself: it's so primitive, that the viewer window can only adopt 2 sizes: defalt (small), or full screen (controls not visible). Frankly, this is the first time I cannot resize a window of a Windows program...

Dear Sony, if you are reading this - please fix it asap!
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #49
Trustee

The PDZ-1 software on the PC has always been very agricultural in its design to put it nicely.

It was obviously made by programmers for programmers!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #50
Major Player

Frankly, I find the Clip Browser Software poorly designed.
It could look and function Vegas-like.
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #51
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
Malcolm,

Yes. Avid Xpress and Media Composer has been able to use MXF for sometime now. I'm thinking though that HQ files might have to be converted, after the MXF rewrap, to a DNXHD type file because currently there isn't an MPEG 2 35mbit codec for those platforms. So I'm guessing that may end up being a slow process. On import you'll have to choose a DNXHD codec like DNXHD 145 or DNXHD 110. Hopefully Avid will quickly adopt a new long GOP 35mbit setting like they did for HDV "smart splicing" in a "near future" release.
....snip....
Actually David,

AVID products accross the board (this includes XPress Pro) have been supporting the MXF 35mbps codec since version X.5.5. Time to upgrade...

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Actually David,

AVID products accross the board (this includes XPress Pro) have been supporting the MXF 35mbps codec since version X.5.5. Time to upgrade...

Thierry.
Thank you Thierry... very good news for any of us who (like me) use Avid Xpress Pro.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #53
Major Player

Avid Does Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Actually David,

Thierry.
Thanks Thierry,

You right about the upgrade but it wasn't the version but the codecs package,
I actually have 5.5 but for some reason I had older v. 1.20 Avid Codecs LE/PE. That's why i was seeing the file but getting green screen playback.
Downladed and upgraded 1.60 Avid Codecs package and both the 1080/24 HQ and SP work fine. Sorry about the false alarm, my oversight.

So Avid Works Fine... and it is a good workflow. Just make sure you have the most updated codecs. Latest version dated in October 2007.

Cheers
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM   #54
New Boot

XDcam transfer system requirements

I've got a macbook pro 2Ghz intel core duo, with FCP 5.1.4. (FCP 6 soon)
In Xdcam transfer user guide chapter 2 it states that the
system requirement is 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.
Does this mean I have to buy a new macbook pro, just to go from a
intel core to a intel core 2?
Is there any other way of getting the media onto my laptop?
Jan Boersma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:06 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann View Post
Frankly, I find the Clip Browser Software poorly designed.
It could look and function Vegas-like.
Further on this: have you noticed that when idling (clip loaded in the viewer, but not playing back), the browser uses a lot of CPU resources! Gosh, it's up to 20% of my Core 2 Quadro!
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Further on this: have you noticed that when idling (clip loaded in the viewer, but not playing back), the browser uses a lot of CPU resources! Gosh, it's up to 20% of my Core 2 Quadro!
Well Piotr, it is not a 56kB Excel file this time what your PC is dealing with...:)
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
Thanks Thierry,

You right about the upgrade but it wasn't the version but the codecs package,
I actually have 5.5 but for some reason I had older v. 1.20 Avid Codecs LE/PE. That's why i was seeing the file but getting green screen playback.
Downladed and upgraded 1.60 Avid Codecs package and both the 1080/24 HQ and SP work fine. Sorry about the false alarm, my oversight.

So Avid Works Fine... and it is a good workflow. Just make sure you have the most updated codecs. Latest version dated in October 2007.

Cheers
If this is true it is sensational news! But are you absolutely sure about this? The XDCAM HD-format is NOT identical with the EX-format. The main difference being the resolution of 1920x1080. I have been told by Avid that only the 25 Mbit-resolution works with Media Composer and Xpress Pro. Xpress Pro does not support any version of the 35 Mbit-resolution and Media Composer needs a still not available update to be able to import 35 Mbit XDCAM EX-media.
If you have been able to do this please tell me about the details!
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds