New software released - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #16
Trustee

Just shoot 2 seconds of the floor if you have to (unless you have a copyright on your floor)
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Mac install

I installed 1.0 on my mac when it first came out. Then I installed 1.1 but I dont see that it is reading that I updated? Anyone else with this problem?

Here is a picture of what I get under preferences...
Attached Thumbnails
New software released-exsoftware.tiff  
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #18
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Just shoot 2 seconds of the floor if you have to (unless you have a copyright on your floor)
I think you'd need something with sync sound to do a proper MXF test...

Avid (AFAIK) specifically supports Sony's MXF format (OP1A). I'm sure it couldn't directly play these clips as at the moment it only supports the 1440 x 1080 raster size in HDV. I'm not sure the bitrate would be an issue - if it's an MPEG 2 codec with the same GOP should look the same to an HDV system - just harder to decompress (because its variable).
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Ashley View Post
I installed 1.0 on my mac when it first came out. Then I installed 1.1 but I dont see that it is reading that I updated? Anyone else with this problem?

Here is a picture of what I get under preferences...
Same issue here. Perhaps they failed to change the V number?
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #20
Inner Circle

ClipBrowser will not run on G5 Mac.

Just thought I'd note. ClipBrowser will not run on G5 Mac. Requirements show Intel Core 2 Duo 1GHz or higher
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
HQ files might have to be converted, after the MXF rewrap, to a DNXHD type file because currently there isn't an MPEG 2 35mbit codec for those platforms. So I'm guessing that may end up being a slow process//
Avid Liquid 7.2 is also MXF compatible and as I understand edit all flavors of MPEG 2 natively.
Thanks for your reply, David. I'm hoping that because Avid has it all figured out for Liquid, they may not take too long to make Xpress Pro MXF compatible. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #22
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Thanks for your reply, David. I'm hoping that because Avid has it all figured out for Liquid, they may not take too long to make Xpress Pro MXF compatible.

There is zero connection between Liquid and Avid. Liquid is now back with Pinnacle and is built in Germany. Avid only needed the Smart GOP patents from Pinnacle, not the code.

Liquid supports what it does because it was built, by FAST, from the ground-up as an MPEG-2 NLE. Something Avid is not.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
There is zero connection between Liquid and Avid//
Liquid supports what it does because it was built, by FAST, from the ground-up as an MPEG-2 NLE. Something Avid is not.
Thanks Steve... I didn't know that. Now I'm back to wondering how long it'll be before Xpress Pro catches up to the EX1. I know there are workarounds in the meantime...
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #24
Regular Crew

The direct link for the download is at:

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1193315622075

Simon's link takes you to the homepage and you have to navigate around a little to get to the download page.

I downloaded it again today and yes, it is reporting it as version 1.0 but that could be an error. As I don't have a camera yet I can't tell.

FYI, for all you Mac users out there, I just did a test install on a Leopard system and it seemed to install just fine (just the clip browser software, not the driver).

Obviously I could not test that either and I mention it here purely as a data-point.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #25
Wrangler

However, the Sony folks have mentioned that it runs only with INTEL Macs. There is going to be problems if they don't make it a Universal binary cause a lot of folks are still on Power PC processors.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #26
Trustee

The update is only relevant to PC owners. The PC software rewraps the footage to MXF, and that's what this update fixes. The Mac software is just a viewer.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Yes, I both a PPC Dual G5 and an Intel Mini. The clip browser only ran on the Mini. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a fair number of small post houses who bought Quad G5s at the end and now they're faced with having to replace them.

Addendum to Simon. The Mac software is JUST a viewer JUST on Intel Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
However, the Sony folks have mentioned that it runs only with INTEL Macs. There is going to be problems if they don't make it a Universal binary cause a lot of folks are still on Power PC processors.

-gb-
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #28
New Boot

Someone kept footages made by the EX1 in a exhibit in Paris.
Here is the link where you can download mp4 files.
http://www.vecomvideo.com/pages/test_ex1.htm
Alain Chaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #29
Trustee

This may or may not be an issue.

What will really count is whether the actual transfer software in FCP is compatible with non Intel Macs.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #30
Major Player

Simon, could you explain how the footage is captured in to final cut for me?

Does it use FCP's log & transfer window to choose files taken from the SxS media or does it use a separate plug-in or other external software?

Many thanks

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds