DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New software released (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/107367-new-software-released.html)

Simon Wyndham November 6th, 2007 01:33 PM

New software released

Just to let everyone know that Sony have updated the software for reading and exporting EX1 files on the www.sonybiz.net website so it now handles all types of EX footage.

Steven Thomas November 6th, 2007 01:41 PM

Awesome news Simon!

Simon Wyndham November 6th, 2007 02:21 PM

And I can confirm that it works as I've just re-wrapped 100 or so 1920x1080 files to MXF (zero quality loss, no recompresion needed) with it and loaded them straight onto a Vegas 8 timeline. :-)

Michael Mann November 6th, 2007 02:25 PM

Could you share just one of these files? Even a frame would do.
Thanks anyway, Simon.

Paul Cronin November 6th, 2007 02:42 PM

Simon do you have Final Cut to try it?

Simon Wyndham November 6th, 2007 03:18 PM

The Mac software is different to the PC one. The Mac will need the new version of the transfer software.

But in answer to your question, I do indeed have FCP to try it on :-)

David Parks November 6th, 2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham (Post 771200)
And I can confirm that it works as I've just re-wrapped 100 or so 1920x1080 files to MXF (zero quality loss, no recompresion needed) with it and loaded them straight onto a Vegas 8 timeline. :-)

Excellent. My Avid loves MXF. Just curious, how long did it take the software to convert/rewrap 100 files?

Paul Cronin November 6th, 2007 03:28 PM

Thanks Simon,

If you have the time it would be nice to know how easy it is to get 1920 x 1080 HQ into a FC time line.

Thanks you for all of you help learning the new EX over the last month.

Simon Wyndham November 6th, 2007 03:29 PM

It takes seconds to rewrap the file to MXF. Takes about as long as it would take to copy the file from one hard drive to another.

Paul Cronin November 6th, 2007 03:55 PM

Thanks Simon that is good news as I expected. I look foward to shooting with the camera once it arrives.

Malcolm Hamilton November 6th, 2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Parks (Post 771239)
Excellent. My Avid loves MXF. Just curious, how long did it take the software to convert/rewrap 100 files?

Hi David,
I see you're an Avid user (so am I). Will this conversion/wrapping process work for users of Avid Xpress Pro?
Thanks,
Malcolm

David Parks November 6th, 2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 771303)
Hi David,
I see you're an Avid user (so am I). Will this conversion/wrapping process work for users of Avid Xpress Pro?
Thanks,
Malcolm

Malcolm,

Yes. Avid Xpress and Media Composer has been able to use MXF for sometime now. I'm thinking though that HQ files might have to be converted, after the MXF rewrap, to a DNXHD type file because currently there isn't an MPEG 2 35mbit codec for those platforms. So I'm guessing that may end up being a slow process. On import you'll have to choose a DNXHD codec like DNXHD 145 or DNXHD 110. Hopefully Avid will quickly adopt a new long GOP 35mbit setting like they did for HDV "smart splicing" in a "near future" release.

But, I'm sure you will be able to edit in any number of project types, including 720/60p, 1080/24p, etc.using DNXHD and use MXF vs. OMF.

However, the SP datarate 25mbit should currently work fine, and should be much faster injest in an HDV project setting.

Also , Avid Liquid 7.2 is also MXF compatible and as I understand edit all flavors of MPEG 2 natively.

Simon Wyndham November 6th, 2007 05:45 PM

For compatibility you'll have to speak with Avid. I'm afraid I do not know much about Avid compatibility in this regard.

John Hewat November 6th, 2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham (Post 771200)

Any chance we can share these files and get them tested in CS3 as well? I'm desperate to find out how they'll work!

Simon Wyndham November 6th, 2007 06:37 PM

I'm afraid I will be unable to share the files for copyright reasons. Although I will endeavor to shoot some test shots for this purpose and perhaps make them available for download. I can't guarantee anything though as I will be very busy over the coming weeks.