Best microphone for PMW-EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best microphone for PMW-EX1?

Hello, i can't choosea microphone for my future ex1. I think about the MKH416 from Sennheiser but this masterpiece have not a lowcut filter. Are there separate lowcut filter for this microphone (small size, not a mixer)? Or the PMW-EX1 has one built in?

Alessandro Zumstein
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Zumstein View Post
Hello, i can't choosea microphone for my future ex1. I think about the MKH416 from Sennheiser but this masterpiece have not a lowcut filter. Are there separate lowcut filter for this microphone (small size, not a mixer)? Or the PMW-EX1 has one built in?

Alessandro Zumstein
What about the mic which comes with the Sony PDW-530P ? It's had some very good reviews.
Beatrice Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Trustee

Why don't you wait and test the built-in microphone that comes with the camera?

Stelios
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Best microphone for the EX1

Because the built in microphone of the ex1 is not a directional shotgun microphone but a stereo omnidirectional microphone.

Alessandro Zumstein
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Why not choose according to task not camera?

I don't understand how your choice of camera affects what microphone you want to buy. Please explain.

Justin.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Because the built in microphone of the ex1 is not a directional shotgun microphone but a stereo omnidirectional microphone.

Alessandro Zumstein
Ominidirectional.
Enough said there. LOL
The last thing I want is a recording of me swearing behind the camera. LOL
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Find the best solution

Hello users, i have no longer problems with chosing the ideal mikrophone.
Mi final chose, go to the Neumann KMR-81, this amazing high-end piece have a low cut fileter built in and a "limiter" switch. The price is a little higher than expected because "it's neumann".

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...id=kmr81i_data

Alessandro Zumstein
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Major Player

I would be looking at a good stereo shotgun. There are a few available, in the $600-1,400 range at B&H. Here are a few examples...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Shotgun.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ICROPHONE.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Shotgun.html
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm curious what the advantage would be to a stereo shotgun? It would seem to be at cross-purposes to itself, in that a shotgun is supposed to be focused in a single direction and yet it somehow would also have to provide enough separation between the channels to sound different than a mono mic on two channels. Where would you use something like that?
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sennheiser ME66

I've used the Sennheiser ME66 for years, first on my PD150, then the HVX200, and soon, perhaps, on the the EX1. It suits my needs fine, and I can't imagine that the near $1000 price difference for the Sennheiser 416 is worth it for camera-mounted run-and-gun type work.

B&H has a great package deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oid_Short.html
Michael Rehfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #11
Major Player

M + S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
I'm curious what the advantage would be to a stereo shotgun? It would seem to be at cross-purposes to itself, in that a shotgun is supposed to be focused in a single direction and yet it somehow would also have to provide enough separation between the channels to sound different than a mono mic on two channels. Where would you use something like that?
Well, I know there are circumstances when an M + S pair would be ideal on a mic - in addition to the directional mic (see Sennheiser's MKH 418 S), eg. for factual programming such as natural history or carefully controlled settings. Otherwise, I would be tempted to go for a directional shotgun mic and record additional tracks separately.

Of course, the choice of a PWM EX1 from Sony has absolutely NO bearing on this choice of mic, over and above the choice of any other camera.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
Some of these (if not all) have the ability to be switched between stereo and mono. Stereo is important for natural history programming or stock footage and a good quality mike like one of the ones I listed would certainly beat in quality the built-in microphone. If a directionality is required, it's a simple matter of switching that option on. A stereo mike is simply more versatile and if I get the EX1, that would be my choice.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala View Post
Some of these (if not all) have the ability to be switched between stereo and mono. Stereo is important for natural history programming or stock footage and a good quality mike like one of the ones I listed would certainly beat in quality the built-in microphone. If a directionality is required, it's a simple matter of switching that option on. A stereo mike is simply more versatile and if I get the EX1, that would be my choice.
I can confirm the M+S shotguns can be very useful; I have one (Edirol CS-50) to use almost exclusively on my V1E, but this camera hasn't got its own mic, so having both mono and stereo choice makes more sense. For the EX1, I'm buing a mono shotgun - the ECM-673 or above are good enough for general purpose use.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; November 13th, 2007 at 04:22 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #14
Major Player

I can second that, too. I have been using the Sennheiser MKH 418 (M-S-Stereo) for quite a while on my Canon A1. You always have all choices in post. If you should need only pristine mono (e.g. for dialouge), just drop the side channel in post, and you get a Sennheiser 416-quality sound.
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:

Alessandro Zumstein
Are you sure Alessandro?

Stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds